C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Motor with Maggie or a 427 ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:15 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

there is no gut wrenching TQ with a maggie, or any FI for that matter ...IMO

build a badass NA motor, then you will feel instant TQ
Old 10-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by ~Joshua
Yeah, how much money you got in all that in comparison to getting the same power from a much more cost effective blower?
Again, to get to those power levels with a blower you have to have boost at a level that the stock block won't handle it for long so you have to figure in the cost of a forged bottom end with the cost of the blower.

If you are building a short block anyway, it doesn't cost that much more to go bigger, certainly not any more than the cost of a blower.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:25 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Yeah, how much money you got in all that in comparison to getting the same power from a much more cost effective blower?
Cost effective is a relative term. Most people don't account for their own time in a project. The key to what Brian said was this word
simplicity

Is the blower cheaper to make 600+ hp ? Yes it is but that does not make it better.
can drive it anywhere.
is the second part and is where the
simplicity comes into play.

Some people like all motor cars
Old 10-29-2010, 01:52 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
there is no gut wrenching TQ with a maggie, or any FI for that matter ...IMO

build a badass NA motor, then you will feel instant TQ
He's got 4:10's so he has plenty of grunt off the line. The Maggie with that rear would be a perfect match and a lot less expensive than the
LS7 but like I said that is a magic number for most of us and quite desirable.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:17 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by craig04c5
He's got 4:10's so he has plenty of grunt off the line. The Maggie with that rear would be a perfect match and a lot less expensive than the
LS7 but like I said that is a magic number for most of us and quite desirable.
I have 4.10s as well, and I sure wouldnt want this gear with FI...

and what one finds as "grunt" is relative. ive been in both, driven both, and raced both...there is a reason I spent money on a bigger cube motor than a hairdryer
Old 10-29-2010, 02:55 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 334 Likes on 208 Posts

How about a 427 with a maggie!
Old 10-29-2010, 03:49 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark C5
Again, to get to those power levels with a blower you have to have boost at a level that the stock block won't handle it for long so you have to figure in the cost of a forged bottom end with the cost of the blower.

If you are building a short block anyway, it doesn't cost that much more to go bigger, certainly not any more than the cost of a blower.
Kidding, right?

There's plenty of people in the FI section with 600+rwhp on stock engines (search the 1st page even) - In fact, my last LS1 had over 600rwhp on the stock engine. Drove it 20k miles all over the southeast before I sold the car.

Right now on the first page, an '03z with stock engine except for headers and intake with a meth kit and 9psi is pushing 680+rwhp.

Long after any N/A motor has used all the tricks, a boosted engine is just getting started.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Kidding, right?

There's plenty of people in the FI section with 600+rwhp on stock engines (search the 1st page even) - In fact, my last LS1 had over 600rwhp on the stock engine. Drove it 20k miles all over the southeast before I sold the car.

Right now on the first page, an '03z with stock engine except for headers and intake with a meth kit and 9psi is pushing 680+rwhp.

Long after any N/A motor has used all the tricks, a boosted engine is just getting started.
I never said you couldn't achieve those power levels on a stock block. What I said is it won't stand up to it for long. If you don't push it sure, but get on it often and you're begging for trouble. Not so with a big cube motor.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:17 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Kidding, right?

And I just got off the phone with someone who 22,000 miles later has a tired engine and is having a proper engine built for FI now.
There are two sides to the coin.

No one is arguing that FI makes exponentional more power, but you aint using it on the streets anyway. At 600 rwhp traction is sketchy at best anyway so anything beyond that is really just for dyno racing/bragging... unless your running a dedicated drag car.

Tire spin at 100 is cool to say until you put it into the gaurd rail.

Last edited by 99blancoss; 10-29-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:15 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
And I just got off the phone with someone who 22,000 miles later has a tired engine and is having a proper engine built for FI now.
There are two sides to the coin.
Who knows the story on that 22k mile engine and it's tune, did you tune it?

No one is arguing that FI makes exponentional more power, but you aint using it on the streets anyway. At 600 rwhp traction is sketchy at best anyway so anything beyond that is really just for dyno racing/bragging... unless your running a dedicated drag car.

Tire spin at 100 is cool to say until you put it into the gaurd rail.
You make no sense...

And another thing, what the hell does your last sentence have to do with this thread?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:58 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark C5
To get 750 HP out of 346 CI requires boost levels that will make short work of a stock bottom end. You have to go forged. When you combine the price of the forged bottom end, the supercharger and supporting hardware you could have just gone bigger cubes and ended up with the same money spent.

Well, yeah, I was assuming a forged bottom, but good luck getting that kind of power NA. 346s are capable of lots more than 750, I was just picking a number that was unreachable NA. As far as dollars spent go, the sky's the limit, either way, however, FI's gonna get you more power. Ask the guy that has a couple of threads about his custom block, big cubes motor, and see what he says about a NA build; dollar-wise.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:14 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Josh

It was a stock motor that was the whole point.
His tune is fine, nothing wrong with the engine just that the FI has worn things down and its down on power and getting blow-by so now he wants to do it right. He's keeping the FI but we're going to build him an engine that was meant for it at the correct compression and he is going to turn up the boost and be worry free.

last sentence was this:... there is only so much power you can use unless your drag racing and or are on a prepped track. It makes perfect sense and it addressed your argument in the quotes. You like boost I understand but there is a negative side to it that you wont acknowledge so there is no sense talking with you about it, your in denial. .... not to mention it weighs how much on the nose of the 50/50 Vette there by altering it's weight distribution. You don't want a nose heavy car in the corners.

Yes I think boosted engine are awesome we build for them all the time, but they are not the end all when it comes to performance. Simplicity has its advantages. FI can be done right and be dependable but it is not cheap by any means to do it as such.. where you don't have to work on the car all the time to keep it running perfect all the time just by adding gas to it and the occasional meth.

Its good for some people but not for everyone, there should not be a need to argue about it. Its personal taste.

Last edited by 99blancoss; 10-29-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zeevette
Well, yeah, I was assuming a forged bottom, but good luck getting that kind of power NA. 346s are capable of lots more than 750, I was just picking a number that was unreachable NA. As far as dollars spent go, the sky's the limit, either way, however, FI's gonna get you more power. Ask the guy that has a couple of threads about his custom block, big cubes motor, and see what he says about a NA build; dollar-wise.
You are missing my point. If you are going to build the short block anyway, why not go bigger? It doesn't cost that much more and it's trouble free power. Once you start running boost levels that require a forged bottom end, it's no longer "cheap". If money is no object then sure, add a blower to a big cube motor and you've got something. Nothing you could ever use on the street, but something.

As to "the guy", you can always find people who have had trouble with whatever you they are trying to accomplish. There are plenty of threads on here about people having problems with stock block rebuilds.

Last edited by Mark C5; 10-29-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Brian Tooley C5
Instructor

At 600 rwhp traction is sketchy at best anyway so anything beyond that is really just for dyno racing/bragging... unless your running a dedicated drag car.
Funny you mention this, at 600 rwhp I never broke anything. At 700 rwhp I broke a sprag in the tranny, broke the rearend, etc, my car never made it 60 feet with that much power.

These cars are good at 600 rwhp in terms of parts breakage, and will run high 9's, above that threshold it gets problematic fast...
Old 10-29-2010, 09:16 PM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dankhts
Old 10-29-2010, 09:51 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by dankhts
You would have to make the motor all soft with low compression. Compression bleeds off boost. With a right cam and great heads the proper built NA motor will beat the pants of the first car to 160mph. Peak HP number are for supras and dyno queens.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:06 PM
BHRZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

427 hands down

Get notified of new replies

To Stock Motor with Maggie or a 427 ??

Old 10-29-2010, 10:35 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 334 Likes on 208 Posts

Hot rodded cars are like boats - I have a few of each and a long time ago when I was a young fella an old guy told me he's never met a guy yet who said he had enough horsepower either in a car or a boat, and I finally agree with him

Soooooooooooooooo do it right the 1st time, I wish I did!
Old 10-30-2010, 11:17 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Price of an LS7 crate engine: $14,000
Price of a new polished Maggie with hood and paint: $8,500
Price of a polished Kenne Bell with hood and paint: $8,500

Price of having a KB that can support almost any engine you upgrade to in the future: priceless.

Wow this thread took off.. Glad to see the opinions.. More info here is needed from me..

I mechanically overrevved my motor going to 2nd instead of 4th going through the traps 2 years ago.. The car since then has a tick.. Checked the pushrods and the valves seem ok (did a compression check) but not a leak down..Think I have a blown lifter..

Anyway.. The motor scares me now and putting a blower on without doing more deeper investigative replacement of parts.. soooooo.. Thinking that I can probably pick up a 427 from another builder who changed his mind might be a good idea.. and almost as cheap..

Not going crate motor.. I can bulletproof my current motor and supercharge it for the price of the 427 crate..
Old 10-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that's thinking with the big head!! Strapping a blower on a suspect engine is like putting a match to your wallet. Same outcome: you're broke. If I had the coin I'd be doing big cubes as well. Good luck on the build, and post the story!

Quick Reply: Stock Motor with Maggie or a 427 ??