C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 09:38 AM
-Y-
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radio Wiring

Getting ready to install a Jensen VX7012 in my 2000 coupe and the lack of documentation is disturbing... for the most part it seems pretty straight forward but I have a question about connecting the XSVI-2004 to the H/U. "Connect the red wire to the ignition wire of the aftermarket radio"... seems easy enough unless there are 2 red wires on the XSVI. Where does the second red wire connect? Is there a wire that I need to run over to the ignition?

Old 12-26-2015, 11:22 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

OK, looked at the Jenson wiring on their website. They show an 11 wire connector that they provide there has only one Red wire for ignition controlled power.

Looks like you are showing us an interface harness that is supposed to tie into the OEM harness and then plugs/connected into the Jenson.

Am I correct?

If so it appears it has two Red wires of which only one is used for the Jenson. If it were me, I would plug the interface harness into the OEM harness without the Jenson connected first.

Then turn use a voltmeter (or probe light) and see which one gets powered when the ignition is turned ON.

That would be the one to connect to the one Red wire provided by Jenson.

Let me know and we can go from there. There is another option for providing power that is only hot in ACC and ON in the passenger foot well.

Mr. Sam

Last edited by dadaroo; 12-26-2015 at 11:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
-Y- (12-27-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 12:41 PM
-Y-
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo

Looks like you are showing us an interface harness that is supposed to tie into the OEM harness and then plugs/connected into the Jenson.

Am I correct?

If so it appears it has two Red wires of which only one is used for the Jenson. If it were me, I would plug the interface harness into the OEM harness without the Jenson connected first.

Then turn use a voltmeter (or probe light) and see which one gets powered when the ignition is turned ON.

That would be the one to connect to the one Red wire provided by Jenson.

Mr. Sam
Yes, that is correct. I'll start pulling the console out tomorrow and test the red wires with a voltmeter.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:20 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

Search the audio forum, there are lots of threads about this subject. I posted a detailed write-up a couple of years ago with pix on how install the XSVI.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:44 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by -Y-
Getting ready to install a Jensen VX7012 in my 2000 coupe and the lack of documentation is disturbing... for the most part it seems pretty straight forward but I have a question about connecting the XSVI-2004 to the H/U. "Connect the red wire to the ignition wire of the aftermarket radio"... seems easy enough unless there are 2 red wires on the XSVI. Where does the second red wire connect? Is there a wire that I need to run over to the ignition?

This is interesting. There seems to be at lest 2 versions of the same XSVI-2004:
  1. Silver Bose Interface with big blueish "AXXESS" sticker on Chime/Data Module and 5 cables coming out of module (Pink, Black Yellow, Orange/White and Red)
  2. Black Bose Interface with black Chime/Data Module and 6 cables coming out of module (Pink, Black Yellow, Orange/White and 2 Reds) - (Like yours)

As you said, the instructions don't mention the 2 red cables, just one, but the included picture shows them!!!

On the other hand, the picture in Crutchfield website shows an XSVI-2004 with a black Bose Interface and black Chime/Data Module that only has 5 cables coming out of its module... so perhaps there are 3 versions of the same device

The first one I listed above was the one used by jcgunn in his installation here.

Could it be that both red cables are crimped to the same connector's pin from the Chime/Data Module in order to facilitate providing switched power to 2 devices?
The following users liked this post:
-Y- (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 03:08 PM
-Y-
Instructor

Originally Posted by GCG
Could it be that both red cables are crimped to the same connector's pin from the Chime/Data Module in order to facilitate providing switched power to 2 devices? ...
This appears to be the case as both red wires have power.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:18 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

From my experience from adding aftermarket stereos or amps on a Bose system is that it will NEVER work correctly or at full power as long as you use the Bose system--I tried all the aftermarket products that claim they are "Bose Compatible" none of them worked
I finally added a Sony Explod receiver --removed all the Bose speakers front and rear- as well as the front amp under the dash-- and was able to add an Explod amp--and cap----Door speakers were replaced with conventional speakers as were the rear 1/4 panel speakers--I installed a 10" sun woferth enclosure in the back specifically designed to fit into a C5---
Ended up with a super stereo that POUNDS----
I sold all the Bose stuff on Ebay for about $600 and the final cost of everything was less than $300---
Sony Explod is only a mid priced system that works great--If you wanted to go to something more advanced again you will never still get full power using the Bose rear amp and the Bose Front speaker/amp combination
Old 12-28-2015, 06:08 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by -Y-
This appears to be the case as both red wires have power.
Has power all the time or just in ACC or ON?
Old 12-28-2015, 08:16 PM
-Y-
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Has power all the time or just in ACC or ON?
Both have power in the ON position.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:33 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

If you need power with ACC or ON try this. Yellow wire or Fuse 11 with a fuse adapter.

1997-2003

In the passenger foot well there should be 3 auxiliary power wires.

Orange wire taped off. Always powered from Fuse #7 (20 Amp). This Fuse is shared with the cigarette lighter.

Orange wire to a connector. Always powered from Fuse #1 (20 Amp). Fuse is shared with the accessory power port in the center console.

Yellow wire taped off. Powered from ignition switch when in "ACC or On". Powered from Fuse #11 (20 Amp). Not shared with anything.

Here is a link with more info and pictures:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=14632

Mr. Sam

Get notified of new replies

To Radio Wiring

Quick Reply: Radio Wiring