C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Corvettes with C6 Brakes: The 2011 Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:59 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Default C5 Corvettes with C6 Brakes: The 2011 Update

For all owners of C5 Corvettes who have converted their braking system to C6 Brakes (Standard C6 brakes or Z06 Calipers), are you pleased with your results?

I tried to gather as much information as I could on the subject, but the threads stem far back as 2005 when C6s just came out. So, since then, I would like to gather new information since the pricing has come way down. Average pricing now seems to be between $1995 and $2195 for the standard package including calipers, padlets, rotors, and stainless lines. (Some include fluid). Ebay shows C6 Z06 calipers as low as $1245 without pins, no pads, and no rotors which is perfect for building your own set.

Why did you go with C6/C6 Z06 brakes?

Are you happy you did?

Did you do it for the looks over the smaller C5 calipers or for the upgraded performance characteristics?

Do you have any regrets, and if yes, what are they? Pricing, maintenance, weight compared to C5 set up (or weight vs BBKs like Brembo, StopTech, etc, etc.)

Did you buy the standard "package" that includes calipers, brake padlets, and rotors, or did you buy calipers alone and purchase separately aftermarket one-piece pads, and aftermarket "lighter" rotors? I hear the padlets suck and the standard rotors are very heavy. Not to mention the C6 Z06 caliper is a whopping 28+ pounds.

If you have photos, please post as well.

I am somewhat torn in between getting new C5 Z06 calipers ($429.00) or C6 Z06 Calipers. I don't track much anymore, but do appreciate the larger "bling" look to overwhelming calipers. I understand maintenance may be more, but without tracking the vehicle, maintenance should be minimul following the initial set up costs. And since I appreciate the bling factor over the standard C5 sized calipers, I think the BBK look is what I would like. Just looking for real-world advice from those who have converted.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 09-18-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:59 PM
DNAST1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 130 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist (C8) - Modified
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist (C6) - Modified
2022 C8 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

FWIW I did it for looks this spring. I was able to get a take off set fairly inexpensive so I'm happy with that also. I also did notice quicker stopping.The only 2 downsides I have is (1) the stock C6Z06 pads are way too dusty compared to the stock C5 pads. (2) When I bought my iForged wheels a few years back, they were made to clear BBK and did not! I had to add 1/8 spacer upfront, and 1/4 in the back.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:37 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

This is a great idea to summarize all of the combinations and come up with a bang for the buck approach...best of luck pulling it all together.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Its_Go_Time
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

I put these brakes on mainly for the neato factor. The first time I saw them on a C6 in the showroom, I knew I had to have them on my vette. They most certainly stop better than the factory C5 brakes. The people who have driven my car gush about the stopping power more than anything else . As already mentioned, they do dust like crazy. The biggest thing I noticed was the increased ride harshness. The calipers and rotors are MUCH heavier, and the bigger wheels needed to clear these things are also heavier. The extra unsprung weight is surprisingly noticable. If your ride sucks already, it won't be getting any better with this setup. Maybe it's my imagination, but when I first started driving with them, the acceleration seemed a little softer as well. Lightweight two piece rotors might help I guess, and I think one piece pads are available in various formulations.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:12 PM
corvettefrance
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all C5 Z06 caliper are exactely the same as the stock C5.
They are just red instead of black.

C6 Z06 are just junk break. They are heavy, the pads are expensive, as you mentioned they are terrible to maintain if you track your car.

When I track the car I use 285.30 18" slick on the front.
which is even more grip than a C6Z06.

I changed the aluminium caliper piston for SS from DRM, also added 1.5 mm plate titanium heatshield, DRM cooling duct, SS brake line, and high performance pads. Not to mention High temp brake fluid.

This is still cheaper than the C6Z06, easier to maintain and much lighter.

If you want to upgrade go for Wilwood, or Stoptech.

BTW the shorter braking is not only the brake but also the suspension and the tires.
The stock C5 are plenty for street stock sizes tires.
Now if you want them for the look this is another story as it is true they look good.

Last edited by corvettefrance; 09-19-2011 at 07:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Craig Abe (07-18-2019)
Old 09-19-2011, 11:26 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 817 Likes on 537 Posts

dos anybody know if these (or any other C5 big brake kit) will fit under an OEM rear 18x9.5 thin spoke on the front? that's what i'm running & i need some extra stopping power.
The following users liked this post:
Craig Abe (07-18-2019)
Old 09-19-2011, 11:31 PM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

I bought a used set of C6 Grand Sport calipers which are the same as the C6 Z06 calipers only they are silver instead of red. Got them with less than 100 miles on them for $850 on this forum. Bought the DBA standard (slotted only) front/rear rotors with Hawk HPS pads from KNS Brakes for $575 and a set of SS brake lines. Will be installing them in the next week. Documenting the weight differences and will post a DIY once I'm done.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:56 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KCvetteowner
I bought a used set of C6 Grand Sport calipers which are the same as the C6 Z06 calipers only they are silver instead of red. Got them with less than 100 miles on them for $850 on this forum. Bought the DBA standard (slotted only) front/rear rotors with Hawk HPS pads from KNS Brakes for $575 and a set of SS brake lines. Will be installing them in the next week. Documenting the weight differences and will post a DIY once I'm done.
Like to see the outcome
Old 09-19-2011, 11:58 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by _zebra
dos anybody know if these (or any other C5 big brake kit) will fit under an OEM rear 18x9.5 thin spoke on the front? that's what i'm running & i need some extra stopping power.
C6Z51will, I can't say specifically for the C6Z, cause of the offset.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:10 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
C6Z51will, I can't say specifically for the C6Z, cause of the offset.
hmm... well i was thinking of creating a Franken-set if i went with C6Z calipers. i want slotted-only rotors & would do a set of better single-piece pads. plus, the drilled Z51 rotors are expensive because of that weird size
Old 09-20-2011, 12:43 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

hmm... well i was thinking of creating a Franken-set if i went with C6Z calipers. i want slotted-only rotors & would do a set of better single-piece pads. plus, the drilled Z51 rotors are expensive because of that weird size
They're only like ~80 a piece? z51 rotors that is. What's your franken set? I think any other rotors than OEM are going to be exoensssiiivvee
Old 09-20-2011, 01:16 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

okay, i meant more expensive than stock C6Z rotors, so if i'm gonna spend more moniez on them, i may as well get a better set
Old 09-20-2011, 09:40 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by KCvetteowner
Thank you fo rthe input. That seems like a steal if you ask me. Great find.

What are the DBA "Standard" rotors, are they the 3000 series, 4000 series, or do they just call them "standard" Please do a weight comparison from your current rotors to the DBAs.

I just made contact with KNS as well, so that is a good "ball park" estimate for my set up as well, should I choose C6 Z06 calipers.

Who did you get your SS lines through? I believe I already have SS lines installed, so is there a difference in length or what is the true purpose of having SS lines, so they don't expand under pressure like stock lines?

Looking forward to the photos and DIY.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:17 AM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Thank you fo rthe input. That seems like a steal if you ask me. Great find.

What are the DBA "Standard" rotors, are they the 3000 series, 4000 series, or do they just call them "standard" Please do a weight comparison from your current rotors to the DBAs.

I just made contact with KNS as well, so that is a good "ball park" estimate for my set up as well, should I choose C6 Z06 calipers.

Who did you get your SS lines through? I believe I already have SS lines installed, so is there a difference in length or what is the true purpose of having SS lines, so they don't expand under pressure like stock lines?

Looking forward to the photos and DIY.
SS lines because you have to disconnect them anyway AND yes they don't expand like plain rubber AND some lines (including the C5 stock) have a "box" type connector on the end. You have to slice a little of the box corner to get them to fit properly on the C6Z calipers.

I purchased Goodrich ss lines and they don't have the "box" end so no modifications necessary. I will show in my DIY what I mean...
Old 07-18-2019, 04:05 AM
Craig Abe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17x8.5 Sawblade Rims in the front &17x9.5 in the rear

Got sum 17x8.5 Sawblade Rims in the front
&17x9.5 in the rear.
Will the C5 breaks clear These old skoo rims?
1993-96 C4 Sawblade Rims.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:21 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with post #5. Stock Cr brakes are fine with stock tires.
I went with the bigger C6 brakes along with DRM front ducts and their aluminum hat rotors-saves a bunch of weight over GM rotors
I run 285 front and 335 rear Toyo Proxes so I went with the bigger brakes. I have over 8,000 miles on the set up listed in signature and never had a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Corvettes with C6 Brakes: The 2011 Update

Quick Reply: C5 Corvettes with C6 Brakes: The 2011 Update