C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

home made glass-pack exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:49 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i've used the borla straights myself and i really liked them with the stock cats. it ran good and it was pretty loud. but i've kind of quieted down some and went back to ti's and no cats. i wish it was a little louder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=f4uECwTz9WM

here is a vide of the borla straights
Old 09-01-2011, 09:40 PM
WhiteFRC99
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cwis9992
so.... what your saying is if i dont have any muffler at all then its gonna sound bad according to many?

http://marylandspeed.com/slp-loudmou...049-p-265.html

just saying man these things sound pretty good to me but i'm 18 so yea.. and yes it is silly but it's a car you dont like the results... ...you get you wrench out and fix it.

if you dint mind me asking what kind of exhaust do you have?
I took out my mufflers for a while. Loved the sound, then I put on some turn downs, to deflect the exhaust off the car. And the cabin noise was really bad. I think if the sound goes out the tips it isn't bad.
But I am 27 and still like things LOUD!
Although my neighbors might not...
Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For starters the rear o2 sensors do nothing but tell you if your cats are operating correctly and if you remove them you will only get a code after two ignition cycles, they have nothing to do with how the car runs and your car will still pass inspection without them at lease in VA. I ran slp loudmouths for about a year with everything else stock then for about two mouths with headers, off road x-pipe and loudmouths which IMO sounded much better than just removing the mufflers. I dont think it will sound bad if you remove the mufflers and secondary cats as you will still have the pup cats.
It will be loud at idle but not too bad once it warms up and at cruise it shouldn't be too bad.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:13 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

How much are you figuring on spending to do this whole endevour? The glass packs, O2 eliminators and the piping work to install the glass packs and remove the rear mufflers?

If this is getting into something > $400 range then I would think about buying a system. You have 2 options that are fairly cheap.

The first is to find a C5 OBX catback system. Ebay purchase should cost around $400 + $80 shipping. Supposed to sound like Borla Stingers.

The second is to contact Jon (superman09) and see if he is still selling the XSPower catback system. This sytem would likely cost somewhere around $700. It is fairly quiet when cruising but LOUD when on the throttle. Just bring the revs up if you want to make noise or actually hear the stereo or converse with your passenger when just cruising.

Peter
Old 09-02-2011, 12:40 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by TriplBlk; 09-09-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:38 AM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
I'm young myself (21) and normally respect other young members, but dude,ur 18, why the hell did you buy a vette?? I'm not gonna ask how you got one. But why? To say you have a vette? Please go grab some beater vehicle or somevother crappy vehicle, IMO you don't deserve a VETTE,it's "kids" and rednecks (I'm guessing like you) that will give vettes bad name, and young owners like myself one too. Budget and vette don't go together, learn that right now. Guys tlk about budget on motor's(a couple thousand), your talking about a budget for an exhaust?!?!? Are you kidding me!?! Lol do you scrap metal for a living or flip burgers?? I'm having a bad day but damn is it hard to see this and kids start to get into vette's, this is why I don't believe in ppl asking to pick a vette up for 10k cash,to me they're getting one to say they have a vette, you ....ugh title says it all. Btw before you ask I could have easily gotten a C6 around 25k but chose to get a C5 to modd the hell out of it. Not do white trash mods. Im suprised no ones said anything, But many have probably just ignored it, im surprised lucky or Evil twin didnt jump on ya.I'm not the forum a$$whole and every thread has a person who flames the other, I never do it so this will be my first..

I'll post my sig so you can google the prices of everything(mines not even expensive!)

Maybe youll make your own "Homemade ITB", and you'll prolly incorporate beer cans as the stacks

EDIT: to makes this post helpful, do it right and grab BORLA straight pipes for $375 new.
Well for the most part I agree, its going to be a lot more work and money to actually do all of this. Glass packs will run you about 30 a piece for standard ones but you are going to need one that necks down from 3" to 2.5" as before the cars it is 3" exhaust and after it is 2.5, or you could get one made but then you are adding in extra expense. Your best bet for this whole endeavor would be to buy an aftermarket system that has been used for a very reasonable cost and then you will fix the issue of having those wimpy looking exhaust tips. Or you could take your car to an exhaust shop and have them add a bypass pipe to your muffler, most do it on the Ti exhaust but there have been several do it with the stock exhaust. That shouldn't cost you anymore than 80$. But if you really want your car to be loud and sound good save up the money and put headers on your car, you can pick up a set used for ~800 if you look hard enough. So if you save up about 1300 you can put 100% straight pipes on your car and then you will be heard. Yea that may appear to be a lot of money but it would be well worth the wait.
Oh and for the record I picked up my 02 when I was 18, I actually wasnt planning on getting a vette but a f body camaro convertable instead until I saw they prices they wanted for them. Then I started looking at gtos, all this while my dad was looking at vettes (he was looking for himself) and suggested I get one because it was cheaper than a gto. I really only cared if the car I was getting was a 6 speed not what it was. So I wasnt one of those who got it just because I wanted to say I had a vette, I actually dont like telling people that I have one.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:00 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

not sure if this would work for a vette, but i installed a zzp downpipe with high flow cat on my cobalt ss. I bored out a spark plug non fouler just to the very tip and left the little hole instead of boring it all the way through. the o2 sensor fit right inside the non fouler. the only exhaust gas the sensor saw was at the very tip of the sensor with about a 3/16" dia hole covering the tip. No CEL after that.

The o2 sensor on the vette is bigger, so i think your only option would be to bore the non fouler all the way through. although, if there is space for 2 of them in series under the car, you could bore through the one that the sensor goes in, install a another non modified one in the bung, and connect them up.

Its worth a shot for 5 bucks for 2 of the non foulers. If that doesn't work, you can always install simulators, or get them tuned out.

also, you guys dont have any idea what kind of welding skills the kid may have. He may be capable of making some pretty high quality stuff. He may have access to a pipe bender. It is always cool to have something completely custom that noone else has, so ill give him the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by SaberD; 09-02-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:19 AM
cwis9992
Instructor

sorry i didnt mention any of this before i have access to mig tig and ac/dc welders, a pipe bender and have 3 certified welders in the family and one cousin who does nothing but work on corvettes. and like m6 c5, i wasn't looking for a corvette when i bought it, i actually wanted an old porsche boxster, but i decided that as an American there wasnt much of a choice. and the reason i'm on a budget is because i paid cash and a trade for the car. and this exhaust is strictly for kicks and giggles and temporary. if this stay's on the car (if i even do it) for more than 6 months i will be extremely shocked.

o and as mentioned by the guy earlier i wouldnt want to use glass-packs so close to the engine so i did some googling and i think the resonator would probably be a better alternative

and sorry for stepping on your toes triplblk, but no i dont give 'vette owners a bad name, i haven't done a thing yet to the car i'm just brainstorming at this stage.

Last edited by cwis9992; 09-02-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:30 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

M6 C5 I've seen you post and now I remember you being young too, I not mind telling ppl I have one as I'm proud of it and what I have done to it, your smart with yours. I just would hate to be judge.Nothing against you man

Cwis992 sorry for flipping but man just save your time and some money and grab a set of Borla straight pipes for $375 brand. Until then, just cut your mufflers off itf you want more tone ASAP.

I just hate to see a beautiful C5 get ruined, he'll I get pissed when I see ppl smoke in a Cadillac CTS(my DD)

Happy modding though
Old 09-02-2011, 11:47 AM
cwis9992
Instructor

M6 C5 I've seen you post and now I remember you being young too, I not mind telling ppl I have one as I'm proud of it and what I have done to it, your smart with yours. I just would hate to be judge.Nothing against you man

Cwis992 sorry for flipping but man just save your time and some money and grab a set of Borla straight pipes for $375 brand. Until then, just cut your mufflers off itf you want more tone ASAP.

I just hate to see a beautiful C5 get ruined, he'll I get pissed when I see ppl smoke in a Cadillac CTS(my DD)

Happy modding though

it's all good i can understand people give me the "look what daddy bought" crap all the time, which he did not. but anyway i kill when people even think about touching my black car with their dang greasy fingers, and wash it religiously every day (2-3 days maybe once or twice). i'm thinking i'll take everyone's advice and buy some used cat backs, i'll save the custom exhaust for when i get myself a daily driver and can put what i really want on this as my play toy

Yes there will be a hole in the hood
http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/ls1.php
Old 09-02-2011, 11:59 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

it's all good i can understand people give me the "look what daddy bought" crap all the time, which he did not. but anyway i kill when people even think about touching my black car with their dang greasy fingers, and wash it religiously every day (2-3 days maybe once or twice). i'm thinking i'll take everyone's advice and buy some used cat backs, i'll save the custom exhaust for when i get myself a daily driver and can put what i really want on this as my play toy

Yes there will be a hole in the hood
http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/ls1.php
I will say if you have a "safe place" where you can learn the vehicle, aka sliding,fish tales ect.. It really helps especially if you do lose it,sometimes the rain, you will know how to regain control and what put in the slide to let your foot off and have the car regain control.
I have a black Vert and I know what you mean, I'm going to paint it flat black to rid the problems lol
Old 09-02-2011, 12:02 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

I still think glass packs are a great idea. Don't listen to the naysayers. Cut that puppy up!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:04 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lucky131969
I still think glass packs are a great idea. Don't listen to the naysayers. Cut that puppy up!
Lmao I think you just want him to do it to screw it up lol
Old 09-02-2011, 12:13 PM
cwis9992
Instructor

first day i drove it home was a monsoon and i have Michelin's on the back and b/f goodrich's on the front, A.) never mix tire brand on high performance cars B.) Michelins HATE water, thankfully it's all twisty rural back-roads all the way from work to home. i learned quick 'cause i'm still alive to say the least

but yea most definitely a learning curve, thankfully I've had a fair bit of experience on beamers porches and a friends vortech-charged '06 'vette, and 500k+ miles driving for the family business. if not for that i can only imagine a less experienced teen driving this hoss
Old 09-02-2011, 12:17 PM
cwis9992
Instructor

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Lmao I think you just want him to do it to screw it up lol

i dont care who you are big v-8 trucks with stacks and such sound good. and can you imagine the surprise on peoples faces when they see a hole-in-the-hood 'vette coming up sounding like a jacked up 4x4 with a good ol' CBB in it? i dont know maybe one day....
Old 09-02-2011, 12:19 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

I will be selling my Dynatech headers when I do my TT build, I'll pm ya if ya want when the time comes.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:28 PM
cwis9992
Instructor

I will be selling my Dynatech headers when I do my TT build, I'll pm ya if ya want when the time comes.
would definitely appreciate that man.

Get notified of new replies

To home made glass-pack exhaust

Old 09-02-2011, 01:41 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Happy modding though
Yea I just had the way people act once they find out I have a "new" corvette when in reality they paid less for their four banger corolla than I did. Ive actually had people come up and say that they thought I would be all cocky and stuck up when they first met me but after a few min they realize Im less cocky than the guy driving a civic with 3 grand he put in it.
Anyways you wont regret getting a good catback system, I just went to the Z06 TI's from Slp loudmouths and they are a little quiet for my taste but thats nothing heads, cam and intake wont take care of
Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 PM
cwis9992
Instructor

Originally Posted by m6 c5
Yea I just had the way people act once they find out I have a "new" corvette when in reality they paid less for their four banger corolla than I did. Ive actually had people come up and say that they thought I would be all cocky and stuck up when they first met me but after a few min they realize Im less cocky than the guy driving a civic with 3 grand he put in it.
Anyways you wont regret getting a good catback system, I just went to the Z06 TI's from Slp loudmouths and they are a little quiet for my taste but thats nothing heads, cam and intake wont take care of
i wish i could do heads and the like but i get in enough trouble with the thing stock. all the time just cruising wothout the cruise on and my hud off and not even realizing it i'm booking it going down the road at 90 or 100 getting a little better about it, but at night with no traffic and straight roads..... it happens
thus my "redneck" idea for the loudest exhaust i could build myself
Old 09-02-2011, 01:53 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

i wish i could do heads and the like but i get in enough trouble with the thing stock. all the time just cruising wothout the cruise on and my hud off and not even realizing it i'm booking it going down the road at 90 or 100 getting a little better about it, but at night with no traffic and straight roads..... it happens
thus my "redneck" idea for the loudest exhaust i could build myself
Well Im not sure when I will have the funds to do heads but Im thinking I can at least get a decent cam in when I change the clutch out. I dont remember if the entire drive train has to be dropped or not to change the clutch but if it does I figure it would be a lot easier to put in a cam at that time. That may have to wait a couple of years depending on if I want to upgrade the suspension first or not.

Quick Reply: home made glass-pack exhaust