C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin vs Good Year

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:21 AM
Hillsdale
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin vs Good Year

Run Flats - Michelin vs Good Year, any comments or history. Need new tires and seems the fronts wear out much faster than the back ones,
with no evidence of uneven wear pattern
Old 10-07-2012, 04:43 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Tires

I don't know what year or type car you have? I think if you supply that info you may get a few more answers. I have a 99 vert 7 years now. This is my experience. The GY's are really not good for anything except heavy rain when they're new. Seems like after a few thousand miles they don't even really stick to dry ground. After a few sets of these I switched to Michelins, also run flats, and was interested to see the improvement. Seemed to grab dry road much better, same on wet road as the GY's. Now here is the real night and day. Changed to 18's front and 19's rear, 265/30-18 and 305/30-19
Michelin Super sports non run flat. Add one four wheel alignment and there is so much improvement I'm thinking I was driving a cargo van before. I've never had a flat in this car and no longer go on long road trips so I just have a good AAA membership instead. Bottom line for me is run flats are only really good for one thing, running flat. Other than that I don't know. You could also just get Michelin SSports non run flats to fit your existing wheels. Just make sure you get a good alignment. As far as wear I don't know why your fronts wear out sooner, my experience has been the opposite. Maybe you drive like an old lady?? good luck with the tires.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:07 AM
BigRobDsp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goodyear makes bad tires. Michelin makes great tires but are expensive. If you search you will find about 1 million different opinions with advice on tire brands, but I doubt you will find someone that likes goodyears...
Old 10-07-2012, 09:42 AM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRobDsp
Goodyear makes bad tires. Michelin makes great tires but are expensive. If you search you will find about 1 million different opinions with advice on tire brands, but I doubt you will find someone that likes goodyears...
I have had 2 sets of GoodYear GSD3's and they are the best tires I have ever owned. In addition, I bought GY Assurance tires for the family suv to replace the Bridgestone's Duelers which were the worst tires I have had and the ride, dry/wet traction changed dramatically for the good. Never had a problem with GoodYear tires. Since they don't make the GSD3's anymore I don't know what tire I will replace them with. It may very well be Michelin's since they do make good tires also but they are pricey. I will probably go to the Tire Rack and see what tire is recommended since they test and evaluate them.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:01 AM
2blklt4
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsdale
Run Flats - Michelin vs Good Year, any comments or history. Need new tires and seems the fronts wear out much faster than the back ones,
with no evidence of uneven wear pattern
I only run runflats and had the michelins and kumhos. Kumhos lasted abut 50% less than original GY. They cost half too. Michelins are almost as expensive as GY and also lasted less then GY. Did nt notice better performance than GY...I thought they flex when cornering hard.
By far I preffer the original GY runflats.
The very stiff sidewall of GY gives the car a very precise steering and zero flexing. For a stock car like mine I stick with GY runflats.
What you pay is what you get. General makes tires for our cars and are around $120/piece. Trust me you don't want those...
Not to mention GY are the widest of all tires in that size.
Fronts wear fast when they are underinflated. if you get under 30 psi outer edges will wear. if you overinflate then center will wear out faster. Keep it at 30-33 psi cold.

Last edited by 2blklt4; 10-07-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:43 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

If I had to put the Good Year F1 Eagles that came OEM back on my car I'd sell it. They're about $100.00 each more than the Michelins don't last as long and will not stay stuck to the road. Crap tires
Old 10-07-2012, 12:54 PM
mikes1hog
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oldtimer

Somewhere on this forum was a guy who was complaining about his Michelin Sports A/S tires. It seems that he only got 50,000 or so miles on them and they were starting to show signs of wear. I plan to use those as well; my M3 has them on and they are amazing in smoothness of ride and performance.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:03 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems like most people like the Michelin's allot better for comfort, noise, and traction.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:04 PM
FRITZM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Tires

Michelins, hands down, no contest w/GYs.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:09 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FRITZM
Michelins, hands down, no contest w/GYs.
The only problem is Michelin is VERY proud of their 345x30x19 PS2's.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:13 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRobDsp
....but I doubt you will find someone that likes goodyears...
I'll be the weirdo that likes those garbage Goodyear tires.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 PM
2blklt4
Pro

Originally Posted by lucky131969
I'll be the weirdo that likes those garbage Goodyear tires.
I second that
Old 10-07-2012, 08:35 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Went from OEM GY to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZPs and never looked back

The GYs with almost new tread made my 97 vert into a toboggan with about 1/8" of snow on a straight and level 6 lane road at 55 MPH.
Skidded and thought I would end up flipped over in the median.
Harsh ride and NOISE. Thought the noise was due to the verts rag top.
When they wore out at about 32000 miles (all 4 were shot) got Michelin PS A/S ZP (all season zero pressure ie. runflats).
NO COMPARISON. Handled MUCH BETTER and felt like I was driving on tires not bricks. The noise level was also much lower. Almost like a coupe or sedan. Have had them on for several years and still have 50% tread left. Cost a fortune but worth it. Had them roadforce balanced on a Hunter machine. Now I have put Z06 sways and shocks on and the ride is a little stiffer but still good. Go with Michelin. Don't think they make the A/S ZPs now but something else is comparable.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Good years on a truck or jeep? Sure. For a Corvette? Not a chance in hell...
Old 10-07-2012, 11:22 PM
mikes1hog
Pro

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by WKMCD
The only problem is Michelin is VERY proud of their 345x30x19 PS2's.
We are used to that; right. Everything "Corvette" is overpriced as well. There is a slight difference, Michelin does deliver on their claims.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Michelin >>>>> Goodyear.

I replaced my GY run flats with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and I am much happier with the Michelins.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM
The Big Guy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Michelins Pilot Sport PS2 Z/P. Good year has a LONG, LONG way to go to even come near Michelins ! Go the extra $and have the piece of mind that you have the best for yourself and the car. Thats my 2CTS.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin vs Good Year

Old 10-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Old Horsepower
Instructor

I like the original equipment Goodyear. Yes their noisy. But I get great traction ( the hotter they get the better they grip) and great mileage. I researched tires and selected the Michelin's for the gf's C5. She hates them. Even though they are the correct size she can't stand the way they look. High profile (looks like she's 4 wheel driving, car doesn't even scrap in driveways anymore) and they look like skinny bicycle tires. When we park side by side it's like night and day how they look. But her Vette does have a quiet ride now and they do seem to work well. You just loose that low fat look of the Goodyear.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:12 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Grip

Hey "Old Horsepower"
If you think the Good Years grip the road? You might want to go ck into getting your ride a tune up!!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by 2blklt4
I only run runflats and had the michelins and kumhos. Kumhos lasted abut 50% less than original GY. They cost half too. Michelins are almost as expensive as GY and also lasted less then GY. Didn't notice better performance than GY...I thought they flex when cornering hard.
By far I preffer the original GY runflats.
The very stiff sidewall of GY gives the car a very precise steering and zero flexing. For a stock car like mine I stick with GY runflats.
I posted a question about the Michelins being noisy in the "wheel and tire" section, and didn't get much of a response. This discussion got my interest....

Naturally, I had the GY run-flats as OE on my C-5. I was disappointed, as I got only about 14,000 miles out of them. However, when I went to replace them A) GY was on strike, and tires were in short supply; and B) many people here were raving about the Michelins. So, I went with the Michelins.

To me, they weren't the "great salvation" that people originally said they were. Yes, their "tractor tread" would no doubt be better in the rain, but now that I have 8-9000 miles on them, I find that they've gotten very noisy. Secondly, I think the GY's stiffer sidewalls gave better steering response.

I'm kind of sorry that I wasn't a little patient and waited for GY to settle the strike, and then gotten another set of their tires.

Quick Reply: Michelin vs Good Year