C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Guage needles...just installed white faced gauges

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 05:17 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Help with Guage needles...just installed white faced gauges

Just put in white faced gauges and apparently bought the cheap kit ($38). I had to remove the needles to put it on...when putting them back on, I'm not sure how to reconfigure them. I've got them where they all look right at startup (8-9 o'clock), and they all return there if moved higher, like normal. However, they don't go all the way up (ie, only to 5k rpm, 160mph, etc)...
What do I need to do to configure these properly...?
Thanks,
Josh
Old 08-29-2002, 05:19 PM
TopDog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help with Guage needles...just installed white faced gauges (PaceThis)

Any instructions on how to take out the cluster and then take it apart?
Old 08-29-2002, 05:40 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Default Re: Help with Guage needles...just installed white faced gauges (TopDog)

That's the easy part...do a search and you'll find one (search white face). I think Vetteessentials also has instructions for their trim ring (very good instructions)...
Old 08-29-2002, 06:19 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06
Default Re: Help with Guage needles...just installed white faced gauges (PaceThis)

PaceThis,

The C5/Z06 guage cluster needles are NOT supposed to be removed. The C5's cluster gets thrown off badly anytime the needles are removed and this should be avoided at all costs.

We have heard a lot of permanent damage occuring when the needles are removed from the Corvette clusters.

Shawn

Old 08-29-2002, 09:17 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Help with Guage needles...just installed white faced gauges (L.A.P.D.)

which "cheap" white face gauges did you buy?

If you bought the indiglo gauges (they can be changed from green to blue), the needles do not need to be removed! :eek:
Old 08-29-2002, 09:57 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Default Re: Help with Guage needles...just installed white faced gauges (RPOZ4Z)

it was the indiglo set, but the directions specifically called to remove them...and they didn't have the spacing cutout required to go on without the needles removed...has no one figured how to recalibrate if they came off?
Old 08-29-2002, 10:25 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

I don't think anybody has been brave enough (up until now) to buy the ones you bought! :D

I paid $45.00 for the ones with the Z06 type lettering.
only to sell them with my old cluster when I upgraded to HUD.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:45 PM
99NassauVette
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Help with Guage needles...just installed white faced gauges (RPOZ4Z)

If ya dont mind me asking where can you get the guages with the z06 styling? I have been looking for them!:)
Old 08-29-2002, 10:55 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Help with Guage needles...just installed white faced gauges (99NassauVette)

Uh Ohh! :nonod: You are going to have a time trying to get them back to normal.

Even though it says to remove the needles you do not have to. Trust me, they will go on. It looks like they will not but you have to tuck the plastic under the gauge needle and then slip them on. IM or email me for my phone # and I will walk you through it.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:00 AM
PaceThis
Race Director

Default Re: Help with Guage needles...just installed white faced gauges (C5-VERT)

I've got the gauge faces on...you don't happen to know how to recalibrate the needles do you?
Old 08-30-2002, 12:17 AM
KylePatrick
Instructor

Josh,
I might be able to swing an extra cluster face with virgin needles w/out the electronics, if you don't get this figured out and you can start over :)

Kyle
Old 08-30-2002, 10:59 AM
vanroth
Intermediate

Pacethis,

I have done a gauge face change on my Miata that required taking the needles off. The first thing to do it warm the car up to the proper temps and take a photo of the needles in their original position... Of course hindsight is 20/20 right ;)

Anyhow, what you will need to do, is leave the cluster open and start your car. Let it warm up to operating temp and either use another vette as reference or use your memory (I know my fades time to time). And then very LIGHTLY press the needles on in the correct position. You don't have to put them all the way on until you turn the car off... The hardest part of course will be the speedo... You could either use the cruise control as reference or have another vette pace you. Have a co-pilot press the needle on for you... It may take a few tries to get that one perfect. Filling your gas tank full will help getting that needle set where you want it as well. Hope this helps.

-vanroth

PS. If you need some help, I'm right by in Greensboro.

Old 08-30-2002, 12:53 PM
Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Help with Guage needles...just installed white faced gauges (vanroth)

DOH!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Hope it works out! :cheers:
Old 08-30-2002, 01:02 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Help with Guage needles...just installed white faced gauges (99NassauVette)

If ya dont mind me asking where can you get the guages with the z06 styling? I have been looking for them!:)

ebay :yesnod:
Old 08-30-2002, 05:34 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Default Re: Help with Guage needles...just installed white faced gauges (vanroth)

Pacethis,

I have done a gauge face change on my Miata that required taking the needles off. The first thing to do it warm the car up to the proper temps and take a photo of the needles in their original position... Of course hindsight is 20/20 right ;)

Anyhow, what you will need to do, is leave the cluster open and start your car. Let it warm up to operating temp and either use another vette as reference or use your memory (I know my fades time to time). And then very LIGHTLY press the needles on in the correct position. You don't have to put them all the way on until you turn the car off... The hardest part of course will be the speedo... You could either use the cruise control as reference or have another vette pace you. Have a co-pilot press the needle on for you... It may take a few tries to get that one perfect. Filling your gas tank full will help getting that needle set where you want it as well. Hope this helps.

-vanroth

PS. If you need some help, I'm right by in Greensboro.
I think this will do it...thanks a ton!

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Guage needles...just installed white faced gauges

Quick Reply: Help with Guage needles...just installed white faced gauges