C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Umm Dude, I think my clutch is going out @ 7K miles.. Sniff Sniff

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 09:49 AM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Umm Dude, I think my clutch is going out @ 7K miles.. Sniff Sniff (Gary2KC5)

Gary I understand that but I was surprised that the clutch would be in almost new condition with 30+ passes at the 1/4 mile and street use. :D
Old 06-30-2002, 11:21 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Umm Dude, I think my clutch is going out @ 7K miles.. Sniff Sniff (GaryZ06)

I would bleed/flush the clutch fluid for starters:
http://97vette.com/howto/clutchbleed/index.html

Remove all the fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster, then wipe all the crap out of the reservoir with a paper towel. Then every few months you can get most of the fluid out of the reservoir with a baster and replace with fresh.

It is a PITA but here is what the reservoir looks like on a 01 Z06 with 16k miles:

Old 06-30-2002, 12:16 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Umm Dude, I think my clutch is going out @ 7K miles.. Sniff Sniff (GaryZ06)

Gary I understand that but I was surprised that the clutch would be in almost new condition with 30+ passes at the 1/4 mile and street use. :D
Yes, I see your point about the 30 heavy uses on the clutch at the track.

The Z peice is a better clutch though and (at least for me) most of the time inspecting a removed clutch is after many miles or one that has been fried.

As long as you weren't spinning the clutch on your launches it shouldn't have been worn too bad after only 12k miles.

It had to be a little shock, though, to see a perfectly good clutch when it was being torn down for a defective one though.
Old 06-30-2002, 12:30 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Default Re: Umm Dude, I think my clutch is going out @ 7K miles.. Sniff Sniff (Gary2KC5)

As long as you weren't spinning the clutch on your launches it shouldn't have been worn too bad after only 12k miles.

It had to be a little shock, though, to see a perfectly good clutch when it was being torn down for a defective one though.
No I really don't spin(slip) the clutch on launches.Yes I was surprised at the clutch.It looked almost as good as the new one.

Old 06-30-2002, 12:43 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

As mentioned, the ZO6 clutch setup may cure your problems, but if you are going to be drag racing alot, I would recommend a Cartech clutch setup. It has about twice the clamping force of your clutch and I think the Z clutch has only about 20% more clamping force. If you are going to spend the money to get in there and change it, I'd spend the $$$ and get a cartech. they also modify the master and get rid of the line restriction at the same time.
Old 06-30-2002, 04:15 PM
C5Noir
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Umm Dude, I think my clutch is going out @ 7K miles.. Sniff Sniff (bparker)

Yes - that is the only adjective I can come up with to explain it.. Its like the clutch didn’t let completely loose - but the RPMs stayed up round 4K but the car was on it face decelerating dramatically.. :confused: And the engine "sounded" like it was bogging @ 4K RPMs.. And another thought just came to mind - I never smelled clutch either but I am totaly assuming it was.. Well wth - what could it be?? :smash:
What would this mean if your RPM's hung at the same position but the car fell on its face? thanks.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:30 AM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Umm Dude, I think my clutch is going out @ 7K miles.. Sniff Sniff (C5Noir)

Well.. are you ruling the clutch out then?
I have a couple ideas.

Watch your batery voltage while driving around town. Also, watch your voltage the next time you bog down.
Where is your voltage at? Specifically when bogging??
Old 07-01-2002, 02:32 AM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Umm Dude, I think my clutch is going out @ 7K miles.. Sniff Sniff (MelloYellow)

Well.. are you ruling the clutch out then?
I have a couple ideas.

Watch your batery voltage while driving around town. Also, watch your voltage the next time you bog down.
Where is your voltage at? Specifically when bogging??
I have driven the Z a few times this weekend and it seems to be fine.. I guess I just got it too hot when I did the long burn out.. as I was still rolling when I lit the tires and then hit the brakes (I guess too hard) thus making the clutch slip - then it over heated and didnt bounce back..

Now, I hope that it lasts and works properly and only time will tell and or another trip to the track..

We'll see..

BP
Old 07-01-2002, 02:35 AM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Umm Dude, I think my clutch is going out @ 7K miles.. Sniff Sniff (C5Noir)

What would this mean if your RPM's hung at the same position but the car fell on its face? thanks.
Yep - the RPMs stayed up - however the car wasnt going anywhere as I lost MPH like I was on the brakes.. look at the MPH on the time slip.. then check the time slip in my sig which is what my "usual" MPH is..
Old 07-01-2002, 09:24 AM
IMQUIK
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Umm Dude, I think my clutch is going out @ 7K miles.. Sniff Sniff (bparker)

Another A4 PLUS :yesnod: No Smell. :nonod:

Quick Reply: Umm Dude, I think my clutch is going out @ 7K miles.. Sniff Sniff