C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C/I w/ stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:53 PM
MikeD.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default H/C/I w/ stock exhaust

Feel like its time to start modding my FRC. My plan is Ls6 intake, 243 heads, and a 224 cam. I would like to keep stock manifolds, H-pipe w/ cats, but I do have borla catback. What kind of performance am I looking at? I would like 400rw range, which im sure would be possible with LT's, but im in good old CA. I want to be able to pull up to the smog station and not sweat it.

Im guessing 375-380 range. Whats your opinions?

Thanks
Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Unsub
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That cam needs headers. There are many more suitable grinds to use stock manifolds.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well,,,,,,,,,, STOCK MANIFOLDS range anywhere from what you have to C5 ZO6 which were better flowing and the best STOCK manifolds GM ever offered (C6 ZO6) which do in fact fit. You have to do some modding but you can get them to fit.

Then you can try to find the CARB Legal shorty headers which are an improvement and if found used can be a better choice.

Follow this post:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...t-on-a-c5.html

BC
Old 03-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Unsub
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True the shorty's will work as well, easy to install and much lighter then stock manifolds so you get a weight savings performance advantage as well. You need a cam with a longer exhaust duration and lift I think. I'm far from a cam expert though and sure someone more knowledgable will chime in. Thunder racing put out what was called the old man cam back in the days that worked very well with stock manifolds.

Get notified of new replies

To H/C/I w/ stock exhaust

Quick Reply: H/C/I w/ stock exhaust