C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with cracked starter mount on LS6 block

Old 06-05-2012, 11:15 AM
stereomechanix
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with cracked starter mount on LS6 block

I just found out the other day that my starter on my LS6 (2001 Z06) had stopped working. Upon removal I found that in addition to the nose of the starter being cracked--the outer starter bung on the block had cracked. From researching on the forum it looks like this is not that uncommon. Most of the posts I've read state it is possibly caused by low voltage on start up causing the starter to twist? I am getting ready to spent over $1,000 to remove my engine, get the starter bung welded and retapped and reinstall the engine. My question is what can I do to prevent the possibility of this ever happening again? Is there a support bracket that I can buy to prevent this again?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Had your engine ever hydro locked from sucking in water?

Possibly the starter bolts had become loose?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:14 PM
stereomechanix
Instructor

No hydro lock or loose starter bolts (with the exception of the outer bolt where it cracked). The other bolt was extremely tight and I have no reason to believe the outer bolt was any different prior to the starter malfunction. The actual nose of the starter was cracked and i dont know if that brake in the starter could have caused it to tweek or twist causing the outer starter boass to crack or not? Thats what makes me nervouse about the potential for this to happen again.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:08 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by stereomechanix
No hydro lock ...
So you are saying, that you pulled the plugs, and checked for coolant in the cylinders?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:26 PM
stereomechanix
Instructor

Originally Posted by lucky131969
So you are saying, that you pulled the plugs, and checked for coolant in the cylinders?
Yes. Pulled plugs and also did a compression test. We are reading 165 to 170 crank compression. When we installed the new starter it cranked over initially fine although it was out of allignment after 2 or 3 starts. Thats when we found out there was a small crack on the outer starter mount.

Last edited by stereomechanix; 07-27-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:40 PM
USA-1 HP
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The repair can be accomplished without pulling the motor. You also need to find out what caused it to fail in the first place. I had an issue with one of my heads that allowed antifreeze to leak onto one of the cylinders. I spent alot of time researching this issue when I purchased the car last fall, some post said that the motor needs to be pulled and others stated it can be done without removal. The replacement starter now has (2) long bolts rather then (1) long & (1) short. Good luck with your repair.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:05 PM
AllVette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a later design starter that uses 2 long bolts instead of the long / short bolts. The newer starters come with one long bolt to replace the short one. This is supposed to prevent this problem.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 AM
stereomechanix
Instructor

Originally Posted by AllVette
There is a later design starter that uses 2 long bolts instead of the long / short bolts. The newer starters come with one long bolt to replace the short one. This is supposed to prevent this problem.

where do i get the newer design starter? i got the recommended one at autozone (auto parts store) and the one I got has the different sized bolts.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:23 AM
stereomechanix
Instructor

Originally Posted by USA-1 HP
The repair can be accomplished without pulling the motor. You also need to find out what caused it to fail in the first place. I had an issue with one of my heads that allowed antifreeze to leak onto one of the cylinders. I spent alot of time researching this issue when I purchased the car last fall, some post said that the motor needs to be pulled and others stated it can be done without removal. The replacement starter now has (2) long bolts rather then (1) long & (1) short. Good luck with your repair.
how can it be repaired with the engine staying put? everyone Ive called in my area is telling me that the block needs to be pulled--the hole completely filled in and then drilled and tapped. How would it be repaired in place? Also, where can I get the newer design starter you guys are talking about that uses 2 long bolts?

Last edited by stereomechanix; 07-27-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 AM
AllVette
Racer

where do i get the newer design starter? i got the recommended one at autozone (auto parts store) and the one I got has the different sized bolts
Starter
Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I think Curlee had it done to his block in the car-try Advanced Search.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:26 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
I think Curlee had it done to his block in the car-try Advanced Search.

I was thinking it was Patche's?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:30 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bumble-z
I was thinking it was Patche's?
I'm pretty sure I read that Bill Curlee had his engine welded without pulling it.

OP: Send him a PM
Old 06-06-2012, 11:44 AM
AllVette
Racer

Bill Curlee Broken Block
Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM
USA-1 HP
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My repair was done in Texas, where I purchased the car. If you do a search in digital corvette forums "another night in the junkmans garage" he recently went through the same ordeal with his. You need to find a shop that has the experience and know how to accomplish this task, just dont give up since it can be done. For the starter with the 2 long bolts, I just purchased a truck starter.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

If I wanted to check the starter mounting bolts and other connections on the starter, can it be done without dropping the exhaust pipe that runs near the starter area?

Get notified of new replies

To need help with cracked starter mount on LS6 block

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help with cracked starter mount on LS6 block