C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Pipe Transition vs New X-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:52 AM
typerpower97
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Pipe Transition vs New X-Pipe

I was at a muffler shop getting some new cats welded on and ran into some questions regarding X-Pipes.

I mentioned I wanted to get the entire X-pipe to replace the H-Pipe and the mechanic told me the cheaper option was to just get an X-Pipe transition to replace the small section of the H-Pipe.

I understand the theory behind the X vs H pipes but I have never had an X-Pipe or X-Pipe transition so I cant confirm the application of such equipment. Plus there is a several hundred dollar difference.

Would just the transition piece perform as well as replacing the entire H-Pipe?

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:11 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Can they do it cheaper than this? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...brand-new.html
Old 08-18-2011, 12:15 PM
typerpower97
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
By far, a new transition pipe is would cost me 70 bucks and probably 50 for the weld job. But if it doesnt perform like a entire X-Pipe would then I would just get the entire X-Pipe.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:24 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

YES I use just the Magniflow universal X-pipes --or any brand is fine--If you have the $$ go with the stainless but the aluminized steel ones are as mentined around $75----
--Installation of a universal X-pipe is easier too---It's about a foot long anf fits right in place of the old H-pipe
If you get the pricey ones that have extended pipes on both sides--The muffler shop has to re-work your entire post cat tubing--
As far as HP difference between the 2 ?? never heard of anyone doing any compasrisons but in my opinion--No difference---
Old 08-18-2011, 12:28 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Well... I figured it'd be a little more, but you said:

Originally Posted by typerpower97
I understand the theory behind the X vs H pipes but I have never had an X-Pipe or X-Pipe transition so I cant confirm the application of such equipment. Plus there is a several hundred dollar difference.
If it were me and I had a lot of confidence the exhaust shop knew what they were doing I'd probably just go with the transition... I think X-Pipes are only good for a 1-3 hp gain anyway.

Personally I love the popping sound on deceleration that I have because I left my H-Pipe on when I put my stingers in...

GL
Old 08-22-2019, 08:42 PM
Jason900rr
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Which X-Pipe did you go with? Because I went with the AWE and although it does sound nice I don’t get any pops or backfired on decel ����*♂️
Old 08-23-2019, 09:55 AM
scorpiofox69
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
YES I use just the Magniflow universal X-pipes --or any brand is fine--If you have the $$ go with the stainless but the aluminized steel ones are as mentined around $75----
--Installation of a universal X-pipe is easier too---It's about a foot long anf fits right in place of the old H-pipe
If you get the pricey ones that have extended pipes on both sides--The muffler shop has to re-work your entire post cat tubing--
As far as HP difference between the 2 ?? never heard of anyone doing any compasrisons but in my opinion--No difference---
Exactly what I did. Find a reputable shop that does customs/hot rods. This is a very easy swap out.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:07 AM
INSTIG8R
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

8 year old thread guys...

Get notified of new replies

To X-Pipe Transition vs New X-Pipe

Quick Reply: X-Pipe Transition vs New X-Pipe