C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove spark plug wires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:25 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by NatB
Wow, old thread.
Sure is!!

I wonder if the OP ever got his wires off, and new plugs installed....
Old 10-07-2015, 10:14 PM
jthiesen1169
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread, but I came across it because I am having the same issues trying to get them off.

Earlier in the thread, the OP stated that the metal shields are no longer available. In looking for plug wires now because of what was said about destroying them to get them off and also about the age and mileage on them, I came across the metal shields on Amazon. Here's the script of the part:

ACDelco 8006 GM Original Equipment Spark Plug Wire Heat Shield
Click to open expanded view

ACDelco 8006 GM Original Equipment Spark Plug Wire Heat Shield
from ACDelco
12 customer reviews
List Price: $28.78
Price: $7.90 & FREE Shipping on orders over $35. Details
You Save: $20.88 (73%)
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
Want it Friday, Oct. 9? Order within 6 hrs and choose Two-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
A Spark Plug Heat Shield reflects radiant heat, preventing lasting damage to the wire
The same part as your GM vehicle's original factory component
Offering the quality, reliability, and durability of GM OE
Designed with GM Original Equipment specification for fit, form, and function
› See more product details
14 new from $3.93
Note: ACDelco partners with other manufacturers to supply the parts your car was originally built with. This product is in an ACDelco package, however the part may have been manufactured by an independent ACDelco supplier and could have a different color or shape than the product image above.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:21 PM
BamaZR1
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rboineau
Well, at least a couple of you people actually tried to help me, and I thank you. The rest of you are jerks.
Did you really expect anything more..or less... in a corvette website?

Last edited by BamaZR1; 04-12-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:53 AM
tondelayo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Removing Air Tube opens access to #7 plug

In addition to the good advice above, I found the following page which tells you to remove the air tube from the exhaust manifold and move the tube upward to give you good access to #7 plug:

http://www.iammoon.com/images/c5tech/plugs/remove7.jpg
Old 06-16-2016, 12:37 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by rboineau
So no one has managed to get wires off without destroying them and damaging the heat shields as well? Using pliers on the heat shields will sure as hell mar them and that's not what I'm looking for. And at 8000 miles on a garage-kept car I don't think I should have to destroy perfectly good wires in this process, even if new ones are fairly cheap, especially as I plan to re-use the plugs if intact after applying more anti-seize to the threads.

I cannot believe everyone is so willing to mar up or destroy the heat shields and ruin good plug wires. What a ****-poor design and situation.
Why do you need to pull the wires and plugs on a "8000 mile garage kept" car? Those are 100000 mile plugs. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you are adamant about it spray some WD40 on the boots. Enough to run down to the bottom of the boot. It will wick up and unstiction the boot overnight.

Last edited by norcalace; 06-16-2016 at 12:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SaxyVette (06-16-2016)

Quick Reply: How to remove spark plug wires?