C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drl issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:56 PM
Raistlin77
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drl issues

Looking for some help regarding my issue of the drl. I need to get my day time running lights running for a safety inspection. I don't seem to have power at my A2 fuse when I check it with my meter( engine bay fuse box). I found a on line schematic and it shows that it should be always powered. I can't find any other info regarding the power distribution on this fuse. Any help would be great regarding this issue. Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2014, 08:05 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You are correct, the fuse should have power at ALL times. If you are correctly verifying for voltage at the "B" side of the fuse then there is some issue in the fuse box.

If there is not an issue with the "A" side circuit of the fuse then I have temp suggestion to get you thru the inspection.

I would install a Fuse Adapter or equal into that fuse location and run power to it. Normally you use one to feed power "OUT" to something else. In this case you would feed power "IN". Here is a link to what they look like. If you have any questions about this fix or how to address the ultimate solution, please just PM me with your phone number.

Amazon Amazon

PS: You can get these at most auto stores.

Last edited by dadaroo; 06-17-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Raistlin77
Heel & Toe

We'll I found the issue to be a bad connection with the fuse lol. Now I still don't have any drl. Trying to check to see if my mini relays are good. But I am having troubles pulling the damn things out. Is there a trick or do you just yank the buggers out? Any help guys is greatly appreciated. Trying to get this car safetied. Thanks
Old 06-17-2014, 08:57 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Removing relays can be a PITA. I remove what I can around them so I can get as good a grip as I can. Just rock in all directions and pull, then do it all over again and again. They will come out. Just don't damage the fuse block connections. If the relays are good then pull your codes and post.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

PS: Your problem could be the ambient light sensor. I am looking for what would cause both lights to not work. Could be the BCM but I hope not.

If you have Twilight Sentinel, I would turn it on and see if the headlights come on automatically or not. Just make sure it is dark enough to activate.

Last edited by dadaroo; 06-17-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Raistlin77
Heel & Toe

I tried my remote and found that dlr comes on with approach feature enabled but not the rear back up lights. So it looks like my dlr relays 38 & 40 are working. Going to check back up relay soon. Also noticed twighlight sentinel is not working as we'll. lol
Old 06-17-2014, 05:59 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Are you the original owner?
Old 06-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Raistlin77
Heel & Toe

No I just bought it a week ago and was waiting on tires. I noticed it just last night. I bought the car as is and pulled the codes. None were found and it still doesn't show any so this kinda sucks.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:22 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Raistlin77
No I just bought it a week ago and was waiting on tires. I noticed it just last night. I bought the car as is and pulled the codes. None were found and it still doesn't show any so this kinda sucks.
You didn't say if this is a "Canadian spec" (meaning export) car either, but it's also possible the PO made some "mods". Such are the vagaries of buying second/third hand.

On my car I made the "DRL mod", as I wanted to turn off my DRLs and have everything else function normally and also not have any codes, etc. Search DRL mod. It's fairly easy to do and also to undo, but you have to pull both DRL relays.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Raistlin77
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Are you the original owner?
No I am not
Old 06-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Raistlin77
Heel & Toe

We'll it looks like my bcm is acting up. Tested all the relays involved and everything checks out ok. I think I will just make up my own driving lights with some relays to pass the safety. Thanks again guys.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:41 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I would think if the light sensor had failed open or shorted it would give you a code, there are 2. Since the DRLs don't work in the daylight, and the TS does not work in the dark, I do not think the sensor is the problem.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Raistlin77
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I would think if the light sensor had failed open or shorted it would give you a code, there are 2. Since the DRLs don't work in the daylight, and the TS does not work in the dark, I do not think the sensor is the problem.
Agreed. With both features not working it leaves me believe it's the main bcm control. Too much of a headache to get a new one and have a dealer reprogram it to my rpo's. I am going to modify it this weekend to pass my inspection
Old 07-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Raistlin77
Heel & Toe

Update: car is now on the road. But! I came across a electrical schematic that shows a DRL module in cdn cars. Does anyone know where I could start looking for this module? Don't want to start taking apart my dash if it's not there. I have attached the schematic.
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2014, 10:58 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

This might help. It is domestic.
2000 Chevrolet Corvette V8-5.7L VIN G
Vehicle » Lighting and Horns » Daytime Running Lamp » Description and Operation
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
The Body Control Module (BCM) controls DRL operation using the ambient light sensor, ignition switch, and parking brake switch inputs. When the ambient light sensor input to the BCM indicates daylight conditions, the ignition is ON, and the parking brake is released the DRL R and DRL L relays are energized.

The switch and coil sides of the DRL relays are supplied battery positive voltage through circuit 2740. The BCM energizes the DRL relays by providing ground through the DRL relay control circuits 1966 and 1976. When the DRL relays are energized battery positive voltage through circuit 2740 is supplied to the front turn signal lamp feed circuits 1314 and 1315.

The BCM receives inputs from the turn signal switch and the hazard warning switch through the front turn signal monitor circuits 14 and 15. When the BCM receives a voltage signal from the electronic flasher through the left and or the right turn signal monitor circuits, the BCM de-energizes the appropriate DRL relay or relays until the turn signal switch has returned to the neutral position or the hazard warning switch is turned off. The de-energized DRL relay or relays allow normal front turn signal or hazard warning lamp operation.

When the ambient light sensor to the BCM indicates low light conditions the DRL R and DRL L relays are de-energized and the ALC HDLP and ALC PK LP relays are energized. The ALC relays are supplied battery positive voltage through the same circuits which supply voltage to the headlamp switch for manual headlamp and parklamp operation. The ALC relays are energized by the BCM by grounding the ALC relay control circuits 999 and 1784. When the ALC relays are energized, battery positive voltage is supplied to the headlamp dimmer switch and parklamp feed circuit bypassing the headlamp and parklamp ON/OFF switches.

The way the schematic look and the above reads, the turn signals not working at night should not be related to no drl's. The Bcm watches for turn signal input and turns off the appropriate relay to allow the front blinkers to function with the drls activated.
Do the front turn signals work during the day? It seems to me, if they are, it's the parking lamp filament lighting. That's why they don't work at night. You should pull the front light sockets and look for non factory splices. Also check the bulbs and sockets.
Get a test light and verify what's getting powered with the blinkers and parking lamps.
I bet you find your problem

Last edited by martysauto; 07-05-2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-05-2014, 11:14 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

What year is the car? I believe early cars had a DRL module and later cars the DRL was part of the BCM.

As for the twilight sentinel - I once looked for the schematic that shows the wiring/relays that turn-on the headlights in the service manual and simply could not find it. The only headlight wiring I found was direct from the headlight switch.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:20 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

In my 2001 FSM the design shows the same for Domestic and Export with regard to the Twilight Sentinel circuit wiring. Given low light, the BCM will power the relay 44 coil which in turn provides power the MF switch and powers the headlights. The design is such that the MF switch can be in the headlights OFF position and this will still happen.
Can post the schematic if needed.

If the OP has a Canadian DRL module I would think it is near the I/P fuse box and BCM. Probably looks like a smaller door control module.

Get notified of new replies

To Drl issues

Old 07-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Raistlin77
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the input guys. Regarding Marty's question if the turn signal works. They work like normal day or night and I can turn on my headlamps with no issues with the multi switch. My DIC shows no issues or history of issues. It just seems weird to me that both the auto headlights and DRL are not working. It's not a big issue since I was able to pass inspection but, it's always in the back of my mind.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:07 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I'll ask these questions again. What year and is it a Canadian car or an import? Both matter to get the correct information.

The DRL module is used in the early Canadian cars. The service manual shows it under the drivers knee booster attached onto the side of the center console frame. A little box with 2 x8-pin connectors. I think you can see a bit of it just above the aluminum bracket in this picture.

Originally Posted by dadaroo
In my 2001 FSM the design shows the same for Domestic and Export with regard to the Twilight Sentinel circuit wiring. Given low light, the BCM will power the relay 44 coil which in turn provides power the MF switch and powers the headlights. The design is such that the MF switch can be in the headlights OFF position and this will still happen.
Can post the schematic if needed.

If the OP has a Canadian DRL module I would think it is near the I/P fuse box and BCM. Probably looks like a smaller door control module.

Here's the schematic for the headlights for a 98. There is no connection shown feeding into the headlight or tail light circuit besides the headlight switch.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Raistlin77
Heel & Toe

It's a 2000 cdn c5. I know this for sure. Cheers

Quick Reply: Drl issues