C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on aftermarket radiator fluid reservoir covers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:45 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Default Question on aftermarket radiator fluid reservoir covers...

For anyone that has installed a painted radiator reservoir tank with one of them prepainted covers, does yours actually cover the fill cap, making you have to remove the painted cover to remove the filler cap?

The one I have sits ON TOP of the fill cap, albeit, it does have a hole for the cap, but is useless because you can't unscrew the cap. You must remove the painted cover to get the cap off. Are there any aftermarket adapters available to make this an easier process if and when you must refill the radiator reservoir?

I learned this the hard way when my car overheated one on a hot hot hot day in Arizona. Once the fluid boiled out and then cooled down, I realized I had to use pliers to squeeze that godawful clamp off the hose, to pull the cover off, just so I could remove the cap and refill the tank.

ANY IDEAS???
Old 09-16-2011, 10:11 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

8VETTE7,

So you can remove your blue radiator reservoir cover without having to remove the radiator reservoir cap? It doesn't wrap around the nipple piece of the reservoic where the hose connects?

By the way, nice looking engine compartment!!!

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 09-16-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:53 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Yes.... The cover for the radiator surge tank has a hole in it just large enough to screw the radiator cap down into that hole and onto the factory tank. You can lift the fiberglass cover off with the factory cap installed. Or you can remove the radiator cap with the cover still on the car. The fiberglass cover just sits ontop of the factory tank and does not wrap around any of the hose connections. I can also see the front end of the factory tank to visually check the fluid level in the tank without removing the cover. The cover DOES hide the clamp for the hose but I wanted that. You take the cover off to access the clamp.

This is NOT true of the washer fluid cover. You need to remove the factory cap to remove the fiberglass cover. Same with the brake fluid resevoir. You need to remove the factory cap to remove the fiberglass cover.

Thank you for clarifying.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on aftermarket radiator fluid reservoir covers...

Quick Reply: Question on aftermarket radiator fluid reservoir covers...