C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 seat rocks up and down (Not front to back)- how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 10:42 AM
Tim1137
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 seat rocks up and down (Not front to back)- how to fix?

My corvette seats in my car were SUPER sloppy, so I performed the rocking seat fix according to Liebelweb. I used Nylon washers, and there is zero play, and the seat doesn't move front to back at all.

However, my driver seat still rocks up and down. For example, when I accelerate hard, the seat bottom rocks upwards, and then the seatback reclines backwards over an inch. It is super annoying, and makes it very uncomfortable to drive the car hard.

Here is what I mean:

Normal rocking seat (I've already fixed this)

My up and down rocking seat

Now I know the seatback itself has some play which is considered normal, but this problem, is the whole seat assembly rocking upwards than back. Almost like the rear section of the rails were on a hinge.

Anyone experienced this or have any idea the fix?
Old 12-24-2015, 01:47 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

C5 Corvette Seat Track Repair Shim Kit
1997-2004 C5 Corvette Seat Track Repair Shim Kit southerncarparts's Profile

Does your C5 Corvette seat "rock"? Isn't that annoying? This easy to install seat track repair shim kit will take care of that rocking forever! Simply install these four self lubricating shims to eliminate the rock once and for all. These new shims will replace the old wore out shims.

This kit includes four self lubricating shims, and two allen wrenches that are used to repair your seat track. This kit includes everything needed to stop the rock.

hope this helps
mike v

Last edited by mike venth; 12-24-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:27 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

From what you are describing the front or rear seat tilt mechanism has some slop in it. I have looked at this a bit since mine is doing the same. As I understand currently there are no repair parts for this. The whole motorized base would need to be replaced.

Gary
Old 12-25-2015, 12:16 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I did my shims also and I get some of that tilting you're having. I think the pivot points are wearing out. It may be possible to swap seat bottom frames but it may require some disassembly or slight mods. It's been awhile since I had these apart. Something to maybe consider. Maybe someone else can chime in here. It may require taking them out to look.

Last edited by MrRenoman; 12-25-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:08 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

I've read that besides the problem with the shims, there is also the possibility of 1 or 2 flanges at the rear of the seat track being bent or broken. I don't know exactly what are the symptoms when the flange(s) are bad (probably some kind of additional play, like some people are reporting), but it is something worth checking.

This video explains in a very detailed way the replacement process of both, shims and flanges. It might give you the answer you're looking for
The following 2 users liked this post by GCG:
edsC5 (04-06-2016), F16 1UB (01-29-2016)
Old 12-26-2015, 01:31 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's another link to a video. About 6 minutes in it gets into taking apart the base. Although not exactly what may be your issue it does have some nice video of the base.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...4E605F264A6427
Old 12-26-2015, 07:00 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim1137
My corvette seats in my car were SUPER sloppy, so I performed the rocking seat fix according to Liebelweb. I used Nylon washers, and there is zero play, and the seat doesn't move front to back at all.

However, my driver seat still rocks up and down. For example, when I accelerate hard, the seat bottom rocks upwards, and then the seatback reclines backwards over an inch. It is super annoying, and makes it very uncomfortable to drive the car hard.

Here is what I mean:

Normal rocking seat (I've already fixed this)

My up and down rocking seat

Now I know the seatback itself has some play which is considered normal, but this problem, is the whole seat assembly rocking upwards than back. Almost like the rear section of the rails were on a hinge.

Anyone experienced this or have any idea the fix?

OP, your first picture is of a sliding seat. The second one is a rocking seat issue, Sounds like the typical rocking seat issue with broken flanges. The video he posted is where to look.

Mr. Sam
Old 12-26-2015, 08:03 AM
Tim1137
Intermediate

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at those videos. Looks like I'm taking the seat back out!
Old 12-26-2015, 11:41 AM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

While you have the driver's seat out, check for loose or missing bolts between the main seat upper frame (where you sit), the intermediate or transition frame, and the lower frame that has the motors and the front to back rails (where you replaced the shims). Just found a missing nut on one of the intermediate connections which made the seat feel like the front mounting bolts were loose and allowing the front of the seat to lift off a little bit. (I should have taken pictures.)
The following users liked this post:
Exact1 (04-27-2019)
Old 12-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Tim1137
Intermediate

I found my problem. I took the seat out.. I had a broken bracket... HOWEVER... its not the bracket that usually breaks that they make replacements for. Mine was a smaller bracket up front that cracked. I didn't even have to take the seat cushion off, I just welded it right there with the seat out. Easy fix... lets hope it lasts
Old 12-29-2015, 10:35 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Excellent and thanks for the update.

Mr. Sam
Old 01-19-2016, 05:37 PM
ponygt65
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Seat Rock

Originally Posted by Tim1137
I found my problem. I took the seat out.. I had a broken bracket... HOWEVER... its not the bracket that usually breaks that they make replacements for. Mine was a smaller bracket up front that cracked. I didn't even have to take the seat cushion off, I just welded it right there with the seat out. Easy fix... lets hope it lasts
Thank you for the update; I fixed the seat rock issue (front to back) with the shim kit and it worked like a charm. Of course now that this is repaired I encountered the seat rock (up and down) issue.

I will remove the seat again, getting good at it and inspect it. You guys are top notch!

Joe
Old 01-21-2016, 01:02 PM
Tim1137
Intermediate

My weld already broke... so back out it comes, to either fab some support brackets for that area, or to find a used seat frame to replace it with....
Old 01-21-2016, 06:00 PM
Guam135i
Advanced

I just did my seat and as you can see the seat frame is not top notch quality. Look at the way they welded and put together the corners in the front. Using a used seat frame would also break in the same area. If I were you I would weld and reinforce your original one. Just my 0.02 cents, Good Luck
Old 01-22-2016, 12:27 AM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Tim1137, Can you post a picture of which bracket broke. Curious as to which one is the issue in your case.

Gary
Old 01-28-2016, 08:03 PM
James2000
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok guys I got the same issue, pic #2 the rocking not the sliding. I replaced the 4 plastic/nylon bushings on the threaded rods and it did not fix the rocking and popping sound coming from the front part of the seat near the seat controls. The old bushings were pretty worn so I'm glad I did them anyway. I checked the flange mounts like the guy replaced in the video while the seat was out and they were all good not even bent and I'm a big guy. I will pull the seat back out tomorrow and pull the seat cushion up and see if it is a loose nut or worn rivet or if something cracked. I have the sport seats and there is a little extra stuff on my seat than in the video, so to me that means more things to go wrong. If I, NO, when I find the problem I will take pics. If anyone on here is hesitant on doing the bushing replacement I did today, don't be. It was very easy, I never had a seat come out of a car so easy, plus mine is a convertible it was super easy and fast with the top down. Did the repair on my kitchen table/work bench while the wife was out. Haha.....
Old 01-28-2016, 08:49 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by James2000
...Did the repair on my kitchen table/work bench while the wife was out. Haha.....
Please, post your findings when you fix it.

Last edited by GCG; 01-28-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 seat rocks up and down (Not front to back)- how to fix?

Old 01-28-2016, 10:07 PM
James2000
Instructor

Default Pics......

Originally Posted by GCG
Please, post your findings when you fix it.
When I take the pics I'll try to take them in my kitchen. Lol
Old 01-29-2016, 04:46 PM
James2000
Instructor

i took a pic, look at my profile. I'm new to this posting pics, can't figure it out yet. I even took a video if you send me your email I will send it to u or whoever explaining the issue. The unit that I'm pointing to in the pic is cast aluminum and it has a hardend steel pin going through it. The the hole in the cast feels to have worn out causing movement. It's a about a 4hr job to fix, I'll need a day at my friends machine shop to fix it. I have to grind the rivets out that connect the bracket to the rail, put the aluminum piece on the mill bore the hole and make a thicker pin on the lathe, then tac the pin in or make it with a nut and bolt? and then weld the bracket to the rail, because I cannot duplicate the rivets used by GM and anything else would probably interfere with the threaded rod in the rail? I got to look at the bright side at least I have a place and acces to machines to do this............
Old 01-29-2016, 04:48 PM
James2000
Instructor

Pics and video are done on kitchen table with the wife holding the iPad. Lol.....

Quick Reply: C5 seat rocks up and down (Not front to back)- how to fix?