C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Bosch SR8581N Starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:38 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default [ANSWERED] Help with Bosch SR8581N Starter

I'm swapping my starter today and so far the job has been pretty straightforward. I'm trying to fit the new Bosch starter, and there's a boss on the block that's really in the way - it looks to me like that was the reason for the old design...to slip in on top of that boss.

Can someone who has ACTUALLY DONE this replacement provide some guidance here? I'm heading back out to try a few more things, but it's not obvious to me how it's going to fit.

THANKS!

[EDIT]: The solution is to loosen the dust shield on the trans housing - it's beefier than it looks, but once it's out of the way the starter slips right in. One frustration - the new, longer bolt is a different size...you'd think they could have made it 13mm like the original one...

Last edited by billla; 05-18-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:05 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Did u have to drop exhaust and if so one side or both. Thanks
Old 05-18-2014, 09:39 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Did u have to drop exhaust and if so one side or both. Thanks
The exhaust is a single unit - so the center unit from the manifolds to the mufflers needs to come out. No big deal - key is having something to support the exhaust; I used a transmission jack.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:32 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Is that the new starter that uses the same size bolts?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:05 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I read a thread some time back that a forum member said he changed his starter without dropping the exhaust. He said it was tight and he had to wiggle it around until it dropped out. Do U think it is do-able without dropping exhaust? Thanks

Last edited by bjones7131; 05-19-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:44 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by baxsom
Is that the new starter that uses the same size bolts?
Yes; the mounting boss is much stronger on the block side. That bigger boss was what gave me some fits until I loosened the dust shield.

Originally Posted by bjones7131
I read a thread some time back that a forum member said he changed his starter without dropping the exhaust. He said it was tight and he had to wiggle it around until it dropped out. Do U think it is do-able without dropping exhaust? Thanks
I personally don't see how...but there are a lot of smart wrenches out there. I'd like to see some pics on how it was done.

It wasn't that big of a deal to drop the exhaust. The biggest need was just for a means to support, lower and raise the exhaust - I used a transmission jack. I hit all the bolts with PB, waited an hour, then pulled them all off with no issues. The oxy sensors were also a bit of a PITA, but no big deal. I was able to reuse the gaskets. Overall nothing difficult, just solid mechanics work.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:56 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

A couple of folks asked about the use of a trans jack to support the exhaust - here's a picture. I should have taken more and posted a FAQ
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2014, 01:21 PM
TUF-NUF
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: kent ct - "if i'm not in the vette, i damn well better be on the yacht."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by billla
I'm swapping my starter today and so far the job has been pretty straightforward. I'm trying to fit the new Bosch starter, and there's a boss on the block that's really in the way - it looks to me like that was the reason for the old design...to slip in on top of that boss.

Can someone who has ACTUALLY DONE this replacement provide some guidance here? I'm heading back out to try a few more things, but it's not obvious to me how it's going to fit.

THANKS!

[EDIT]: The solution is to loosen the dust shield on the trans housing - it's beefier than it looks, but once it's out of the way the starter slips right in. One frustration - the new, longer bolt is a different size...you'd think they could have made it 13mm like the original one...
were you able to reuse the dust cover? did you have to cut it?? I am in the middle of the same upgrade. with headers. tough working in that space. dropped the right header, but it won't go all the way down and can't lift it up and out either, so wrestling around it...did you have to grind anything?? thanks... Dave
Old 05-27-2014, 05:10 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by TUF-NUF
were you able to reuse the dust cover? did you have to cut it?? I am in the middle of the same upgrade. with headers. tough working in that space. dropped the right header, but it won't go all the way down and can't lift it up and out either, so wrestling around it...did you have to grind anything?? thanks... Dave
I was able to just loosen (not remove) the dust cover enough to slide it back and allow the nose of the starter to go into the bellhousing. No cutting, no grinding - just a little maneuvering.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:23 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I was able to just loosen (not remove) the dust cover enough to slide it back and allow the nose of the starter to go into the bellhousing. No cutting, no grinding - just a little maneuvering.
Just got mine installed last week. Working fine.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:59 PM
TUF-NUF
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: kent ct - "if i'm not in the vette, i damn well better be on the yacht."
St. Jude Donor '13

thanks for the info.... tomorrow I'll finish the install...
The following users liked this post:
LeoLivinLife (07-23-2020)
Old 07-29-2021, 12:49 AM
y0ung TcHalla
Heel & Toe

I am doing this now and having that same issue how did you loosen the dust cover ?

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Bosch SR8581N Starter

Quick Reply: Help with Bosch SR8581N Starter