C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention all owners of heads/cam install: How much HP is there in tuning??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 10:19 PM
CAracer
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Attention all owners of heads/cam install: How much HP is there in tuning??

I was curious how much HP can one find with the proper tuning of the PCM?
I'm using the MAFT and was wondering if I'm getting the full potential of the mods. Besides raising the rev limiter and idle, where is the hidden power?

I know most of you have had your car done in shops and the tuning was part of the install. How about you self installers.

Any opinions or comments would be helpful.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:30 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Attention all owners of heads/cam install: How much HP is there in tuning?? (CAracer)

The PCM on the C5 controls ALL of the tuning issues you ask about. The MAF is only one of those and perhaps the air intake is important but certainly it does not end there. Most programmers will adjust air/fuel trim and cooling fan control, transmission shift points for the A4, and several other functions of the transmission for the A4 including solenoid pressure for firmness of shift. Many M6 owners will have the 1-4 cag removed to ease the awkwardness of the shift pattern. There are too many to mention in this post but there are combinations of air/fuel/gear ratios/cam profile and idlespeed to name a few.

So as you can see there are so many compomnents that will contribute to the overall performance of the car. Hope this helps:D

A good rule of thumb to follow is to get the intake air IN as cold and as unobstructed as possible and to get the exhaust to follow as fast and unobstucted as possible. These are basic issues for the programmer.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:53 PM
C5 Tweaker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Attention all owners of heads/cam install: How much HP is there in tuning?? (CAracer)

I did an MTI Stage II heads and cam. I did pulls at each step of the way. The MTI programming netted less than 5 HP. Even MTI admitted that they do not program for HP, only for driveability.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:51 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Re: Attention all owners of heads/cam install: How much HP is there in tuning?? (C5 Tweaker)

iT ALL DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU ARE STARTING FROM. I HAVE SEEN AS MUCH AS 40 + HP WITH TUNING ON CARS THAT WERE WAY OFF IN BASE SETUP. I WOULDN'T EVEN THINK TWICE ABOUT HAVING TUNING DONE ON A MODIFIED MOTOR. EVEN ANOTHER 5 CLEAN HP'S OR AN ADDITIONAL 8 FTLBS OF TORQUE IS NOTICABLE! THERE WOULD NO WAY TO EXTRACT EVERY OUNCE OF POWER WITHOUT DYNO TUNING.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:26 AM
akw408
Burning Brakes

I was curious how much HP can one find with the proper tuning of the PCM?
I'm using the MAFT and was wondering if I'm getting the full potential of the mods. Besides raising the rev limiter and idle, where is the hidden power?

I know most of you have had your car done in shops and the tuning was part of the install. How about you self installers.

Any opinions or comments would be helpful.
Have you dynoed your car yet? Depending on how much power you're making, we might be able to help figure out if you might make more power with tuning or not.

99 C5 M6
Old 04-16-2002, 09:35 AM
shftn6
Pro

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To Attention all owners of heads/cam install: How much HP is there in tuning??

Quick Reply: Attention all owners of heads/cam install: How much HP is there in tuning??