C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 06:38 AM
masti04
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Clutch Question

Hello,

I am currently having an issue with my clutch whereby after hard accelerations (up to and over 5k RPM), the clutch suddenly lets out at the floor for the next gearshift. After 10 minutes or so of normal driving, the clutch lets out at it's regular spot. I'm trying to diagnose if the slave cylinder or master cylinder are the culprit.

Some history: The car is an 01 Z with 103k on the odometer. I bought the car with 88k on it exactly 2 years ago and replaced the original clutch with a Monster Stage 1 kit from Tick Performance at 93k. While I was in there, I replaced the slave cylinder with a new GM unit (with speed bleeder) and a Tick Performance (Tilton) master cylinder kit.

The clutch started acting up about 3-4 weeks ago after my last track day. I had just gotten off of the track and went onto the skid pad. I slid out (controlled slide on the skidpad) and all of a sudden, my clutch was letting off at the floor. After bleeding it, the clutch seemed fine for street driving, but would start letting out at the floor during hard accelerations. I have subsequently bled the clutch system 3 separate times, all using brand new, unopened AP Racing 600 fluid and the problem persists. I have sucked the fluid out of the reservoir and circulated 1/2 a bottle of fluid through the system just to make sure all of the fluid was changed, but to no avail.

I've only put about 10k miles on the clutch with no drag racing, hard street launches or burnouts. I do have about a dozen autox's and 10 track days on it, but 10k seems to be a very short amount of time for either the slave or master cylinder to need replacing.

Any thoughts???
Old 10-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 437 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by masti04
Hello,

I am currently having an issue with my clutch whereby after hard accelerations (up to and over 5k RPM), the clutch suddenly lets out at the floor for the next gearshift. After 10 minutes or so of normal driving, the clutch lets out at it's regular spot. I'm trying to diagnose if the slave cylinder or master cylinder are the culprit.

Some history: The car is an 01 Z with 103k on the odometer. I bought the car with 88k on it exactly 2 years ago and replaced the original clutch with a Monster Stage 1 kit from Tick Performance at 93k. While I was in there, I replaced the slave cylinder with a new GM unit (with speed bleeder) and a Tick Performance (Tilton) master cylinder kit.

The clutch started acting up about 3-4 weeks ago after my last track day. I had just gotten off of the track and went onto the skid pad. I slid out (controlled slide on the skidpad) and all of a sudden, my clutch was letting off at the floor. After bleeding it, the clutch seemed fine for street driving, but would start letting out at the floor during hard accelerations. I have subsequently bled the clutch system 3 separate times, all using brand new, unopened AP Racing 600 fluid and the problem persists. I have sucked the fluid out of the reservoir and circulated 1/2 a bottle of fluid through the system just to make sure all of the fluid was changed, but to no avail.

I've only put about 10k miles on the clutch with no drag racing, hard street launches or burnouts. I do have about a dozen autox's and 10 track days on it, but 10k seems to be a very short amount of time for either the slave or master cylinder to need replacing.

Any thoughts???
The clutch and slave should be replaced. That is what I had to do when my stock clutch stuck to the bottom of the floor at the track. I had to use my toe to pull the clutch back off the floor.

If you need a clutch I have a barely used SPEC Stage IV with newly resurfaced steel flywheel that is in a box ready to ship. $350.00

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 10-29-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Clutch Question