C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Spring Beginning to Splinter!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 08:26 PM
VettemanC5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Spring Beginning to Splinter!!!

After having my Trans Go shift kit installed the tech told me it looked like my front spring was cracking. Well I checked it myself and it has a splinter about four inches long and 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick. I have an extended warranty which I believe will cover the cost of the repair minus the $100 deductible of course. My question is will a Z06 front spring bolt on as a direct replacement of the stock spring? They are the same price from GM so I can get the Z06 spring if it will bolt directly on. Anyone know know? Thanks in advance. :cheers:
Old 05-29-2002, 10:53 PM
rickvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Front Spring Beginning to Splinter!!! (VettemanC5)

Vetteman-

Yes the Z06 spring(s) are a direct bolt on. There are sevral things to consider-
I would only change them in pairs (front/rear) otherwise you will have a seriously unbalanced C5.

I would alos change my shocks to match the increased load rates of the Z06 suspension.

This would also involve a stablizer bar (front and rear) change out to the Z06 bars, bushings and metal links.

All in all you will end up spending a lot to achieve your results. It may pay to only change the failing front spring (not as uncommon as may think)!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Quick Reply: Front Spring Beginning to Splinter!!!