C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Needed! Loud drivetrain screeching / grinding

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 04:45 PM
luffy
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Help Needed! Loud drivetrain screeching / grinding

Hi, looking for some help from the community on an issue that came up today.

Took my A&A supercharged C5 clutch out for a drive today. The car was on the highway, at approximately 60 mph when a loud screeching / grinding noise started from what felt like the clutch / bell housing area. I was able to limp the car home as it was driveable but loud.

Car spec:
Heads, cam, long tubes, A&A, 570whp, 6 speed
Twin disk ACT Clutch, remote bleeder
Stock torque tube, transmission & clutch

Symptoms:
Loud (turned heads from people walking down the street) grinding / squeeling noise from shifter area when inside
Noise is consistent and gets louder with speed, but will remain clutch in or out, moving or stopped. For some reason, clutch in, in first gear while not moving, the noise goes away. Immediately starts when the car is moving
Clutch operates normally, can shift through gears, but the shifting feels rough
On deceleration, the drivetrain is jerky / clunky, leading me to believe something with the torque tube failed.
With hood open, noise is definitely coming from rear of engine, no noise from belts / front.

Prior to today's events, I would notice a popping / pinging sound under heavy load conditions. A post I found described something similar as being a broken or damaged bolt associated with the torque tube.

Any thoughts on where to start looking? I will try and take a video tonight. Any help or insight would be appreciated. I'm assuming I'll be dropping the cradle / drivetrain.

Edit: Just moved the car, noise to vary with clutch engagement, but does not full disappear once clutch is depressed

Last edited by luffy; 10-11-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:09 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

LOL!! You KNOW that you need to pull the drive train out!

My guess is,,,, you have a busted rubber coupler or 2. Start there and see where it gets ya.

SOME RECOMMENDATIONS:

While its apart, change the slave cyl, throw out bearing and pilot bearing!!
Old 10-12-2018, 12:01 PM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
LOL!! You KNOW that you need to pull the drive train out!

My guess is,,,, you have a busted rubber coupler or 2. Start there and see where it gets ya.

SOME RECOMMENDATIONS:

While its apart, change the slave cyl, throw out bearing and pilot bearing!!
Had the couplers go bad in my a4 car. Sounded like a can full of rocks. It is quite the project but doable in your garage if you are handy. Ask me how I know.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rque-tube.html

Good Luck
Old 10-12-2018, 01:59 PM
luffy
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks guys, just picked up some 6 ton jack stands today and warned the wife I'd be out in the garage for the next while....

I get the feeling the couplers are gone in the torque tube and took out the pilot bearing in the process. Will replace throw out bearing while I'm at it.
The following users liked this post:
VFR RC46 (10-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Help Needed! Loud drivetrain screeching / grinding

Quick Reply: Help Needed! Loud drivetrain screeching / grinding