C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leftover bolts...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 03:04 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Leftover bolts...

I've got "spare parts" from the engine compartment and need help figuring out where they go. I haven't put everything back together yet, so I may end up finding out on my own, but I thought I'd get a head start in case it's not obvious when I'm done. The big bolt was in my baggie of header bolts and the short little one with the allen head was sitting on the shelf with the other parts. I pulled my headers, intake manifold, throttle body, intake, and oil dipstick from under the hood during the course of my trans and clutch swap, just for reference.

Pics of bolts:

Couple teardown pics:

Last edited by rjwz28; 03-22-2015 at 03:27 AM. Reason: posted same pic twice
Old 03-22-2015, 03:16 AM
mathia
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure the big bolt holds the oil dip stick to the cylinder head. The allen bolt isn't GM and I'm pretty sure it's from the FAST intake.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:25 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mathia
I'm pretty sure the big bolt holds the oil dip stick to the cylinder head. The allen bolt isn't GM and I'm pretty sure it's from the FAST intake.
I was hoping that the big bolt was for the dipstick, since I believe I removed that with the headers. I haven't had time to check yet. Thanks!

I forgot to mention that the allen bolt is the same thread and head size as the FAST bolts, so it's probably something for the manifold or throttle body, but I can't see anything missing yet and won't get to the manifold tonight
Old 03-22-2015, 09:32 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Aren't you supposed to have left overs when you do a project?
Old 03-22-2015, 11:10 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Yes, it makes the car lighter and it goes faster.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:49 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Aren't you supposed to have left overs when you do a project?
Originally Posted by dadaroo
Yes, it makes the car lighter and it goes faster.

The stupid part is that I bagged everything and labeled it all, and put all the FAST bolts either in a baggie or in their place on the intake on the shelf, and I can't figure out where that little one came from
Old 03-23-2015, 09:47 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Murphy never sleeps.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:25 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Murphy never sleeps.
No kidding
Old 03-24-2015, 12:35 PM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This definitely doesn't make me feel too confident about putting my Z back together! I tagged and bagged all the bolts (including writing down the wrench sizes for all) and all the little coolant plugs and pipes and hoses. I sure hope I don't end up with any extras after the rebuild! I was in the same boat when I did a thermostat replacement on my mom's Cooper S. I finished and had one extra bolt. Turned out to be a wiring bracket, conveniently located under EVERYTHING! No biggies though.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:20 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LiteraCola
This definitely doesn't make me feel too confident about putting my Z back together! I tagged and bagged all the bolts (including writing down the wrench sizes for all) and all the little coolant plugs and pipes and hoses. I sure hope I don't end up with any extras after the rebuild! I was in the same boat when I did a thermostat replacement on my mom's Cooper S. I finished and had one extra bolt. Turned out to be a wiring bracket, conveniently located under EVERYTHING! No biggies though.

It's the same exact bolt as all the FAST hardware but a different length, so at least I know it doesn't go on anything below that

The thing that's making me worry is the fact that I did all this to replace my clutch, and lately there have been an uncomfortable number of clutch installation mistake threads

Get notified of new replies

To Leftover bolts...

Quick Reply: Leftover bolts...