C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil temp sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 02:05 AM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Default oil temp sensor replacement

are there any sensors that are compatible with the stock wiring/computer that have a 1/8 npt thread instead of the stock m12x1.5?

if i have to change the plug end that would be fine..... as it will work with the stock computer etc...

something like this possibly?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Water-T...FWKx0j&vxp=mtr

or this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Water-Oil-Te...dU0baP&vxp=mtr

Last edited by StealthFRC; 01-12-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:30 AM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

anyone?
Old 01-13-2016, 08:31 AM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

I take it your adding an oil cooler? Or using the improved racing adapter block??

If so their thermostatic block has a m12x1.5 provision. You can remove the thermostat if you don't want it.

Last edited by CamminC5; 01-13-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:27 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

correct but the thermostat block is to big and would be way to tight of a fit compared to the low profile block they sell. also the thermo block only has 1 port drilled for the stock sensor, it doesn't have one for a turbo feed so i would have to drill and tap that block aswel.

i may just order one of those temp sensors and see what happens in a cup of hot water or something....

Last edited by StealthFRC; 01-13-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:35 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

I asked them why they don't make a provision for the sensor. He couldn't give me a straight answer. Said he I drill it out, but there wouldn't be any meat left in the wall.

You could order 3 different fittings to make it work, but I'm not sure how close it end up being to the motor mount.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2016, 11:25 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

yea after looking at it drill/tap won't be an option. i also can't find adapters to even get it to work because of clearance issues. i would need a 1/8npt male to a m12x1.5 female 90 degree fitting and from what i can see no one makes it
Old 01-14-2016, 02:42 AM
Aprilia1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Oil temp sensor replacement...

Just went through this adapting a C6 Z06 oil cooler on the LQ9 408 I installed this week. I lost the provision for an oil temp sender mounted over the oil bypass. Found a new location and plug at the front of the block/drivers side on the same oil gallery as the bypass. Plug is just under the water temp sender and easily reached if alternator is removed. This location allows for the relocation of the sender if using an adapter.

Tried two Bosch brass sensor adapters by boring and tapping in the M12X1.5 size. The remaining wall thickness was too thin for this soft material and failed.

Regardless, a local hydraulics tubing shop gave me an M16 stainless plug which fits perfectly in the front oil gallery access. The plug has 22mm flats for the install. I used a 1/8" pilot bit, 27/64" bore bit, and M12X1.5 tap to make the adapter fit the oil temp sender threads and diameter. Yes, the adapter has a wall thickness of 1/16", but the material is much stronger than brass and tightened down with a crush washer to a leak tight fit.

Simply spliced in two wires to extend the lead and I now have a new location for the OEM oil temp sender. It worked very well today and perhaps it will for you too. Best of luck...

A1
Old 01-14-2016, 11:59 AM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

i appreciate the info, i did look at that galley plug but my car has a twin turbo kit on it and one of the intake pipes passes right in front of that plug so there wouldn't be enough clearance for the sensors.

i ordered a new sensor with 1/8npt thread. its a 2 wire sensor and from what I'm reading it works the same way as the stock sensor so there is a chance it might just be plug and play.

Last edited by StealthFRC; 01-14-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:52 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

well for anyone wondering i took a chance and ordered the following sensor... its available in a few different spots but this link is just an idea of what sensor it is, its not where i got it....

https://partsforspeed.com/home/gauge...n-1-8-npt.html

i just tested it out in the car. i plugged battery in turned car on with stock sensor and it was reading temp (sensor is not in car nor is car running.)
i then proceeded to unplug battery, take the zeitronix sensor and temp plug it in.... hook battery back up and it is also reading temp. i then just grab the sensor with my hand and it did infact react to the change in temp so it seem that it should work just fine...

the sensor is MUCH smaller then the stock sensor so clearance issues are no problem, its also 1/8NPT which makes it fit into most oil cooler blocks with no adapters etc....

here is the setup ill be running. I'm missing the spacer since its getting machined right now but ill have it soon... so ill have installed pics soon. it actually fits perfect with my TTIX kit and has the fittings pointed down towards the ground so clearance is no issue what so ever and none of the lines are near the turbo or downpipe.

also, as seen in the last picture the sensor is perfect length where the tip will be in the oil coming back from the oil cooler but its not to long and going to cause any issues with the flow.

Get notified of new replies

To oil temp sensor replacement

Quick Reply: oil temp sensor replacement