C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of the push button on the hazard-safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Cockrobin
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of the push button on the hazard-safety switch

On my 2002 C5 Corvette, I need to know how to remove the push button from the hazard-safety switch located to the right of the center A/C vent. I was told this part is no longer serviced by GM and I do not want to damage it. I was told it has two tabs, but I don't know where they are located on the push button. Can any anyone help?
Old 05-12-2014, 03:14 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 471 Likes on 355 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Remove the dash. Remove the vent assembly from the dash. Remove the hazard switch from the vent assembly.

Good luck.

There very well may be a way to remove the push button part without removing the dash, but I don't know.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:34 PM
EJSULTRA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default switch

If You pull the speedometer out you can get your hand on the switch. The switch goes in the side of the a/c vent housing from the back & that's where the clips are.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:43 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 998 Likes on 632 Posts

In the diy sticky at the top of the tech page post #135 diy with pics
Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 AM
GeneT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cockrobin
On my 2002 C5 Corvette, I need to know how to remove the push button from the hazard-safety switch located to the right of the center A/C vent. I was told this part is no longer serviced by GM and I do not want to damage it. I was told it has two tabs, but I don't know where they are located on the push button. Can any anyone help?
Do you mean the entire hazard switch, or, just the black cover for the hazard switch ?

Last edited by GeneT; 05-13-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-15-2014, 02:14 AM
Cockrobin
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GeneT
Do you mean the entire hazard switch, or, just the black cover for the hazard switch ?
I am going to replace the hazard switch and need to remove the switch cover or pushbutton cover, before removing the switch. I am in the process of removing the radio and have found I am unable to located the locking tabs on the radio plugs, as well. Although I am able to see the plugs, I do not see the locking tabs on the plugs. I seriously need help!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:25 AM
GeneT
Racer

I am going to replace the hazard switch and need to remove the switch cover or pushbutton cover, before removing the switch. I am in the process of removing the radio and have found I am unable to located the locking tabs on the radio plugs, as well. Although I am able to see the plugs, I do not see the locking tabs on the plugs. I seriously need help!
I used a curved dental pic to remove the black cap. But, that doesn't give you access to the tabs. I tried the "drill a hole and squirt contact cleaner in" method, but it only worked for a short time. There are several threads about the locking tabs.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Cockrobin
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GeneT
I used a curved dental pic to remove the black cap. But, that doesn't give you access to the tabs. I tried the "drill a hole and squirt contact cleaner in" method, but it only worked for a short time. There are several threads about the locking tabs.
Gene T. How can I find these threads on locking tabs?
Old 05-15-2014, 05:53 PM
GeneT
Racer

Gene T. How can I find these threads on locking tabs?
There is one thread on the "Sticky Notes" at the top of this forum, plus
here is another

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...l-problem.html

You can use the "search" feature in the forum, as well as using google or yahoo search. I find more threads using search engines than i do using the forum search. In this forum, click on "search this forum" and then type "hazard locking tabs" AND ENTER. You will find many threads on hazard switch replacement.

I've read several threads in the last 6 mo. about the locking tabs.

Do you have an extended warranty ?

Last edited by GeneT; 05-15-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: add

Get notified of new replies

To Removal of the push button on the hazard-safety switch

Quick Reply: Removal of the push button on the hazard-safety switch