C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic Oil or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 AM
crainholio
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched my truck (Toyota 4.7L V8) from Mobil-1 5W-30 to their "High Mileage" synthetic 5W-30...more zinc and other anti-wear additives according to the spec sheet...and I'm noticing the engine noises I previously had are gone.

With the regular Mobil-1 it had a bit of piston slap-sounding noise at cold (<30degF) startup, and an audible tick at idle similar to a lifter tick. Neither sounded catastrophic, but were noticeable, and are now gone w/ the High Mileage synth.

I'd been running M-1 high mileage 10W-40 in my LS1 last season and the engine was happy. Quiet and very little oil consumption compared to M-1 5W-30. I'll try the High Mileage 5W-30 in it this Spring when hybernation is over.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 AM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Boldcall
I won't be due for an oil change for a while yet, but when I do get to that point, what should I use, synthetic or conventional oil? My Vette is a simple 2003 LS1 with automatic. Thanks for your input...

Steve
GO to sears--they have 50 gallon drums of used oil--I believe they will fill up your 2 gallon can for $2.57-- You will get a blend of syn. and conv. along with many brands--

Last edited by bobby777; 01-05-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:50 PM
T A WS6 M6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobby777
GO to sears--they have 50 gallon drums of used oil--I believe they will fill up your 2 gallon can for $2.57-- You will get a blend of syn. and conv. along with many brands--
Jeez people. Take it easy on the guy. It's obviously his first experience with a vehicle like this. Heaven forbid he asks some odd questions. You know, there are some communities that see conventional as better stuff than synthetics for their application.

Originally Posted by rws.1
Any oil that meets GM4718M.
PS only synthetic oils do.
It is a spec that covers hight temperature operation.

Buy any brand you trust that meets the spec
Common ones are
Formula Shell full synthetic
Pennzoil Platinum
Quaker State Horsepower
Mobil 1
Valvoline Synthetic
Castrol Edge
Castrol Syntec
This is probably the most rational, well thought-out response in this thread. Take this advice, and don't get too caught up on the brand. I've personally used many different brands in my various Gen III/IV small blocks, and not one blew up my motor or made it dead quiet with 30 extra horsepower. I'm not a fan of Mobile 1, but it will work just fine, as will any other brand mentioned by rws, plus a few others like Royal Purple or Amsoil.

Enjoy your Corvette!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by bobby777
FAIL!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:11 PM
retired cop
Instructor

Why doesn't the f bodys require synthetic oil its the same engine? I use Penzoil Platinum. I just always wanted to know the reason.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hdff
there is no reason that the 327 in the silverado shouldn't have mobil 1 in it also, there is no reason why you shouldn't want the best protection for what ever you drive. a 5 qt jug of mobil 1 is about $24 at wally world and a premium filter( i use k&n oil filter) is about $12. cars are to expensive to not use the best.
Try this for K&N filters: http://www.corvetteguys.com/corvette-oil-filters.html (& $0.00 shipping). I also use Amazon for these filters...when you purchase 3 filters, it's a little over $9 each. Either place is fine with me, based on my experience.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by retired cop
Why doesn't the f bodys require synthetic oil its the same engine? I use Penzoil Platinum. I just always wanted to know the reason.
I know ET answered this question a while back and it seems like it had to do with they way they breath, corvette is a bottom breather and the camaro breaths from the front bumper. They may also run at different temps but Im not sure.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:09 PM
retired cop
Instructor

ok just wondering why
Old 01-06-2011, 04:21 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by retired cop
ok just wondering why
Well Im not positive but it seems like thats what I remember him saying, but personally I would run synthetic in the camaro too.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:35 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Conventional oil would work just fine if you followed regular change intervals and didn't track the car. The synthetic will work better for severe duty use such as in track conditions and is specified for the car in case it is used for that purpose, and b/c the oil life monitor is programmed for synthetic (longer change interval).

Some people here tend to obsess about what weight, what kind, what brand etc. and many just mostly polish the car and drive it a couple thousand miles a year. With that kind of use it wouldn't matter what kind of oil they ran. Others obsess about gaining longevity by using a certain brand or type, yet they are power junkies and rebuild or replace the motor before it's near worn out anyway.

I deal with work vehicles that have 250K+ miles on them still running strong on conventional oil. I do like to run synthetic b/c I can get away with longer change intervals in my personal vehicles mainly just b/c I'm lazy and would like to change the oil less frequently.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:13 PM
retired cop
Instructor

When I was working we ran the patrol cars really hard. 2 hours idling in 90 degree weather, full throttle code 3 runs. One morning we had a chase that lasted almost 45 mins, full throttle all the way. The dept used cheap bulk oil and in 15 years we only blew 2 motors. These were 4.6 liter Fords. After 120,000 miles the cars were auctioned off. They were mostly sent to Haiti to be used as cabs. Regular oil is not bad. But like I said I use Pennzoil Platinum but I think you could run a vette on regular oil. You cant imagine the abuse a patrol car takes I felt sorry for them LOL!!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:20 PM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by m6 c5
I know ET answered this question a while back and it seems like it had to do with they way they breath, corvette is a bottom breather and the camaro breaths from the front bumper. They may also run at different temps but Im not sure.
They don't run at different temps and air intake through a proper filter isn't going to matter.

The only reason is that one car has a Corvette badge on it.

When is full synthetic really full synthetic? Seems to me that most oils labled full synthetic now are using highly refined dino as the base stock.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 PM
retired cop
Instructor

Maybe Mobil greased GMs wallets
Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 PM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctusser
Conventional oil would work just fine if you followed regular change intervals and didn't track the car. The synthetic will work better for severe duty use such as in track conditions and is specified for the car in case it is used for that purpose, and b/c the oil life monitor is programmed for synthetic (longer change interval).

Some people here tend to obsess about what weight, what kind, what brand etc. and many just mostly polish the car and drive it a couple thousand miles a year. With that kind of use it wouldn't matter what kind of oil they ran. Others obsess about gaining longevity by using a certain brand or type, yet they are power junkies and rebuild or replace the motor before it's near worn out anyway.

I deal with work vehicles that have 250K+ miles on them still running strong on conventional oil. I do like to run synthetic b/c I can get away with longer change intervals in my personal vehicles mainly just b/c I'm lazy and would like to change the oil less frequently.
Thank you, I have 3- 6.0 liter silverados 2500 (work vehicles)a 02,05,09 all have had nothing but conventional oil in them and have gone 8000 miles at times between oil changes the 02 has 160k on it and the 05 has 140k never any problems due to oil. Now my 04 z06 does get mobile 1 every 3000 miles but its my toy and a high performance engine so i treated better. Oil is Oil daily drivers dont last forever.JMO

Steve
Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kp1
They don't run at different temps and air intake through a proper filter isn't going to matter.

The only reason is that one car has a Corvette badge on it.

When is full synthetic really full synthetic? Seems to me that most oils labled full synthetic now are using highly refined dino as the base stock.
It was the air intake temp that he was referring to if Im not mistaken, as the vette getts hotter air right off the road and the camaro is cooler as it is taken from higher up. And I know that with the camaro the air intake temp is within a few degrees of the outside air temp where the vettes is several degrees higher.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:30 PM
narfdanarf
Pro

The conventional I use costs more than most synthetics, but it's not about money, it's about superior lubrication and high load carrying capability with a lot of zinc.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 PM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use what ever makes you feel comfy. Oils are different, they all have different additive packages, but all oils will protect your engine from oil related failures so long as you keep it changed regularly.
Oil essentially get dirty at the same rate for a given interval, but conventional oil begins to lose its viscosity much sooner and therefore should be changed sooner than synthetic oil. But if you're a 3000 mile/3 month kinda guy, the use whatever you like because any oil will give protection under those intervals.

Any SM rated oil will be just fine. Obviously though, the Mobil 1 5w-30 or 10w-30 is manufacturer recommended.

I run Mobil 1 10w-30 currently, but may be switching to Castrol Edge for giggles. I also prefer Valvoline conventional oil, if I were to go that direction, due to it's low ash content.

Get notified of new replies

To Synthetic Oil or Not?

Old 01-07-2011, 05:28 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My previous BMW had 16000 miles on the FIRST synthetic oil change, and even then they reluctantly changed it. The new oils are just that good. IMHO, unless you are tracking the car this subject is moot. BMW would never risk new turbo engines under warranty just to save a few bucks on oil changes. Just wont believe it, way overhyped this oil change thing.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:33 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Boldcall
I won't be due for an oil change for a while yet, but when I do get to that point, what should I use, synthetic or conventional oil? My Vette is a simple 2003 LS1 with automatic. Thanks for your input...

Steve
Steve,
Confirming what others have said above, the owner's manual spec for your 03 is GM 4718M which required a synthetic to meet, though not all synthetics met it. The basis behind requiring a synthetic was the high heat the oil could see in a car designed to operate without an oil cooler in a performance application.

Making things a little more complicated for you, this year GM came out with a new spec, Dexos1, that replaced both their prior synthetic spec (GM 4718M) and conventional spec (GM 6094M). They say that this oil is backwards compatable and over time you are going to see fewer and fewer oils labeled to meet GM 4718M which I'm not sure exists anymore. Also complicating things, to meet Dexos1 can probably be done with a synthetic blend, though most Dexos1 oils will likely be at least Group III highly hydroprocessed mineral oil (allowed to be labeled as synthetic by the NAD) similar to the vast majority of synthetic oils on the market today.

AMSOIL already has two Group III synthetic oils on the market labeled for Dexos1 and will likely change their two Group IV PAO synthetics basestock oils for Dexos1 this year.
AMSOIL XL Synthetic 5w30 (Product Code XLFQT)
AMSOIL OE Synthetic 5w30 (Product Code OEFQT)

Here is an interesting article on Dexos1 in a lubricant industry periodical:
Will Dexos Tease the Synthetic Tier

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Last edited by C66 Racing; 01-09-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Subdriver
Here is an interesting article on Dexos1 in a lubricant industry periodical:
Will Dexos Tease the Synthetic Tier
Very interesting article indeed!

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil or Not?