C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"oil pressure sensor replacement".

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:10 PM
dmann1998
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "oil pressure sensor replacement".

Any advice on replacing the oil pressure sensor, seen sugested idea of cutting plastic to get to it and simple replacement, is this the typical way, what could i expect to pay for GM garage to replace by not cutting this piece of plastic. any links to help with this method or other would be appreciated.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:37 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Just one thread on the same issue makes it easier for members to follow and advise. You can click on your original thread and add another reply or question...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-at-130-a.html

A dealer will probably charge at least $75/hour just in labor.

I think most will advise that it's cleaner to remove the intake manifold and make the repair the suggested way. But some do manage to get their hands down there with the right tools and change the sensor out w/o removing the manifold. Cutting a hole in the wiper surround is quick and easy, but it wouldn't be my choice.

Another option is to plug off the oem position of the sensor and install an after market (or homemade) remotely mounted sensor.

The DIY sticky topic at the very top of the C5 Tech sub-forum has a number of useful threads on how to remove the manifold or install a remote mount oil pressure sensor.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 01-16-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 AM
joe Villarreal
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do it yourself and save some cash and learn how to work on yor car great post by mr.bill at top of tech page under ultimate repairs
Old 01-17-2012, 04:16 AM
routeman007
Burning Brakes

Default A Do-it-yourself video!

Yes, that's right, a do-it-yourself video on YOUTUBE. A twenty minuite procedure and you're done. I am no mechanic, but when the dealership said $117.50 an hour is what their mechanics cost. I watched this video and replaced it myself in thirty min on my "98 Coupe. Here is the link; why don't you give it a shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PvlDLcyXX8

Let us know how it turns out. Okay? (smile)
Old 01-17-2012, 07:39 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

And if you do get it changed using that video, post back here. You'll be one of the very few who claim it worked. I couldn't do it on a 2001 because of the extra things not shown in the video that were in the way.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:22 AM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'm in the middle of this proceedure right now. It is a really simple task so if you've got the tools, do it yourself. I agree about the youtube video 'howto' not being much help. I have skinny wrist and hands and I would not be able to get down in there. I am upgrading to an LS6 intake any way so I was taking the manifold off either way. Good luck with the fix
Old 01-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a write up with lots of pics.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...n-dummies.html
Old 01-29-2012, 04:52 PM
jpulone
Intermediate

I just replaced the sending unit and have a couple of tips.
No need to remove the front clamp to the filter. Just remove the hose and clamp at the thottle body and prop up with a block of wood.
After manifold is loose, remove the hose from the brake booster allows you to pull the manifold further forward to remove that hose at the back of the manifold in addition to small hose and electrical connector.
After putting in all new seals you must go back and re-torque the manifold bolts after a short run. I will go and do it again.
The foam covered black plactic tube on the driver side against the manifold separated and I rejoined with a rubber hose. Don't know why it broke, but it was a clean brake.
Thank you Forum for all the help. Made the job doable and saved lots of $$$.
Ciao
Old 01-29-2012, 09:39 PM
jwalton
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just did this and wrote up about it in two different threads (by request, not some desire to duplicate everything I do).

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...he-rescue.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...he-rescue.html

Hope it helps. You CAN do this yourself. Your hand does NOT have to reach all the way down there. Your fingers do have to be able to just reach the top of the sensor when you're just starting it in the hole while re-installing it, but only enough to get it to seat and stay by itself while you drop the socket on it to finish the job.

It took me about 45min because I worry about everything and quadruple check stuff as I go along. It could definitely be done faster.
The following users liked this post:
piratejeff (11-19-2019)
Old 02-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Rich98
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New member here, but been lurking for awhile.

Just did this repair today, read all the threads here on it and found all of them very helpful.

As for that Video, I have no idea how he replaced it that way, it took me a day to think about it, but ended up cutting a hole, will take photos tomorrow if it will help others, was afraid to remove the manifold.

And being my friends sensor on his car has gone bad a few times now, this approach will take only minutes in the future for me if it goes bad again.

Hardest part was removing and reinstalling the wire clip portion, couldn't get finger down there, didn't want to cut a large hole, I used a screwdriver to open the clip and a long thin needle nose pliers to pull it off, when it was time to reinstall the clip, it now had to be rotated 180 to get it on, didn't want to tighten the sensor any more to get it back to the original position, hard to get it to the new position with the needle nose, not much room to turn it when opened on the clip, but finally got it.

In the future, this repair will be a snap now that the access hole is there, removing the wipers and plastic shield only takes a few minutes.

Once everything is back together you will will never know that access hole is there, will place heating tape and spray it black to cover and seal it.

Pep boys carries the socket made just for this, fits perfect over it, it's called a sensor socket, makes sense eh, nice and thin so it doesn't hit anything around it.

I placed a thin strip of tape on the inside of the socket so the sensor was snug when removing and installing, it won't fall out this way causing everyone's problems of losing it down in the abyss.

Here are the photos of the new one installed.

Name:  P1040870.jpg
Views: 9742
Size:  101.2 KB
Name:  P1040872.jpg
Views: 11391
Size:  40.6 KB
Name:  P1040873.jpg
Views: 14044
Size:  63.0 KB

Hole, what hole.
Name:  P1040874.jpg
Views: 9433
Size:  65.1 KB
Name:  P1040875.jpg
Views: 11021
Size:  85.8 KB

Last edited by Rich98; 02-07-2012 at 12:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sam Handwich (08-28-2022)
Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

or you could buy a relocation kit....1 hour left on the auction
Old 02-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Rich98
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, didn't know about till now, maybe next time.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:11 PM
gsixl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I cut the hole in the cowel. Glad I did as the first one I put in lasted 30 days. Second time was easy.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:34 PM
BLUE Y2K
Intermediate

I cut the hole too with a Dremel and would do it again. I put metal tabs on the cutout with small screws and screwed it back into place and sealed with some black Permatex. Cost of gaskets and the frequency of failure made my decision.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:40 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
And if you do get it changed using that video, post back here. You'll be one of the very few who claim it worked. I couldn't do it on a 2001 because of the extra things not shown in the video that were in the way.
The Dealership did it this way for a friend of mine when he complained about what they wanted to do it removing the manifold.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:42 PM
cruzn99
4th Gear

Im going to pull the intake 2morrow and swap oil sender out and clean up intake and throttle body while it's out, I like the cut out idea if it's going to keep happening but I would use a drill and hole saw to cut a nice clean circle and cover the hole with one of those plastic caps used on an office desk, just my 2 cents.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:46 PM
jpulone
Intermediate

Default Intake replacement C5

I put sealant on the thread of the intake manifold bolts per the factory manual. I also put new seal from Fel Pro, all eight.
I have had to re torque at least 6 times at the required 87 in-lbs after a run and when engine in cold. Don't know if factory seals would need so much re torquing.

Get notified of new replies

To "oil pressure sensor replacement".

Old 03-10-2012, 01:57 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jpulone
I put sealant on the thread of the intake manifold bolts per the factory manual.
Sealant is not required per the service manual......threadlocker is required.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:25 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
Here is a write up with lots of pics.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...n-dummies.html
thats a great write up... sense of humor too...LOL

Cutting a hole because you want to save time? Seen that on Fbody's instead of dropping the gas tank but thats the first time I've seen that hack on a Vette.

Last edited by 99blancoss; 03-10-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:12 PM
rbrumm
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Just replaced my sensor. Cut the hole. It's easy to remove the wipers and the plastic section so you can get to the cut location. Prior to drilling a starter hole and cutting I put a piece of sheet metal between the fiberglass and the wires, hoses etc. so I did not have to worry aBout damaging them during my drilling and cutting . I used a rotodrill similar to the dremel it worked great I used alum duct tape underneath the cut out to hold the piece that I cut out and rubber hot glued back into place smoothed everything out and it looks fine and I can still get into it later if I need to. Put everything back together and you can even see that anything was done. I did try the remove the sender by just slipping a socket in there as shown in that Video I had a lot more things in the way than the video showed. Even with the help of my daughters very small hands it wasn't going to work.

Last edited by rbrumm; 03-10-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: "oil pressure sensor replacement".