C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypertech - Beware

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:21 PM
wclark@nj.com
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech - Beware

I went to remove the Hypertech program today and found it had been overwritten at some time.
I called Hypertech and was told there is a warning in the manual that states you must remove their program before you take your car in for service as the dealer might re-flash the memory. If this happens you lose the Hypertech program and it can’t be reactivated.
Hypertech wouldn’t do anything to help me so my Hypertech Programmer III is now worthless!
Beware of the requirement of removing the program before service or you too might lose it all!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Rob04C5LM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is true of just about every programmer for just about any car. I make a point of telling anyone servicing my car that I have a tune on there and please DO NOT reflash the PCM with any updates, etc.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:57 PM
rodsvet
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Too bad you're not local in Socal. I've got a Hypertech for a 2000 you could try. The year may not let it work with a 1999 though. I went FI and dyno but removed the program first. The number on the back is 395753. You could check with Hypertech and see what they say. Good Luck, Rod
Old 06-22-2011, 06:27 AM
SMaster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wclark@nj.com
I went to remove the Hypertech program today and found it had been overwritten at some time.
I called Hypertech and was told there is a warning in the manual that states you must remove their program before you take your car in for service as the dealer might re-flash the memory. If this happens you lose the Hypertech program and it can’t be reactivated.
Hypertech wouldn’t do anything to help me so my Hypertech Programmer III is now worthless!
Beware of the requirement of removing the program before service or you too might lose it all!
It's been a while but I actually got a fairly decent price out of one a guy gave me that had been used. Maybe someone who can make it operational again would want it?

EDIT: This was for a '94-'95, in about 2001 so it may be net possibly nowadays.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by wclark@nj.com
my Hypertech Programmer III is now worthless!
I'm sure you're frustrated about this, but it's really not a terrible loss.

Used unlocked Hypertech programmers can often be found in the $100 price range.

Get notified of new replies

To Hypertech - Beware

Quick Reply: Hypertech - Beware