C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Squeaky clutch pedal

I've been changing out my clutch fluid over the past 3 weeks including this afternoon. And now today my clutch pedal started squeaking when pumping it during the procedure.

Any ideas as to what is going on ??

Old 12-02-2012, 10:07 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Supposedly the massively expensive GM brake/clutch fluid has an extra chemical to stop the squeaking. I use it and it doesn't squeak.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

So its the brake fluid I'm using ???
Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

After you've checked and lubricated all the pivot points - the only thing left is the actual master cylinder. The only things that could squeak are the seals. The GM fluid has an anti-squeak element included. But bring money. $12.00/pint

I never had any problem with STP or Prestone. But Wearever squealed like a pig.
The clutch pedal felt strangely stiff for months afterword then the slave cylinder took a dump.

After replacing everything I'm sticking to the GM original. I sell my blood to afford it.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Took it for a drive and the sweak went away.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:51 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
I've been changing out my clutch fluid over the past 3 weeks including this afternoon. And now today my clutch pedal started squeaking when pumping it during the procedure.

Any ideas as to what is going on ??

same darn thing happened to me tonight. flushed the clutch with GM fluid and the pedal started to squeak. sounded like it coming from under the car not the pedal or the springs. anyway I WD-40 the spring and area at the firewall and no help. decided I'd take it for a quick ride around the neighborhood and as soon as I started the car it went away. I will sleep better tonight.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
Took it for a drive and the sweak went away.

This is completely normal when you perform a flush and pump the clutch pedal without starting the car. The squeaking disappears once you start the car and go for a drive. There have been numerous members that have been surprised by this. Just make sure you use a good quality Dot3 or Dot4 brake fluid or the GM fluid if you prefer.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:09 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I used WD40 on some moving components on the clutch pedal area. Go under the drivers dash, you ll have to get on your back and will need a flashlight and a rag. Next to the clutch starter switch, you will see a rubber grommet with a metal rod going through it into the firewall. Spray some WD40 in that area and push the pedal in and out to get it lubricated. Before you spray, keep a small rag next to the clutch switch because some excess fluid may come down and you want to protect it.

You will also see some other moving components, you can also spray some there too.

After a nice spray down, no more sqeaky pedal.

Last edited by Ikester; 04-20-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Squeaky clutch pedal

Quick Reply: Squeaky clutch pedal