C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt Poly Bushing Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:20 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by ajg1915
That's not the case Micah. If you'll notice some of the Pfadt bushings came split and some did not.

The only you can not split are the ones for the rear shock absorber mounts.

The real mounting of the bushings (control arms) is the center pin area. The bushing itself reduces deflection (movement) which is the main reason that track guys use these.

VBP has used the split bushing design for years because they figured out that GM's control arms are not all the same dimensions inside diameter of control arms.

What happens if you're smaller on the diameter is that you get too much bushing hanging out the ends and thus you can not fit the control arm back into the cradle.

Hope that answers your questions. I really wish that Aaron would post better installation instructions and guidance on using his products.

I have had several discussions with him over the years regarding the lack of instuctions, etc... Not everyody is an engineer or has their own super garage to install these products.

Tony

Tony,

I called pfadt (as it sounds you have done also) and asked about this tight fight (if I can use the word loosey). Aaron said that I can also take a grinder and shave one end off a little to make things fit, so it may save me and Chucktown2012 the hassel of pressing the installed bushing out.

Appreciate the tips and advice on this matter. I also understand your statement about the other bushings being cut in half and my only arguement in that is this...those are all upper arms and the lower arms are all solid (rear section of the car), so that leads me to believe that the design was not meant to be cut and that was my concern.

Again, thanks!

Micah
Old 03-18-2011, 03:39 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by mph1972
Tony,

I called pfadt (as it sounds you have done also) and asked about this tight fight (if I can use the word loosey). Aaron said that I can also take a grinder and shave one end off a little to make things fit, so it may save me and Chucktown2012 the hassel of pressing the installed bushing out.

Appreciate the tips and advice on this matter. I also understand your statement about the other bushings being cut in half and my only arguement in that is this...those are all upper arms and the lower arms are all solid (rear section of the car), so that leads me to believe that the design was not meant to be cut and that was my concern.

Again, thanks!

Micah
VBP cuts all of theirs in half. Gringing down on the outer edge of the bushing could cause metal on metal rubbing because of the control arms rotating and twisting motion.

I would not grind the outer edges, but instead cut the bushing in half. You are picking up extra length because your inner diameter is narrower than the specification that Pfadt used to make the bushings.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:36 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

VBP cuts all of theirs in half. Gringing down on the outer edge of the bushing could cause metal on metal rubbing because of the control arms rotating and twisting motion.

I would not grind the outer edges, but instead cut the bushing in half. You are picking up extra length because your inner diameter is narrower than the specification that Pfadt used to make the bushings.
pfadt (Aaron) told me to grind down the outter edge of the bushing. It is his product and that is what I am going to do. It isn't going to take much. Also, the outter area I am grinding on is the flat area on the lower, rear, front bushing.

We will see.

Micah
Old 03-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Understand all. Bushings being shaved dwon equally on both sides will be minor. Also, you do realize that there are aluminum washers that physically touch the cradle? They dont move though. The bushing will be touching the a arm and the washer.
I have VB&P in my Vette, yes they are cut. But Pfadt recommended this and it will be fine.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:43 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Tony...

If all else fails...I will revert to your recommendation. I really am NOT trying to get into any sort of pissing match. This reminds me of a working on a car with a couple of alpha males and we all want to do the install differently.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:40 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Charleston2012
Understand all. Bushings being shaved dwon equally on both sides will be minor. Also, you do realize that there are aluminum washers that physically touch the cradle? They dont move though. The bushing will be touching the a arm and the washer.
I have VB&P in my Vette, yes they are cut. But Pfadt recommended this and it will be fine.
Yes, I am more acquainted with these bushings than I want to be. Personally I would recommend the VBP over the Pfadts, because of the problems that the Pfadts have with not fitting in correctly without doing a lot of grinding.

The control arms flex and if their is not enough material on the outside lip you could get some metal on metal grinding.

Originally Posted by mph1972
Tony...

If all else fails...I will revert to your recommendation. I really am NOT trying to get into any sort of pissing match. This reminds me of a working on a car with a couple of alpha males and we all want to do the install differently.

No pissing match, just some helpful hints from one who suffered for months trying to straighten out all of the problems I had getting them installed.

The front uppers were the worse as the "C" clips kept blowing off in any aggressive driving.

As I once read in a Forbes Magazine many years ago, "Many people receive advice but few profit by it". (i.e. not too many people listen to what other have to say), they rather learn from the school of hard knocks.

I've had enough lessons at the school of hard knocks and don't want any more lessons.

Most of all I'm tired of being a guinea pig for a bunch of these vendors selling kits like this one with no instructions or information about problems you may encounter when buying their product.

Here's a few pictures from my install with my buddy Zenak.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:52 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Wow guys Cutting, grinding, and paying good money for these parts...that are SUPPOSED to be made for a C5?

I certainly hope you won all your races...as a result of the bushings..
Old 03-18-2011, 07:36 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Wow guys Cutting, grinding, and paying good money for these parts...that are SUPPOSED to be made for a C5?

I certainly hope you won all your races...as a result of the bushings..
I never loose.

Tony,

I definitely see your point and I may cut vice grind. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

I will keep you posted.

Micah

Quick Reply: Pfadt Poly Bushing Install