C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Tom Hudson
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn signal help

I have an intermittent problem with my turn signals – All of a sudden today they quit working – all four of them. I got home shut the car off - started up the car & they started working again – on/off a couple of times – worked fine – then they stopped working again? Everything else works fine – What ya think?

2001, 7,000n miles –

Thanks Tom
www.twhudsonengraver.com
Old 04-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Tom Hudson
Burning Brakes

I went back out & tried the hazards - they blinked once & the nothing - I turned them off & hit them again & they worked fine? when the flashers are working so are the turn signals -
thanks - tom
Old 04-21-2011, 02:43 PM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom, there really is only one easy fix that costs about $60 and takes 20 minutes to install. The problem you are having is related to the hazard switch having corrosion/contamination on it's electrical contacts. This is a very common issue and is more related to time rather than miles.
You can order a flasher bi-pass cable from several vendors here and it install easily under the dash below the steering wheel. It is a long time fix and your problem will be gone permanently. Try Corvettes of Houston for the cable, they usually stock them. Good luck, Ron

PS--it they don't have them PM me and I'll find you "other" vendors to order from!
Old 04-21-2011, 02:46 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

could be the hazzard switch or the turn signal switch. I had similar issues so I changed the hazzard switch-no luck. changed the turn signal switch and the problem was fixed. there are a few different fixes for both. replace the hazzard swtich or buy/make a bypass. the turn signal switch can be replaced or cleaned and rebuilt as I understand.

Had I known I could rebuild/clean the signal switch I would have tried that first but I am happy to have new parts and the cost and change out was not that bad for either.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Tom Hudson
Burning Brakes

PM sent
Old 04-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Tom Hudson
Burning Brakes

I talked to Houston Corvette - they also said I "might" need a Bi-Pass Cable but they also suggested i check the turn signal switch & hazard switch first?

They didn't have a cable in stock -

How big a job is it to access these 2 switches? I'm an old fat white guy - don't do well under car dash's anymore -

Tom
Old 04-21-2011, 04:08 PM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Tom- check my PM, they are giving you advice that doesn't make sense as the hazard and flasher both use the same "flasher module" which is--the HAZARD SWITCH/BUTTON. Bi-pass is IMHO, the only way to go!!!!

Last edited by RSchleder; 04-21-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Tom Hudson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I would be inclined to do the bypass cable that RSchleder suggests.

But if you want to know what is involved in replacing the hazard switch ( signals and hazard share the same switch) here is a thread I found on the Internet some time ago that has details and pictures:

http://www.kd5fx.com/HSwitch/HSwitch.htm
So will I have to take the consol out to do the Bi-Pass switch or is it done under the dash? Tom
Old 04-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Tom Hudson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RSchleder
Tom- check my PM, they are giving you advice that doesn't make sense as the hazard and flasher both use the same "flasher module" which is--the HAZARD SWITCH/BUTTON. Bi-pass is IMHO, the only way to go!!!!
Thanks Ron - I'm off to radio shackfor supplies - I'll try that now & get the parts on order tonight -

Thanks for all the help _ i'll keep you up-dated -
Tom
www.twhudsonengraver.com
Old 04-21-2011, 04:42 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Hudson
So will I have to take the consol out to do the Bi-Pass switch or is it done under the dash? Tom
A detailed "how to" was provided, did you go through it?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Tom Hudson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lucky131969
My bad - I was thinking that was just to "change" the switch - For some reason I was thinking that the Bi-Pass cable was done under the dash -
thanks - tom
Old 04-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Tom Hudson
Burning Brakes

Thanks Ron - So far working perfect! tom
Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 PM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Tom--excellent, glad it's working or you. If you decide to install the bi-pass cable, you need to remove the lower panel, right below the steering wheel to get at the wiring ( 4 or 5 screws). No biggie and IMHO, much, much easier than replacing the hazard switch.

PS- the console does not need to come out, only the 1 panel mentioned above.

Last edited by RSchleder; 04-21-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Tom Hudson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Guess I don't have to remove the console - My bad wasn't Bad
Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Tom Hudson
Burning Brakes

Tom--excellent, glad it's working or you. If you decide to install the bi-pass cable, you need to remove the lower panel, right below the steering wheel to get at the wiring ( 4 or 5 screws). No biggie and IMHO, much, much easier than replacing the hazard switch.

PS- the console does not need to come out, only the 1 panel mentioned above.
We went to dinner tonight - everything was working fine - after dinner - no workie I hit the flasher a couple of times & it worked the rest of the way home - I'll get the Bi-Pass ordered tonight - Thanks - tom
Old 04-22-2011, 07:54 AM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Tom- good luck, give me a pm if you have any questions when it arrives. The instructions you'll receive with the bi-pass cable are very good and even us old, fat guys can install it with the drivers seat all the way back!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:48 AM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Hudson
I have an intermittent problem with my turn signals – All of a sudden today they quit working – all four of them. I got home shut the car off - started up the car & they started working again – on/off a couple of times – worked fine – then they stopped working again? Everything else works fine – What ya think?

2001, 7,000n miles –

Thanks Tom
www.twhudsonengraver.com
action,
Hey Tom. Don't worry about installing the bypass cable. You should buy the hazard switch from Rock Auto ,about $25-30. As far as installation is concerned, I installed one last year and not to dispute the 20 min repair time someone mentioned, the gentleman is probably a certified mechanic. It took me about four hours, including the removal of the center air vent grill. This is the easiest way to r&r the hazard switch. Most of the front center dash has to come out, and the radio has to be removed and pushed aside. If you don't have the right tools and/ or large hands, the air vent has to be removed. I found instructions on this forum on the repair. lm not saying this to bust your bubble, just to let you know what you're in for. The one consolation to this is the money you'll save.(Dealer cost - part $60, labor $350-400)

Get notified of new replies

To Turn signal help

Old 04-22-2011, 10:56 AM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Darryl, I am really confused with your post directly above. The 20 minutes I stated was to takeout 4-5 screws, remove the bottom panel below the dash, install the bi-pass cable and button it back up----not install the hazard switch. Your experience is exactly why I chose not to replace the hazard switch, along with my concern about the hazard switch failing again in a few years. You have made my point perfectly on why the Bi-pass cable makes SENSE!!! Thank you

Last edited by RSchleder; 04-22-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:42 PM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Darryl, I am really confused with your post directly above. The 20 minutes I stated was to takeout 4-5 screws, remove the bottom panel below the dash, install the bi-pass cable and button it back up----not install the hazard switch. Your experience is exactly why I chose not to replace the hazard switch, along with my concern about the hazard switch failing again in a few years. You have made my point perfectly on why the Bi-pass cable makes SENSE!!! Thank you
I'm sorry that I wasn't clearer. I also installed the bypass and ended up not solving the problem. That's why I don't recommend the bypass because it may solve the problem ,then again it may not. You're right. It does take about 20 min to install the bypass. I have the bypass installed AND the hazard switch. Sorry I wasn't more specific, my friend.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:08 PM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Darryl- unless I misunderstand how the bi-pass works, it actually does as the name implies--bi-passes the hazard switch. So, even if you have a new hazard switch, it's actually the bi-pass cable install that's controlling your turn signals, not the hazard switch. Regards, Ron

Quick Reply: Turn signal help