C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Line Replacement Front

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 04:16 PM
vette747
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Cooler Line Replacement Front

Hi,

The 97 z51 C5 is in storage for the winter. I started it because I needed to move it in the garage to have more room for an oil change. When I put it back in the garage, I saw red oil drop on the garage floor. I checked the tranny and it was ok. (I replaced it a couple of year ago). So I checked the oil cooler lines. I found the leak coming from the lower oil cooler line close to the radiator. The leak comes from a small hole at the adapter connecting the metal tube to the rubber hose. See picture below.

I that time I was not too concerned until I read the replacement steps in the shop manual. There are 32 steps for removal including : -Discharge A/C system; -Disconnect the Power Steering shaft; -Move the PS gear and cooler forward; -Remove the RH engine mount.

This is a lot of work to replace the oil cooler line. I also have to do it on jack stand.

Question #1: Do we need to do all GM steps to replace the hose? I know some time folks finds shortcut on GM recommended step.

Question #2: I know it is not the best solution, but could I cut the leaking segment and install a rubber hose with Stainless Steel Hose Clamps we use in plumbing? I did it when I installed a tranny oil cooler on the C4 and it hold very well even at track. Not sure if there is more pressure on the C5 tranny.

Thanks in advance.

ByeC.
http://pages.videotron.com/vette747/
Old 05-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have this problem on a C6. No updates?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:45 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Default cooler lines

I just went through this on my 2001. I had pulled the engine for a rebuild and I forgot to put the cooler lines back in before I put the cradle back. I tried every thing I could think of to get them in without following the gm service manual. I ended up lowering the cradle supporting the motor from above, removing the AC compressor, bracket and loosening the right motor mount to get the lines back in. I hope you can find a way but I could not and bit the bullet and followed the S/M procedure. I even got my nephew, a 20 year plus GM Tech to look it over and short of cutting and splicing he could see no other way either. Good luck and I hope you find a shortcut.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Cooler Line Replacement Front

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Line Replacement Front