C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:20 PM
65convt
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power window problem

Just went out and washed the wifes 98 convt.
Was going to take it out for a spin before it starts to rain here and found the passenger side window won't go down. Neither the drivers switch or the passenger switch are getting it down. I just hear a clicking when I try. It never acted up before. Could it be a connection or does it sound like the motor took a crap? Vette only has 15000 miles.
Thanks in advance,
Rick
Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 PM
C5at57
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Common problem. Easy way to get it going again, is to turn the key on, hold the window down button and slam the door closed hard several times. 80% of the time that will get it going again. For the stubborn ones, take the door panel off, remove the speaker and tap on the motor with a mallet. There isn't any perminant fix until GM builds a better widow motor. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:09 PM
rich goepfrich
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 04 and just had to replace the Regulator after all of the so called tricks didn't work. Got mine at mid america for 169.00. P.S. don't get it from ECKLER'S In a bind try E-bay.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:03 PM
65convt
Melting Slicks

I'm not sure about slammin doors shut.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Cratecruncher
Instructor

This is a very common problem that's been discussed to death. The short of it is that the motor is stiff and dry from age and lack of use. Best way to fix is remove the regulator to the bench. Remove 4 screws holding metal motor cover on. Spray WD-40 into armature bushing and brushes. Rotate armature back and forth. Put it back together. Enjoy for two years till it gets stuck again or breaks. Do search. There are better descriptions.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:46 AM
C5at57
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 65convt
I'm not sure about slammin doors shut.
It loosens up the armature in the motor and gets it to work again. It is just a quick fix.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:16 AM
65convt
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cratecruncher
This is a very common problem that's been discussed to death. The short of it is that the motor is stiff and dry from age and lack of use. Best way to fix is remove the regulator to the bench. Remove 4 screws holding metal motor cover on. Spray WD-40 into armature bushing and brushes. Rotate armature back and forth. Put it back together. Enjoy for two years till it gets stuck again or breaks. Do search. There are better descriptions.
Thanks or the info! I'll give it a try. Maybe I will just get a new motor.
While I have it apart I'll replace the speaker which is starting to crackle a little
Old 04-03-2011, 02:12 AM
65convt
Melting Slicks

Window is working again.
Went out to take it for a ride, wife got in and slammed the door. Jokingly said ABRA KADABRA, hit the button and the damn thing is going up and down flawlessly.
Go Figure.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 AM
PTBradford
Drifting

Hitting the door handle pull with a closed fist really hard works well too.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:09 AM
rich goepfrich
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cratecruncher

After replacing the regulator on the vette I pulled the cover off of the old stock reg motor..Yep,it was clogged with carbon from the brushes which were still good, cleaned it with WD-40 and now it works.Guess I have a spare for the next time.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:52 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PTBradford
Hitting the door handle pull with a closed fist really hard works well too.
I treat my vette like a disobediant wife in the old days. Open palm only.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:44 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

It's temporary. Just get yourself a new regulator. I just did this a couple weeks ago. My passenger window stopped going up and down, then magically worked one day. But then the problem came back. Fortunately, the window was stuck in the up position. Bought myself a $50 regulator on Amazon, then replaced it using this as a guide: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/140...rs-in-your-c5/

Doesn't take very long.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:04 AM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Thread resurrection big time. Anyways my Z had this problem when I got it about 3 months ago, a hammer to the interior door handle cover fixed it. Been good for awhile so who knows how long I have. I roll my windows down pretty much every trip.

Get notified of new replies

To Power window problem

Quick Reply: Power window problem