C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Sender? Fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:57 PM
cartmanchevy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Sender? Fuel pump?

Hi everyone. I just bought my first Vette a couple of weeks ago. I love it how it looks, drives, and gets thumbs up! I ran across my first issue with it today though. The fuel gauge said that I had approximately 1/8th of a tank with 79 miles remaining until empty. Then it sputtered and died while on the road. I filled it up with a gas can, and it started up fine after the fuel reached the engine. I drove it to the gas station immediately after and filled it all the way up. It has been running fine ever since. I was really paranoid that the fuel pump died or it fried because I ran it out of gas. From what I have researched, the fuel gauge often reads empty for C5 drivers when the tank is full, but my gauge said I still had fuel. Is it the same problem? I don't want to run the car out of gas again. I don't normally run a car down to 1/8th of a tank, but when I have, I've never had an issue. Is it possible that the sender is bad? On a side note, the car is pleasantly light to push!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:02 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

What year is your vette? Common issue, especially with early C5's. Fuel level senders can form a film on them from the fuels sulfer that skews level readings. I believe Techron is the fuel system cleaner that is recommended for this issue. Try using a bottle for the next two fill ups and see if it helps.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:24 PM
joe Villarreal
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

normal wear and tear on a C5 the fuel sending unit always fails
techron or a lucas fuel treatment will do at every fill up will take car of the problem. Happy speeding
Old 05-14-2011, 10:15 PM
cartmanchevy
Heel & Toe

It a 2001 Z06. I will go to the auto parts store tomorrow and pick some up. Thanks for your help! I hope this will make it go away.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:56 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by cartmanchevy
It a 2001 Z06. I will go to the auto parts store tomorrow and pick some up. Thanks for your help! I hope this will make it go away.
When you ran out of gas, if it took less than 18-19 gals of gas to "fill up", you were not truly "out of gas" in the first place. Using Techron or other cleaners/fuel additives won't hurt as far as your sending units (there are two), however you need to do a search on this subject. You may need to replace the fuel module (sender/siphon jet pump) in the right tank to truly solve your issue.

HTH

Btw, the good news is that your fuel tank does not need to be dropped to change the sender assembly.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:35 PM
cartmanchevy
Heel & Toe

A new fuel sender sounds expensive, but so does a tow home! I'm guessing that GM never addressed this issue and made a retrofit part to solve this problem?
Old 05-15-2011, 10:18 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by cartmanchevy
A new fuel sender sounds expensive, but so does a tow home! I'm guessing that GM never addressed this issue and made a retrofit part to solve this problem?
It's a replacement part not a "retrofit part to solve this problem". Not every C5 has this problem. In this particular case the replacement part does have an "improved" fuel level circuit "card" however, plus it has the later (standard) design without a mesh "sock" filter.

Very possible most of the fuel from the right tank is not transferring over to the left tank and you're running out of fuel in the left tank and there is still 6-9 gals still in the right tank. Clogged (completely or partially) orifice in the siphon-jet pump. That's why when you "fill up" after one of these events, and you can't put any more than 11-13 gals. in, that's a big clue.

Search the subject. Much info.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 AM
cartmanchevy
Heel & Toe

Thanks! The car took about 15.5 gallons at fuel up. I will have to check on the matter. I appreciate your help.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Sender? Fuel pump?

Quick Reply: Fuel Sender? Fuel pump?