C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRL housing change-out

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Siaran
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default DRL housing change-out

Having the passenger side DRL housing replaced at a shop tomorrow. They are charging me for 1.5 hours labor. Does that sound reasonable for those of you that have done the work yourself? I've read many of the threads here and it seems like it's a faster fix. Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Kuzma823
Advanced

You mean the housing right below the headlights that holds the DRL and turn signal? 1.5hours seems high depending on how they are accessing it. I am sure there are multiple ways of getting to the part (from below, removing light, or possibly no disassembly if you have small hands) and they are probably quoting the GM labor guide... hopefully they will be able to do it faster and only charge you for true change time.

If you can, I would think of doing it yourself since 1.5hours would be about $150 in labor! If I recall all you do is:

Get the front end high enough for you to comfortably work on it (ground level is do-able).
Take off the access panel located below the housing to be replaced. The panel is on the bottom side of the front bumper and extends into the wheel well. I believe removal is 8 small screws (either 7 or 8mm if I recall) six underneath and two inside the wheel-well.
Remove the DRL bulb and the turn signal bulb and move them out of the way.
Disconnect the spring holding tension on the housing to keep it in place and then remove the housing.
Reverse the previous steps to install.

That should roughly be the steps but its been a while since I have done mine so memory might be a bit fuzzy
Old 02-13-2013, 11:35 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Kuzma823
You mean the housing right below the headlights that holds the DRL and turn signal? 1.5hours seems high depending on how they are accessing it. I am sure there are multiple ways of getting to the part (from below, removing light, or possibly no disassembly if you have small hands) and they are probably quoting the GM labor guide... hopefully they will be able to do it faster and only charge you for true change time.

If you can, I would think of doing it yourself since 1.5hours would be about $150 in labor! If I recall all you do is:

Get the front end high enough for you to comfortably work on it (ground level is do-able).
Take off the access panel located below the housing to be replaced. The panel is on the bottom side of the front bumper and extends into the wheel well. I believe removal is 8 small screws (either 7 or 8mm if I recall) six underneath and two inside the wheel-well.
Disconnect the spring holding tension on the housing to keep it in place and then remove the housing.

That should roughly be the steps but its been a while since I have done mine so memory might be a bit fuzzy
If you did this for the first time, it might take you an hour. If you've done it once, the second time would take you less than 30 minutes.. If I "had" to do it in 15 minutes I could do it.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:37 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 208 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuzma823

Disconnect the spring holding tension on the housing to keep it in place and then remove the housing. Remove 7mm and 10mm bolts holding housing to bumper.

Added some info in bold. Very easy to do yourself.
If you decide to take it in, it is at most a half hour procedure.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:53 PM
Siaran
Intermediate

My two bulb changes were successful but painful, so I don't think I want to attempt this. No patience and no mechanical knowledge here anyway, but I appreciate the advice.

I too thought 1.5 hours was a bit much. I'll give the mechanic some grief over it and see if they can fix it any faster :] Thank you all.

Get notified of new replies

To DRL housing change-out

Quick Reply: DRL housing change-out