C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to use to lubricate sway bar end links?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 06:37 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Default What to use to lubricate sway bar end links?

So in the FAQ I read it's common to hear squeaking/creaking from aftermarket sway bar end links when going over bumps and such if they're in need of lubrication.

My car makes quite a bit of creaking now, and the stock F45 shocks are shot, so I'm replacing the shocks with DRM Bilsteins and swapping to C5Z f+r springs, so if the noise is from blown shocks it'll be gone after install.

However, the car does have a set of sways on it already from the previous owner (MTI big red I think? - They're red in color and I know of no other sways that are), so I'm thinking it could be the end links, so I'd like to lube them to help eliminate the noise... What do I use?
Old 03-07-2014, 07:12 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

gorilla snot

energy suspension sells a suspension grease that's extremely water resistant and sticky

Amazon.com: Energy Suspension 9.11104 Formula 5 Prelube Grease - 8 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Energy Suspension 9.11104 Formula 5 Prelube Grease - 8 oz.: Automotive

^^ see link

Last edited by racebum; 03-07-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:52 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

The noise is probably the bushings, not the end links. +1 for Energy Suspension grease. Some of the stickiest stuff out there, it will last a while. Another trick that works is to wrap the part of the bar that goes through the bushing with teflon tape.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:56 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default I used teflon tape (plumbers variety) on the bushings and nothing on the links

Replaced stock bar with Z06 bar and wrapped about 3 or 4 layers of teflon tape around bar under the bushings and tightend the metal end links as tight as I could get them. 3 years later no squeeks.

Get notified of new replies

To What to use to lubricate sway bar end links?

Quick Reply: What to use to lubricate sway bar end links?