C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got an auto trans? Watch out for this gremlin...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by jdkskyking
Broke mine in my attempt to remove boot for cleaning. I've attempted a repair on the Red indicator. Also found a LED bulb at autozone. I'll post pictures soon.
Would love to see what you come up with for a repair...others have tried and failed...that little bugger is a challenge to say the least...
Old 01-06-2013, 12:44 PM
jdkskyking
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'm in the process of finishing the repair.

Epoxied a support that I fabricated.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 7131
Size:  59.6 KB
The following users liked this post:
James2000 (01-31-2016)
Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM
jdkskyking
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

I first glued the broken pieces back together with gel based "Super Glue".
I drilled small holes in each piece to pin the two parts together after gluing with epoxy.
Attached Images  
James2000 (01-31-2016)
Old 01-06-2013, 01:52 PM
jdkskyking
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Views: 7163
Size:  55.8 KB
James2000 (01-31-2016)
Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 PM
jdkskyking
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Ready to test my work.

Nicked the tab with my Dremel. I may try to fill it with a dab of epoxy.
Attached Images  
James2000 (01-31-2016)
Old 01-06-2013, 01:59 PM
jdkskyking
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Default C5 Shifter Boot

Stretches over its mount. Removing the boot from the mount may be the answer to removal and NOT breaking off the red indicator tab.
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

It doesn't seem to be of much concern considering the thread I started after reading yours.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...post1582751549

(thanks for the pic)
Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 PM
jdkskyking
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

I've got to sand down the channel the indicator rides on before I put everything together. Adding the brace and epoxy increases the thickness on those areas. I used 1/64th metal to fabricate the fix.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:01 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Originally Posted by jdkskyking
I've got to sand down the channel the indicator rides on before I put everything together. Adding the brace and epoxy increases the thickness on those areas. I used 1/64th metal to fabricate the fix.
that bugger has to slide freely in there once all is put back together...very tight tolerances....nice pics and a clever approach...maybe you can get this into the DIY vault pewter99 manages...talk to him.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 AM
jdkskyking
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Views: 7049
Size:  48.9 KB
Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 AM
jdkskyking
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Views: 7008
Size:  33.2 KB
Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 AM
jdkskyking
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Views: 7255
Size:  33.1 KB
Old 01-07-2013, 01:29 AM
jdkskyking
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

My daughter helped me reassemble the console. She did a great job I'm very proud of her.
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 AM
jdkskyking
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Completed by Brantly

Views: 7046
Size:  70.2 KB
Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Cannot get bulb out and sfraid

I will break the socket. Any ideas?

Last edited by David Shiel; 01-09-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Help! Bulb won't come out

I saw all the ways to get a grip on it, but............
when I pull hard on the bulb, it looks like the socket it is in deforms. Is that possible? Could I break the socket and be SOL? Or can I pull on it as firmly as required to pull the bulb?

Quit laughing !! Every time I set out to fix something not broke, I break it !!!

Just FYI, the red piece looks just fine on mine, but then only 18K.

No need to disassemble console. Had the bulb exposed in a few minutes by using the suggested small screw driver and proceding carefully. Great input .

Last edited by David Shiel; 01-17-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

So a while ago now I decided to take a look at my shifter to see what the story was, and it was just as cooked as something's was.

What I ended up doing was carefully disassembling the plastics (including the red tab) and grinding down the whole shifter backlight piece so that the just the top curved section was still there.

Then I took a 6" led strip I had laying around from another project and epoxied the thing (like crazy) to the back of the shifter strip, lining up the lights as best I could with the gear indicators.

Since the stock light housing was cooked to the point of disintigration, I snipped the wires and proceeded to wire in the seperate wiring hareness (two wires w/ connector) for the LED strip. This was probably the hardest part of the whole job due to space limitations within the shifter area.

The results, however, were well worth the effort. The entire shifter is incredibly bright now, such that you can clearly see the backlighting even during the day. It's like it should've been.

Sorry I don't have any photos of the work, it was very hands-on so I didn't have a free hand to take photos. If anyone's interested in doing this, I can photoshop up some reference stuff for you.
CorvetteBrent (09-05-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Got an auto trans? Watch out for this gremlin...

Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by flaagan
So a while ago now I decided to take a look at my shifter to see what the story was, and it was just as cooked as something's was.

What I ended up doing was carefully disassembling the plastics (including the red tab) and grinding down the whole shifter backlight piece so that the just the top curved section was still there.

Then I took a 6" led strip I had laying around from another project and epoxied the thing (like crazy) to the back of the shifter strip, lining up the lights as best I could with the gear indicators.

Since the stock light housing was cooked to the point of disintigration, I snipped the wires and proceeded to wire in the seperate wiring hareness (two wires w/ connector) for the LED strip. This was probably the hardest part of the whole job due to space limitations within the shifter area.

The results, however, were well worth the effort. The entire shifter is incredibly bright now, such that you can clearly see the backlighting even during the day. It's like it should've been.

Sorry I don't have any photos of the work, it was very hands-on so I didn't have a free hand to take photos. If anyone's interested in doing this, I can photoshop up some reference stuff for you.
Brilliant! Would love to see a pic of the prndl23 all lit up evenly, that's the one thing I don't like about just switching bulbs...uneven/dim at the ends.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Brilliant! Would love to see a pic of the prndl23 all lit up evenly, that's the one thing I don't like about just switching bulbs...uneven/dim at the ends.
Will do. Just took a couple of shots of it during the daytime, I'll get a couple night time shots this evening and post them up.

That was the other comment I was going to make regarding this little upgrade - before I put the LED's on the back of it, I didn't even realize the back light came whenever the car's on or the doors are opened, I thought it only came on when the headlights were on.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 AM
WilliamCall
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrowne
After reading this thread, I pried the PRNDL cover off in order to replace the 194 bulb with an LED. To my surprise - it came of easily and exposed the bulb. However, I could not get a good enough grip on the bulb to remove it from the socket. The bulb would move from side to side but wouldn't come loose. I tried pliers with the jaws taped, wrapped the bulb with rubber - nothing worked and I was afraid of breaking the bulb's glass envelope. I finally tried a piece of narrow, foam weather strip with adhesive on one side. I wrapped the bulb with the adhesive side against the glass envelope and got enough of a grip to pull the bulb. I hope this helps someone else remove the bulb without breaking the glass.
It's very easy to break those bulbs or the bulbs in the sun visor vanity mirrors. What works for me is heat shrink tubing. I place aluminum foil around the bulb (my heat shield protection), slide the heat shrink tubing over the bulb and heat it up with a heat gun. It's important to have plenty of aluminum foil for the surrounding area (so as to not scorch or melt any plastic parts. When the tubing has cooled down, just give it a strong pull and the bulb pops right out.

Quick Reply: Got an auto trans? Watch out for this gremlin...