C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 slipping in O/D after fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:45 PM
ghost.223
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 slipping in O/D after fluid change

Just changed my fluid and filter to avoid these problems.

2002 with 49k. Shifted fine before the swap and now it shifts fine thru all the gears except when shifts into O/D. O/D will slip out of gear 3 times very quickly and then engage and no problems untill the next stop light. After the first few lights however the trans will start to run fine and stay in O/D without a problem.

I double checked the fluid level using proper procedure twice and it is at perfect level. Just to be sure i added 6 oz. more fluid to see if it was being cause by low fluid level but no help.

Is there a shifter solenoid that only controls the O/D?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

There is a very specific fluid temperature range (specified in the Service Manual) that you can test the AT fluid level in. IIRC it is 86*F - 122*F. My car was slipping under the same circumstances as yours. My level was full @180*. After I let it cool to the proper temp, I found I was 22 0z. low. I filled it and the slipping went away. Good Luck.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:15 PM
ghost.223
Racer

Originally Posted by Bluefire
There is a very specific fluid temperature range (specified in the Service Manual) that you can test the AT fluid level in. IIRC it is 86*F - 122*F. My car was slipping under the same circumstances as yours. My level was full @180*. After I let it cool to the proper temp, I found I was 22 0z. low. I filled it and the slipping went away. Good Luck.
Thanks, sadly it was at 118 on the last fill. So this fluid can really expand then
Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 282 Likes on 259 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Is it slipping when it shifts from 3rd to 4th ??? Saying it slips in overdrive isn't enough info as it really has 2 overdrives per-say--4th gear is overdriven via your trans 4th gear raitio normally like .75
BUT when the converter LOCKS UP---It actually is overdriven again as the converter stops slipping---On a stock converter (1200-1400 stall) it should lower the RPM's again about 200-300
With only 49K miles and IF the trans isn't getting hot like constantly over 200* most likely it's just some wear---
This can be "tuned out"--Someone with HP or EFILIVE can quicken the shifts to prevent slippage--Even the converter lockup can be tuned to lock-up harder---and stay locked--
PS: A bad brake light switch can cause the converter to unlock intermitantly
ALSO when a trans is near failure-- The 3-4 clutch pack is always the
1st to go---- Cross your fingers !!!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:47 PM
ghost.223
Racer

Originally Posted by tblu92
Is it slipping when it shifts from 3rd to 4th ??? Saying it slips in overdrive isn't enough info as it really has 2 overdrives per-say--4th gear is overdriven via your trans 4th gear raitio normally like .75
BUT when the converter LOCKS UP---It actually is overdriven again as the converter stops slipping---On a stock converter (1200-1400 stall) it should lower the RPM's again about 200-300
With only 49K miles and IF the trans isn't getting hot like constantly over 200* most likely it's just some wear---
This can be "tuned out"--Someone with HP or EFILIVE can quicken the shifts to prevent slippage--Even the converter lockup can be tuned to lock-up harder---and stay locked--
PS: A bad brake light switch can cause the converter to unlock intermitantly
ALSO when a trans is near failure-- The 3-4 clutch pack is always the
1st to go---- Cross your fingers !!!

3-4 is okay

Trans does get regularly over 200 which is why i changed the fluid now instead of waiting till 100k. All was running fine till right after the swap though.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:18 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 282 Likes on 259 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Do you have a stall converter ???
OK so if it's not slipping during the 3-4 shidt then it could be the converter is NOT holding when engaged---
Normal on some stalls for the converter to chatter or slip whn trying to engage---Most coomon fixes are to set the TCC PWM minimum to 95 and the PWM maximum to 99
With a 3.15 axle--the stock TCC apply speed is way to low--like 38 MPH-
I always set it up higher at least to 50 MPH where the engine isn't lugging so much and has more trans pressure
I always delete the 3rd gear TCC apply/release
Also---If the 3-4 shift point MPH at a certain Throttle position is LOWER than the 4th gear TCC apply MPH--they will try to shift simotaniously--This causes weird jerky shifts--and can be areaon it started slipping--
200* trans temp is not too bad if it's a hot day and you have been driving around town alot--But if it's hitting 200* on the freeway--something else is gping on-at cruise with TCC locked is where it should run the coolest as the converter is not supposed to be slipping at all--
You may have some air bubbles in your cooler lines that will purge eventualy--
Did you replace the filter when you changed the fluid ??
The filter is easily bumped off when installing the pan--or even with the suction hose when stuck into the fill hole to suck out the old OR re-fill with new fluid--this can also catch some air bubbles --especially as when the TCC is locked is where the most fluid is used and may uncover the filter port
Old 06-30-2011, 07:35 PM
C5sleeper
Racer

Ask me from experiance, if its slipping in 3-4 your clutchpack is probabaly toast, even on a stage 6 built trans it still went with being alittle low on fluid... Top off fluid and hope you got lucky
Old 06-30-2011, 11:37 PM
ghost.223
Racer

Originally Posted by tblu92
Do you have a stall converter ???
OK so if it's not slipping during the 3-4 shidt then it could be the converter is NOT holding when engaged---
Normal on some stalls for the converter to chatter or slip whn trying to engage---Most coomon fixes are to set the TCC PWM minimum to 95 and the PWM maximum to 99
With a 3.15 axle--the stock TCC apply speed is way to low--like 38 MPH-
I always set it up higher at least to 50 MPH where the engine isn't lugging so much and has more trans pressure
I always delete the 3rd gear TCC apply/release
Also---If the 3-4 shift point MPH at a certain Throttle position is LOWER than the 4th gear TCC apply MPH--they will try to shift simotaniously--This causes weird jerky shifts--and can be areaon it started slipping--
200* trans temp is not too bad if it's a hot day and you have been driving around town alot--But if it's hitting 200* on the freeway--something else is gping on-at cruise with TCC locked is where it should run the coolest as the converter is not supposed to be slipping at all--
You may have some air bubbles in your cooler lines that will purge eventualy--
Did you replace the filter when you changed the fluid ??
The filter is easily bumped off when installing the pan--or even with the suction hose when stuck into the fill hole to suck out the old OR re-fill with new fluid--this can also catch some air bubbles --especially as when the TCC is locked is where the most fluid is used and may uncover the filter port
3:15 with a stock converter.
Yep changed the filter too and i guess my next move is to re drain and redo the filter install in case it is not fully sealed
This is my DD and i did this change last thurs so sadly i dont think its air bubbles caught in the system unless of coarse it keeps sucking air because the filter is not sealed right.

Would a loose filter sound right considering this happens on the first few shifts after start up but then i can drive no problem after that?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:18 PM
ghost.223
Racer

An update:

I have had to drive alot the last two days so a drain and filter check was not possible SO...... I decided to put back to proper level (took out the extra 6 oz i had in). Went on test drive and it was really acting up even in reverse.

Needing it running I Let cool and added 12oz of fluid. Been driving great all yesterday and today. Did not feel any slipping for sure (possibly had one unlock of the TC but not 100% because it usually does it 3 times in a row and i watch the tack to see it happen on the follwing two but it did not).

So either my trans needs an extra 12oz which is really not much at all and not nearly enough overfill to damage anything OR something is wrong with the way i fill it. I.E. my car is not fully even/ rake is so the rear end is lowered but not the front??? or my garage is tilted

Anyway i will post again if the problem continues or if i find out for sure what the cause was.

On a side note i drove this morning at 10AM and it was already 114 degrees where i live. My outside temp reading on the highway was 127 Changing to synthetic like i did i was expecting a small change in trans temps like people say should happen but alas NOTHING helps with this heat and as usual sense this heat has started my temps quickly got to 217 trans, 238 oil, and 207 coolant.

All AZ cars should come with two coolers for every system
Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 AM
ghost.223
Racer

FOUND PROBLEM. Going to post warning in new thread also.

Brand new filter had a leak in the middle of the housing causing air to be sucked in and, get this..... to be 2 QUARTS LOW

Anyway put new non leaking filter, topped off fluid and its running better than ever. I can only hope i did little if any real damage to the trans.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost.223
FOUND PROBLEM. Going to post warning in new thread also.

Brand new filter had a leak in the middle of the housing causing air to be sucked in and, get this..... to be 2 QUARTS LOW

Anyway put new non leaking filter, topped off fluid and its running better than ever. I can only hope i did little if any real damage to the trans.
Glad you fixed it.

Get notified of new replies

To A4 slipping in O/D after fluid change

Quick Reply: A4 slipping in O/D after fluid change