C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood strut install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hood strut install?

Well with my car being in a couple of shops for over two years, I guess it was inevitable that some things would get broken. So the driver's side hood strut got stripped out of the lower catch. I went and JB welded it together, but darn if I can compress that thing enough to get both ends on. How in the world do you do that? I've tried EVERY curse word I know, all to know avail...

Thanks for any advice...
Old 11-24-2011, 08:03 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not exactly sure what you mean, but, if you are unsuccessfully trying to compress the strut, you might try a wood or pipe clamp to compress the ends together, you can get one at lots of places.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Maybe this pic will help explain what I am talking about...

The shock absorber like strut that normally holds the hood up at the hinge is missing on that side because the bottom part of it broke. The problem is that I cannot compress that strut to get it onto the attachment points. And using some sort of clamp may not work too well because such a clamp would have to be pretty much the same length of the strut itself because of clearance issues.

Surely someone else has faced this problem before?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:48 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Have a helper to hold the hood for you.
Have large towel,blanket etc to protect the front facia (nose)
Look at the hood hinge that attaches the side of the hood to the top of the fender.
Mark the position of the hinge that sets on the top of the fender with marker,blue painters tape,etc.
Take the two nuts completely off, & lift up & off the two threaded posts. You can collasp the hinge now (towards the hood) if it's in your way.
This allows you to move the hood further or closer to where you can reinstall the strut.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bumble-z
Have a helper to hold the hood for you.
Have large towel,blanket etc to protect the front facia (nose)
Look at the hood hinge that attaches the side of the hood to the top of the fender.
Mark the position of the hinge that sets on the top of the fender with marker,blue painters tape,etc.
Take the two nuts completely off, & lift up & off the two threaded posts. You can collasp the hinge now (towards the hood) if it's in your way.
This allows you to move the hood further or closer to where you can reinstall the strut.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
OK, that sounds reasonable. But once the strut is on the hinge I still have to push that strut closed enough in order to put the botton of the hinge back onto those fender threaded posts. I don't remember, but are those threaded posts long enough that I can get the bottom of the hinge on them and tighten it down (collapsing the strut) with the nuts?

Thanks for your help with this...

Get notified of new replies

To Hood strut install?

Quick Reply: Hood strut install?