C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Vic'sVette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Charging System Fault

Hello, I just bought a 2001 Z06. Battery was dead. I put battery from my 2001 coupe in it, checked all the fluids, & drove it home over 6 hours at night with lights on with no problem. Every time I start it up, I get a Charging System Fault message. It shows charging (a little over 13v). Throwing no current codes at all. Any ideas/suggestions??? Thx.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Vic'sVette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PS, I do NOT see any stickers on the alternator at all so I'm not sure if its a french made Valeo or not. Maybe this is giving the message??? Any problem not running the french made Valeo???
Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Big_George_S
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've owned my car since new and get that message every now and then. Some will tell you to do an R&R on the ground points. I did that for another problem and still get the same message. My car has never failed to start and is still running strong.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:50 PM
tycksena
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vic'sVette
Hello, I just bought a 2001 Z06. Battery was dead. I put battery from my 2001 coupe in it, checked all the fluids, & drove it home over 6 hours at night with lights on with no problem. Every time I start it up, I get a Charging System Fault message. It shows charging (a little over 13v). Throwing no current codes at all. Any ideas/suggestions??? Thx.
Sounds like a loose connection to me, especially if its intermittent. 95% of electrical failures are due to loose wires. I would check your connections from the battery to the starter and from the starter to the alternator. If you have a digital multimeter (DMM) handy, check your resistance between those points. Should be less than 1 Ohm if I remember right. Keep us posted and look for a post from Bill Curlee, he is the C5 electrical expert.

Get notified of new replies

To Charging System Fault

Quick Reply: Charging System Fault