C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! Having issues with some exterior lights and interior dash lights.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 PM
91GreatWhiteShark
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! Having issues with some exterior lights and interior dash lights.

Hello everyone! Newbie here. I have read the thread about electrical and it is definitely alot of information to absorb so I will list the issues I have on my 98 Coupe and hopefully I can get some help here.

#1. The dash lights were intermittent for a while and now they are completely off when I turn the headlights on.

#2. The fog lights stopped working and the push switch in the car does not light up anymore when I depress it.

#3. Now my rear tails and rear side markers do no light up when the head lights are turned on. The turn signals, hazards, brake lights and reverse lights work just fine. The headlights both low and high beams work just fine as well.

Your guidance and help will be most appreciated!!!!

Thank you, Jorge
Old 10-19-2010, 10:29 PM
91GreatWhiteShark
Burning Brakes

^^^Thank you! I did a search as well and came up with the electrical sticky. I guess the ones you pointed out didn't come up. But will this correct my fog light issue as well?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:45 PM
91GreatWhiteShark
Burning Brakes

Anyone know the part number for the "multi-funtion switch" from GM or does anyone have a nice used one for a 98 Coupe A4?

Thank you!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:43 PM
91GreatWhiteShark
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=8VETTE7;1575673698]
Originally Posted by 91GreatWhiteShark
^^^Thank you! I did a search as well and came up with the electrical sticky. I guess the ones you pointed out didn't come up. But will this correct my fog light issue as well?[/QUOTE]

Very likely it will. For the fog lamps to work you must have either the parking light or the low beam headlamps on and obviously they are controlled by the multifunction switch.

All the items you are having problems with are either directly or indirectly controlled by that switch and it is problem-matic as you will see if you did a search and some reading.
Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
It's not an inexpensive component. Here's a link to the part from Gene Culleys GMPARTSHOUSE.COM

http://www.gmpartshouseusa.com/partl...layCatalogid=0

If it were me I would certainly consider the rebuild/repair route. A used one is likely well on it's way to the status of yours now. Just my 2 cents.....

Thank you on both cases! I belong to other forums, so I know the search function. But sometimes it takes key words in order to get the info you are looking for. I had no idea it was called a multifunction switch until now, which I truly appreciate you chiming in and shedding some light. I also went to gm parts house to find a new one and again, did a search and didn't find it on the site. Thank you either way. Your help and advice is most appreciated and I will definitely do the repair/rebuild first. I'm just one to cover all my basis since I will have everything apart.

Thank you once again, Jorge
Old 10-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Dream C5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car did the same thing before u attack the multiswitch, check mini fuse #6 in the passenger footwell probably blown.
The following users liked this post:
patjohnson8916 (01-22-2017)
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 AM
91GreatWhiteShark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dream C5
My car did the same thing before u attack the multiswitch, check mini fuse #6 in the passenger footwell probably blown.
Awesome! Thank you! I'll check that out as soon as I get home. I had a 91 and I knew the car inside and out. The 98 I also have had a while, but knock on wood, I haven't had the need to start working on anything up until now. Just the typical maintance. Now that I am having issues with it, I am beginining to learn more about the car and the gremlins that can cause problems.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 PM
91GreatWhiteShark
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=8VETTE7;1575680767][QUOTE=91GreatWhiteShark;1575673926]

Multifunction Switch or Multifunction Lever is how the lever is referred to in the owners manual and that has carried onto many of the references on the Forum.

QUOTE]

Got it! Thank you again for your help!

Last edited by 91GreatWhiteShark; 10-20-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:52 PM
91GreatWhiteShark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dream C5
Well checked that out and the fuse is good, so it looks like the multifunction switch it is.. Hopefully that solves the issues that I have. I'll keep everyone posted of the progress.

I would like to thank 8VETTE7 and Dream C5 for your input. I really thought and expected I would get more responses to be quite truthful. I heard so many good things about the forum and how helpful its members can be. I know I am a newbie here, I do use the search feature, but I am still learning about my C5 and don't know a whole lot about the typical gremlins you have all encountered. I do need to thank my lucky stars that for as long as I have owned the car, this is the first time I had to do something more to it besides the regular maintenance.

Anyways, I will keep all that are interested up to date with what I find.

Thank you, Jorge
Old 10-28-2010, 10:01 PM
91GreatWhiteShark
Burning Brakes

Got the switch replaced today by a friend who owns a shop. The switch took care of all of the problems minus the fog lights. They still don't turn on. The fog light button works though. Checked all the fuses, all good there. Any advice???

Thank you, Jorge
Old 10-28-2010, 10:12 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 10-29-2010, 11:15 AM
91GreatWhiteShark
Burning Brakes

^^^^^^^^

Thank you for the schematic. I appreciate it! Only problem is, I undestand some of it, but not all. Sorry! I'm not an engineer or electrician.

Is there anyone that can guide me and answer my question or help me decipher the schematic?

Thank you.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:44 AM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Does the Fog Lamp Indicator on the Switch come ON, when the Switch is pushed??? If so, the Fuse and Relay are working Properly.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:31 PM
91GreatWhiteShark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by byronhunter
Does the Fog Lamp Indicator on the Switch come ON, when the Switch is pushed??? If so, the Fuse and Relay are working Properly.
Yes they do.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:49 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Bulbs--------Circuit #34-------Circuit #150
Old 10-29-2010, 10:19 PM
91GreatWhiteShark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by byronhunter
Bulbs--------Circuit #34-------Circuit #150
10-4. I'll check them out Sir. Thank you!

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!!! Having issues with some exterior lights and interior dash lights.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! Having issues with some exterior lights and interior dash lights.