C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange electrical problem. Possible EBCM Related.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 PM
F8LWS6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange electrical problem. Possible EBCM Related.

Alright so heres the story. I've got a 2002 Z06 and unfortunately some water had collected into the EBCM and caused it to short out causing some damage to the wiring harness as well. I replaced the harness with one off 2003 convertible and rewired everything as it was in the Z06.

So in the meantime I went to FParts in Bristol and bought an EBCM from them which they told me all 01 - 04 EBCM are the same but I keep finding different information on that. The one I bought from FParts has PB stamped on the top and front, which from what I can tell is from a 2004. Mine is stamped SB on top and SC on front.

So I hooked up the one I just got today and this is what it's doing to me. With the EBCM plugged in the car will start but the Oil pressure reads 0, the Temperature reads maximum, and the Fuel level reads empty. Also HPTuners can not locate the VCM at all. As soon as I unplug the EBCM everything goes back to working. Also if the car is off and I unplug the EBCM the doors will do an automatic unlock.

So at this point I just found a bunch more wiring diagrams so that I can double check that i've rewired everything properly. But i'm also curious is there is any way a mismatched EBCM can cause this behavior.

Thank you for any insight!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:28 PM
F8LWS6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update time. Turns out I screwed up on the wiring harness. I had wire # 21 ABS/TCS Class 2 Serial Data installed in #20 which was supposed to be empty! So mark this one solved.

Quick Reply: Strange electrical problem. Possible EBCM Related.