C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about aftermarket starters

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 01:37 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ? about aftermarket starters

I've been looking over the options available to replace my starter on my C5Z after reading about the issue with the stock starters sometimes failing and taking the section of the block they connect to with them and I'm leaning towards the Powermaster XS 9509. Reviews seem to be generally favorable, and it has some benefits with fitment that may be helpful being compatible with my headers.

But I'm a bit puzzled by the wiring. The 9509 appears to only have two electrical terminals, yet the stock starter has three. So I'm not real sure about what to do with that extra wire I will wind up having. I searched for install instruction on the 9509 but what I am reading there doesn't really give me a warm and fuzzy. Saying it may or may not be needed...

http://www.powermastermotorsports.co..._GMMiniSta.pdf

Well, that's all well and good, but I want to know ahead of time what to expect. Not have the headers off and the car up on the lift and THEN discover this isn't just a point and shoot installation.

Anyone got any advice about this wiring issue?

Any issues getting the wires to reach those terminals on the side of the Powermaster instead of being on the back of the solenoid as they are on the stock starter?
Old 01-24-2016, 01:57 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Don't know about using those starters I used this one ,longer bolt and uses the normal wiring, 8000 miles the past summer no issues !!!
Amazon.com: Quality-Built 6492SN Supreme Domestic Starter - New: Automotive Amazon.com: Quality-Built 6492SN Supreme Domestic Starter - New: Automotive
The following users liked this post:
hatewhatownsyou (08-08-2017)
Old 01-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Get a Bosch, wrap a heat sink around it, and it will be plug and play.
It even comes with the extra long bolt that you'll need.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:21 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
Well I haven't ruled out getting a stock starter (that will use two long bolts), but I'm still leaning towards the Powermaster product mentioned earlier if the wiring question can be resolved.

Thanks...
Old 01-24-2016, 07:54 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This thread interests me as well. I'm torn between a new Bosch unit or a reman Delco from trucks/suvs which apparently is a little smaller.

Amazon.com: Bosch SR8581N New Starter: Automotive Amazon.com: Bosch SR8581N New Starter: Automotive

Amazon.com: ACDelco 336-1932A Professional Starter, Remanufactured: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 336-1932A Professional Starter, Remanufactured: Automotive
Old 01-24-2016, 08:25 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I replaced mine with the Bosch with the long bolt replacement and have not had any problems with it. I think it was around $100.00 shipped. Well made and hooked up the same as the oem that I took off.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:07 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Last C5
Originally Posted by zachaeous
I replaced mine with the Bosch with the long bolt replacement and have not had any problems with it. I think it was around $100.00 shipped. Well made and hooked up the same as the oem that I took off.
same here, bosch # SR8581N, wrapped with thermal heat wrap, coated headers, no problems whatsoever... I only replaced my oem starter due to the horror stories I've seen of the block cracking and since I already had the headers out of the way while doing the clutch I figured it was worth doing instead of having to drop the headers again later on
Old 01-24-2016, 10:10 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
same here, bosch # SR8581N, wrapped with thermal heat wrap, coated headers, no problems whatsoever... I only replaced my oem starter due to the horror stories I've seen of the block cracking and since I already had the headers out of the way while doing the clutch I figured it was worth doing instead of having to drop the headers again later on
same here, was installing headers and didn't want the broken block the 90 bucks was worth it to me !!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To ? about aftermarket starters

Quick Reply: ? about aftermarket starters