C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 GS/ZO6 calipers & rotors on a C5 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:10 PM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 GS/ZO6 calipers & rotors on a C5 Coupe

I want to start rounding up parts necessary to install C6 GS/ZO6 6-piston calipers and OE rotors onto a 2001 C5 Coupe. Namely, the most cost effective/best place to get the factory parts needed. Dealer pricing is steep. Im also looking to understand any fitment issues, special parts needed (adapter plates, fittings, etc). I have C6 ZO6 replica wheels already, so should be good on wheel clearance.

Input would be great. Thanks
Old 08-16-2012, 04:07 PM
KillSwitchNY
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have C6Z Replicas in a C5 offset I doubt they will work. The wheel may hit the face of the caliper, may need spacers. I have the C6Z brakes but also a set of custom HRE wheels and they fit very tight. I will be dry fitting a set of Ace Slick 18x19 C6 offsets this weekend and will see how that goes.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:08 PM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KillSwitchNY
If you have C6Z Replicas in a C5 offset I doubt they will work. The wheel may hit the face of the caliper, may need spacers. I have the C6Z brakes but also a set of custom HRE wheels and they fit very tight. I will be dry fitting a set of Ace Slick 18x19 C6 offsets this weekend and will see how that goes.
KillSw: so did all the C6 ZO6 brake hardware fit onto the spindles ok? no special adapters or other hardware needed? Did you simply order the latest model year GS or ZO6 calibers & rotors from GM or a discount AM supplier? My replicas are not C5 offsets as I have tubbed wells. Thanks
Old 08-16-2012, 06:23 PM
KillSwitchNY
Pro

Originally Posted by rwj383
KillSw: so did all the C6 ZO6 brake hardware fit onto the spindles ok? no special adapters or other hardware needed? Did you simply order the latest model year GS or ZO6 calibers & rotors from GM or a discount AM supplier? My replicas are not C5 offsets as I have tubbed wells. Thanks
Well the car came with the brakes and wheels already done. IIRC the calipers and rotors should just bolt up but you will need C6Z brake hoses. Russell makes them in DOT steel braided, which is what I'm planning on upgrading to as soon as I do my brake job this week. Mine are from an 06 but I think they are all the same. Your best bet would be to contact one of the guys at GMPARTSHOUSE I think they will give you the best deal and all the necessary parts to do the job. Good luck. Great upgrade. For the first week of driving the car I nearly put my head through the windshield every time I tried to come to a stop. Super sensitive and positive feeling. Requires little to no effort to stop the car. Use good pads with minimal dust, I am dying over here cleaning my wheels every 2 days with stock pads.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:54 PM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KillSwitchNY
....Use good pads with minimal dust, I am dying over here cleaning my wheels every 2 days with stock pads.
Great help here Kill. What pad option over OE do you recommend?

Again, great info, Im checking that link now for prices.

Regards - Robert
Old 08-17-2012, 01:28 PM
KillSwitchNY
Pro

Originally Posted by rwj383
Great help here Kill. What pad option over OE do you recommend?

Again, great info, Im checking that link now for prices.

Regards - Robert
I am personally a huge fan of the Hawk HPS compound. Been using them on most of mine and families vehicles for years. As much as you would think they wear out, the actually last a long time. The ceramic ones they have are also good and produce even less dust/more life but don't have as much bite.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 GS/ZO6 calipers & rotors on a C5 Coupe

Quick Reply: C6 GS/ZO6 calipers & rotors on a C5 Coupe