C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Driveline Vibration Issue - Time for Torque Tube Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:40 PM
edusmc1
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 2001 with 95000 and my car does the same thing but at 55 to 70 below 55 no vibration and it comes and goes like harmontic vibartion every 1 to 2 seconds. Not sure If I replace couplers if this will fix it.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 AM
indy242003
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edusmc1
I have 2001 with 95000 and my car does the same thing but at 55 to 70 below 55 no vibration and it comes and goes like harmontic vibartion every 1 to 2 seconds. Not sure If I replace couplers if this will fix it.
I have this exact same issue! It's driving me nuts! I do have a slight wobble in the harmonic balancer and now on a cold start up I can hear a squealing noise that goes away. Under hard acceleration the vibration is very noticable. I can feel and hear it through the shifter and the steering wheel shakes some. Mine is the exact vibration you have. It vibrates for about a second, then smoths for a second, and repeats. What the heck is this, Balancer, torque tube bushings, bent prop shaft? The clutch seems to be fine. I can't thow thousands of dollars at this guessing. Please help!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

did you transfer the flywheel balance weights from the stock flywheel to the new flywheel? since you have a stroker kit, the new rotating assembly is most likely balanced already, and should not require the weights as the stock rotating assembly did. if you installed the weights, remove them, and problem solved. the problem is definitely on the engine side if the problem occurs with the clutch disengaged. if you did not transfer the weights, then i would suspect that the engine is not balanced properly.

.....just found out this post was resurrected :P
Old 03-11-2012, 01:18 PM
aobrien14
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have either edusmc1 or indy242003 determined the source of the harmonic vibration? I have EXACTLY the same thing in my '98 Coupe and need to fix it, but don't want to be guessing and throwing money away...

Mine cannot be related to front hubs because if I jack the rear up, turn off traction control and spin the tires up to 55-60, the vibration is VERY noticeable...

Andy

Last edited by aobrien14; 03-11-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:15 PM
whyaskwhy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having the same issue 2000 FRC problem is getting worse....
Old 11-17-2013, 05:56 PM
echelonphoto
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Keep going!

I am going to resurrect this thread...I have a 2000 vert which has 108K miles on it...we also had a trans leak....decided to do a new ls7 clutch setup and fix the leak....I inspected the TTube and found lots of
crack...s in the donuts...so I replaced them with new ones from BMW....they are made in Germany by ZF...so quality should be same or better than original. Bearings were tight with no wobble. I put everything together exactly as it came apart...even marked the bolts and locations. The drive was a little tight fit getting back into the torque tube...took some good wacks with a wood block and heavy hammer to get the shaft back in. We put every thing together including new pilot bearing. Got the car on the road...I drove it back to my house about a 30 minute highway drive...felt amazing! Next morning..still good and smooth! I then got it briefly in 1st and 2nd a few times....no power shifts...just good throttle. I started to have weird vibration and shifter rattle ....now its there the whole time...starts about 1800 rpm...peaks around 2200 and then stays there. When you are driving on the highway...you can't help notice it..it is an undercurrent, annoying feeling.

When you go into neutral....it gets better...but if you are parked and rev the engine...there is no real difference weather the clutch is up or
down. Car shifts fine and clutch works smoothly....hope I don't have to
take this apart again!
Old 12-01-2013, 02:16 PM
echelonphoto
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well...still trying to diagnose this..I have the same symptoms as the OP...exept I already replaced the bushings...did not have vibration before the clutch upgrade. My vibrations are least when the car is cold and they increase somewhat as the car warms up. My clutch also feels a little vague, not snappy...we have completely pressure bled the system twice..fluid is clear as a bell.

Quick Reply: Help with Driveline Vibration Issue - Time for Torque Tube Rebuild?