C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Telescoping Steering Column fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 06:43 PM
craig-o
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Telescoping Steering Column fault

Has anyone else run into this? I searched the forum and tried resetting the stops, but that didn't help.

I have a 2001, and the telescoping steering column works with routine entry and exit of the car (the memory holds, and it will move forward to exit, and back for the memory.) However, the switch itself will only cause the steering wheel to move forward (closer to the dash), but not move back.

It works fine, unless someone else drives the car and wants to move the steering wheel; then they can only adjust it towards the dash.

I haven't attempted to remove the switch or to check the wires yet, Thought I'd ask for help before I got into it. Any wisdom?
Old 01-12-2016, 11:03 PM
drtyTshrt
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try pulling the switch to move the wheel towards you and hold it in this position for a couple of seconds.

Do this 5 times holding the switch for a second or two each time.

This triggers a function to let the wheel move all the way to its extended position.

I read it on here and it worked for me.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:03 PM
craig-o
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by drtyTshrt
Try pulling the switch to move the wheel towards you and hold it in this position for a couple of seconds.

Do this 5 times holding the switch for a second or two each time.
That's the procedure for resetting the stops, which I've already tried to no avail. As I said, the motor works, as it retains the memory function and the easy entry/exit. And the switch will move it in 1 direction.

Any other advise before I look up the procedure for removing that switch?

Get notified of new replies

To Telescoping Steering Column fault

Quick Reply: Telescoping Steering Column fault