C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking pucks procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

Default Jacking pucks procedure?

I was just looking at the ad for the jacking pucks.

So far to work on the car, I drive the front up on Rhino Ramps (kinda tricky at times) then I put my floor jack with a piece of wood under the rear suspension cradle, jack it up, if I'm only changing the oil, I just lift the rear until the oil stops flowing, then lower.

If working under the car, I put jack stands under the rear cradle.

Now here is my question.

Say I have all 4 jacking pucks on the car, do you jack up one side on the front and put the jack stand under the rear puck if you get it high enough?

How do you get the stand under the front puck now?

Maybe someone has the steps for this?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:06 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,097 Posts

I don't know if I'd want to "centralize" that much of a twisting load into the car by setting a jackstand under one puck at a time, while getting the other 3 under the car.

If I was going to set the car up by the pucks, I think I'd lift the front or rear car like you currently do, with a jack/piece of wood under the cradle, then set stands under the front or rear pucks, then repeat the procedure at the other end of the car....
Old 09-16-2011, 08:28 AM
95formula
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I don't know if I'd want to "centralize" that much of a twisting load into the car by setting a jackstand under one puck at a time, while getting the other 3 under the car.

If I was going to set the car up by the pucks, I think I'd lift the front or rear car like you currently do, with a jack/piece of wood under the cradle, then set stands under the front or rear pucks, then repeat the procedure at the other end of the car....
This is what I do.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Somehow I ended up with 2 floor jacks so it makes it easy to lift front of car. Neither jack is long enough to reach front cradle. Rear is pretty easy.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:23 AM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Race Ramps - the safe ramp solution

Race Ramps or so gradual, especially our two-stage incline and progressive incline models, that you barely realize your climbing up the ramps. No need to apply a heavy throttle to get up a steep 17˚ incline and then hit the brakes to keep from overshooting the ramp platforms.
You also don't have to chase the ramps across your garage floor.

Originally Posted by 1999corvettels1
...I drive the front up on Rhino Ramps (kinda tricky at times) ....
Old 09-16-2011, 10:33 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would NEVER put jack stands under the jacking pucks and then get under the car. It would be too unstable, IMHO. I have a scissor lift that I use that lifts on all four pucks, but it's designed to hold a 9000 lbs. SUV and has a full plate under the middle of the car.

When I need access to the underside where the plate is, I will lift the car with the scissor lift, and then place jack stands on the suspension mounts front and rear. If you check in the workshop manual (I believe its in the owners manual also), there are certain spots on the frame where GM says it's okay to lift or support the car. I stick to those locations with the jack stands.

IMHO, putting the lifting pucks on jack stands it asking for trouble. Too much of a risk of them sliding off the jack stand. YMMV, but if it's me under the car, I want it to be as stable and secure as possible. I'm not looking to win any Darwin Awards.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:18 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

RaceRamps in the front and a good jack in the rear and then use jack stands.....works for me.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:28 AM
jim993
Drifting

Received 532 Likes on 341 Posts

If you search the subject, you will find a number of posts which include diagrams from the FSM showing where the factory thinks you should jack and support the car.

The center of the front and the center of the rear crossmembers are NOT jack points.

The puck locations are optional jacking points.

I jack on the rear puck point, one side and then place jackstands under the FSM locations at the front and rear crossmembers, then go to the other side and do the same.

Depending on where you need the most clearance, front jackstands could also be at the FSM locations under the second (front) crossmember.

Pages 0-31 to 0-36 Section 1, FSM (for a 2001 FSM) "Important: Do not place jack stands under the frame rails."

Some people object to jacking one side at a time. I did not see that caution in the FSM.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:33 AM
mchicia1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
I would NEVER put jack stands under the jacking pucks and then get under the car. It would be too unstable, IMHO. I have a scissor lift that I use that lifts on all four pucks, but it's designed to hold a 9000 lbs. SUV and has a full plate under the middle of the car.

When I need access to the underside where the plate is, I will lift the car with the scissor lift, and then place jack stands on the suspension mounts front and rear. If you check in the workshop manual (I believe its in the owners manual also), there are certain spots on the frame where GM says it's okay to lift or support the car. I stick to those locations with the jack stands.

IMHO, putting the lifting pucks on jack stands it asking for trouble. Too much of a risk of them sliding off the jack stand. YMMV, but if it's me under the car, I want it to be as stable and secure as possible. I'm not looking to win any Darwin Awards.
How would a puck fall off a jack stand? The pucks I have, have an eyelet and screw into the hole by the rocker panel. That with hundreds of pounds of weight on top of the jack stand...how it would it ever slide out? I use the flat top style jack stands and it surrounds the entire puck, so nothing is uneven.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:41 PM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Y'all iz sure gettin fancy-pants with all that stuf. Jus do what we do here in South Cacalacky--put 'er up on peach crates and get workin. The scaredy-cats round here use concrete blocks but we laugh at them.

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking pucks procedure?

Quick Reply: Jacking pucks procedure?