C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes, Another Key FOB thread!

Old 08-02-2015, 08:44 AM
JMelton
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes, Another Key FOB thread!

Before anyone starts throwing flames, hear me out.

When we bought our 2000, it only came with one Key FOB which the PO said didn't work.

Changed the battery in the FOB and tried it, nothing. Tried to Relearn the FOB, the car says it learns it, and it will lock and unlock the car for a short time (less than a minute), then it quits working again. You can Re-Sync the FOB, and it will work for a little bit, then quits working again.

After reading some Forum threads on it, I've taken the FOB apart and tried re-soldering the connections on the board, and I get the same results as above.

You can re-sync it, and it will work for a very short time, then nothing again.

Has anyone else had this problem? if so, what did you do to fix the problem? Is there a module in the car that has an issue?

Side note: RFA Module is reporting NO CODES on DIC.

Last edited by JMelton; 08-02-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:16 PM
itsslo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Your symptoms are those of bad/cold solder joints on the FOB board. They have been posted hundreds of times for the early year FOB's. Early year FOB's were junk.

If your re-solder efforts didn't correct all the problems then you will need to try the re-solder again or get a new FOB. An alternative is to upgrade the FOB and related components to the later year FOB's but that is not inexpensive.
This this and this.

I went into mine and touched up anything that appeared to have power from the battery, has worked flawless since.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yes, Another Key FOB thread!