C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire Insulation Degradation

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Wire Insulation Degradation

While changing my battery today look what I found. It's a ground wire coming from a wiring harness. The insulation is missing and very brittle. I believe heat from the heater hoses may have contributed to this but I'm not sure. The farther away from the heater hose the better the insulation. I replaced the wire but I wonder if there are other more critical wires in hot spots with the same issue.

Anyone else see this on this wire?

Old 04-25-2011, 04:53 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Looks more like rodent damage to me. Radiation from a heater hose, will not cause that problem.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Looks more like rodent damage to me. Radiation from a heater hose, will not cause that problem.
Not likely. The insulation just crumbles in my fingers. Definitely some sort of degradation of the plastic.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:21 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Atok
Not likely. The insulation just crumbles in my fingers. Definitely some sort of degradation of the plastic.
Yes, precipitated by corrosion. Once the wire is exposed, it corrodes...expands, etc.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:27 PM
lvictores
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atok
While changing my battery today look what I found. It's a ground wire coming from a wiring harness. The insulation is missing and very brittle. I believe heat from the heater hoses may have contributed to this but I'm not sure. The farther away from the heater hose the better the insulation. I replaced the wire but I wonder if there are other more critical wires in hot spots with the same issue.

Anyone else see this on this wire?

I agree that it looks like the critters got a hold of it as that's how my wires looked right under the battery. Look for nests of leaves under the battery or inside the front fender. They apparently like to set up home there.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lucky131969
I stand corrected, it is rodent damage! I looked closer at other wiring in the same area and there are signs of nibbles but nothing as bad as this wire.

No sign of a nest under the battery. Nothing visible from the top. Going to pop the inner fender cover off and take a peek inside.

Man am I ever annoyed now!

Get notified of new replies

To Wire Insulation Degradation

Quick Reply: Wire Insulation Degradation