C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found my exhaust rattle - except it wasnt the exhaust :/

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 11:21 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Found my exhaust rattle - except it wasnt the exhaust :/

I had a pretty annoying rattle around 15-1700 rpm under light load. The worst was when rolling to a stop with the a/c on. I did a serarch and found a bunch of guys have found loose or cracked pipes so I went down to the local exhaust place and put it up on a lift. Couldnt get the car to do it on the lift but we inspected everything and beat on the exhaust everywhere with a rubber mallet and didnt find anything :(

When it was on the rack I noticed a clip nut and bolt missing that holds one of the side air dams was missing so I jacked it up to replace it when i ot home. When I tapped the front air dam with the ratchet I heard a rattle - turns out there are two long coil springs behind the air dam that were against the metal backing for the dam. The springs were just barely touching the metal but whe they rattled they sure were loud - kind of like a snare drum. I split and slid a piece of 3/8 fuel line over each spring and now people dont look at me funny when I roll up to a red light - it sounded pretty nasty. It was hard to tell where it was coming from when driving the car with the windows down, all I could tell it coming from underneath. I love cheap/easy fixes. If anyone has posted about this I apologize, I did a few searches and came up with nothing.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:29 PM
RHILL
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Found my exhaust rattle - except it wasnt the exhaust :/ (kp)

Bitchen ...... no more shake rattle and roll :jester :smash:
Old 07-19-2002, 11:30 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 81 Posts

Congrats on finding (& fixing) the rattle! :smash:
Old 07-19-2002, 11:34 PM
luvinc5
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Found my exhaust rattle - except it wasnt the exhaust :/ (CliffB-99)

good work
Old 07-20-2002, 11:06 AM
nevadacoin
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Found my exhaust rattle - except it wasnt the exhaust :/ (luvinc5)

dealer would have never found that one...good job.. :cheers:
Old 07-20-2002, 03:17 PM
gaww
Racer

kp,

THANK YOU! After much frustration from that nasty butt sounding rattle that I hardly expect from a car of this caliber and that I could hardly identify, my problems are solved. Immediately after reading your post, I put the car up on the rhinoramps, enjoyed the sun, slipped some hose behind the springs, and voila, no more rattling. Thanks again.

:cheers:
Old 07-20-2002, 05:55 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

that has been a problem since 97. i chased it for 6 months before i found it back then. i should have posted about my find and saved you a lot of trouble. :chevy
Old 07-20-2002, 06:38 PM
John Frank
Instructor

KP, Have you found a thread anywhere on the forum about the tunnel noise on 6spd C5's at take off? My 99' does it and it sounds like tranny at times. I'll call it the "marbles on tin sound". Car runs great........just this hideous noise ...........it's even pointed out to each owner in the video we got with our new car.

Just wondering if that one has come your way.........since you are the forum expert on de-rattling !! let me knowKP :)
Old 07-20-2002, 07:08 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Found my exhaust rattle - except it wasnt the exhaust :/ (John Frank)

Hi John,

It most likely is the trans. I had two new 6speed LS1 Camaros and they both did it. Its a common problem as reported on many forums, its when you get the clutch out pretty fast and accellerate slowly - almost sounds like gears grinding. I just got used to it. I forget exactly what causes it, I would guess something is unloaded in there and rattling, I have not had one of the newer 6 speeds apart yet..
Old 07-20-2002, 07:09 PM
rrobert22
Melting Slicks

There is not much more annoying than an unidentified rattle, and not much more satisfying than finding and fixing it, congrats :D :cheers:

John Frank: I am not a six speed expert, but i believe that is a lovely feature of the MN6, and you will not be able to fix it. Another good reason to go with the A4 :D :yesnod: :lol:

[Modified by rrobert22, 5:12 PM 7/20/2002]
Old 07-20-2002, 07:11 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Found my exhaust rattle - except it wasnt the exhaust :/ (clem zahrobsky)

that has been a problem since 97. i chased it for 6 months before i found it back then. i should have posted about my find and saved you a lot of trouble. :chevy
I figured I wasnt the only one who came up with it, I guess most cars arent that bad but mine was too loud for me. I would also hear it when closing the car door sometimes, didnt sound like a 'world class car' noise :)
Old 07-20-2002, 08:24 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

:cheers: Good tip. Cheap fix. Thanks. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Found my exhaust rattle - except it wasnt the exhaust :/

Quick Reply: Found my exhaust rattle - except it wasnt the exhaust :/