C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have info on rebuilding 4L60's?? what can be done to make them stronger??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:15 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Anyone have info on rebuilding 4L60's?? what can be done to make them stronger??

I've got a 4L60 sitting here with 150k miles on it. (was planning to run it in my Z06 with some FI)

What are the weak points in the 60?

What areas need to be addressed?

I'm looking for it to handle 5-600whp without fuss.

While were at it, Yank or Vigilante for the TC, and what stall can survive 5000miles/year of abuse?

Thanks very much.

I'm aware of Rodney and the crew at RPMtransmission.com, I've installed dozens over the years, I would just like to learn more about the auto's
Old 11-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Big_George_S
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
I've got a 4L60 sitting here with 150k miles on it. (was planning to run it in my Z06 with some FI)

What are the weak points in the 60?

What areas need to be addressed?

I'm looking for it to handle 5-600whp without fuss.

While were at it, Yank or Vigilante for the TC, and what stall can survive 5000miles/year of abuse?

Thanks very much.

I'm aware of Rodney and the crew at RPMtransmission.com, I've installed dozens over the years, I would just like to learn more about the auto's
There are a couple of places you can turn to, for our cars with 5-600 whp you can look to Monster transmission, they sell a rebuild upgrade in a box with good components. They however would not sell me a 4L80E for my application. I ended up getting Hughes transmission to build me a 4L80E with trans break with all billit internals. This is not in my Corvette, it is in my son's wagon that putts 1100 ftlbs of torque to the ground on a fullsize 5000 lb wagon. The trans is holding up great we have made several runs and it has worked flawlessly.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:57 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Too bad a 4L80 won't bolt into a C5...

There is a lot of good info on the internet if you google performance 4L60E.

Go here for a lot of good info. The 4L60E really got popular with the advent of the LS engine.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission-13/

You aren't going to hear much good about Monster there I'm afraid.

Personally, I went with Performabuilt in my C5, a level 2 and it has been excellent. Also went with a Yank SS3600 converter. Vigillante is good, PTC is good, and so is Circle D. You need to spend some bucks if you want lockup to work at WOT.

I'm at about 3k miles and 50 dragstrip passes on my setup, no complaints.

You will either need to learn to tune transmission parameters yourself, of find an excellent tuner who can do it for you.

Ron

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have info on rebuilding 4L60's?? what can be done to make them stronger??

Quick Reply: Anyone have info on rebuilding 4L60's?? what can be done to make them stronger??