C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie confused....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 04:28 PM
porterhouse
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie confused....

Please take it easy on me. Im wantingto add exhaust and Intake only to my c5 z06. Is it possible without a tune? Also after hours of reading is a intake even worth the money? Ive read zero gains to 30 hp... Thx for your time
Old 08-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If by exhaust you mean headers, then you will pick up some good hp. If you are just installing a cat back, then don't expect much more than a good sound, especially since the Z06 has a good exhaust already.
Since you have a Z06, you have an intake good up to 450+rwhp, so I assume you are referring to an "air filter". If you get a CIA like a vararam, you will legitimately see a performance increase (although nothing will show on the dyno)
In regards to needing a tune, NO, you don't NEED a tune. The addition of headers (?) and a CAI do not change the engines breathing ability enough to make you NEED a tune. Will a tune help performance? Yes, any time you set your car's timing and afr to maximum efficiency, you will pick up some power. You generally will get more performance gain from a tune from an auto than a manual, but any bit helps
If it were me (its not ) with it being a manual, I would wait until I made some major change to airflow (cam/heads) to get a tune.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:47 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

You don't have to tune it after you do intake, and exhaust mods, but it'll perform better. A Vararam is my favorite intake, but it's gains over just an oversize bare filter, like a K&N, or Blackwing, are minimal, in normal driving.
1.75" headers are appropriate for a stock cubed car, and I prefer quality stainless steel myself. Lots of header manufacturers, but check their quality first, IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To newbie confused....

Quick Reply: newbie confused....