C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current draw Courtesy Relay

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 08:36 AM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Current draw Courtesy Relay

I've chased it down to this bad ****.....so I thought. Using a amp hound & my Fluke on the ground side of the battery, every fuse cct is good other than #25 which shows .080a. Sleep draw is .210a until I pull the courtesy relay then it idles down nicely to 21ma......

I thought last season I would live without courtesy lights, the battery still would go flat within several days of being parked.

This afternooon I revisited trying to determine why the battery was still dying.

Re tested & all seem to verify last season, it's the courtesy relay cct. I started playing with the interior light dim control & some inconsistencies began to show. With & without the courtesy relay back in.

Then I pressed the light button on the interior rear view, that created some havoc with current draw. I turned the mirror lights off & watched the idle current as it went into sleep mode...it's back to .210a with the courtesy relay pulled.

Could not find a fuse specific to the interior mirror & vanity, turned them on & went with the amp hound & found #2 was the current fuse. Pulled the fuse & confirmed the mirror & vanity lights did not work.

The courtesy relay was in @ this point & sleep draw was .210a, pulled it & down the sleep current went.

I'm a little lost & my single brain cell is hurt'n

Right now I've #2 fuse pulled & the courtesy relay & it goes to sleep in the 20ma area.

Any idea's where I might go?
Old 04-24-2016, 10:05 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

If you need the schematic for both circuits I can do that. Need your year.

Mr. Sam
Old 04-24-2016, 10:09 AM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Schematic's would be a huge help, it's a 2001
Old 04-24-2016, 02:10 PM
CTD
Melting Slicks

I fully charged the battery last evening so I have good capacity & verified what I learned yesterday.

A) Courtesy relay in & doors closed sleep current will drop to 210ma & sit there forever. Pull the relay & within 2 minutes sleep current is down to 20ma.

B) With courtesy relay removed then activate vanity or mirror interior light & turn off. Sleep current will not go below 210ma exactly the same as A. Pull fuse #2 & it idle down to 20ma within 2 minutes

C) When sleep current is 210ma fuse #19 has a 80ma draw, measuring across the fuse with an amp hound. When idle current drops to 20ma no draw accros #19.

D) All interior lights operate correctly, turn on & off.

Any idea's? It seems to be pointing to BCM that operates the interior lights.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:52 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Here are the schematics

https://www.dropbox.com/s/motj9f88ql...Lamps.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jy5ka56wrp...Lamps.pdf?dl=0

Will look at your last post a little later.

Mr. Sam
Old 04-25-2016, 07:58 AM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Perfect, thank you!

I think I'm on the right track, I think either of the two cct's that wake the BCM maybe the issue. I'm not sure where the 210ma draw is, I did not pull relay 37. My guess is that the BCM does not fully turn off thru coil of the relay, pulling 37 would have confirmed that.

I'm watching that Tech2 post as I've been thinking trying one......it looks difficult to learn how tp use properly. I can get around HPT pretty good so maybe I can figure the Tech2 out
Old 04-25-2016, 11:11 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Using the Tech 2 is easy and I have some info I can post to help when I get home.

You can always get help here also.

Mr. Sam
Old 04-26-2016, 05:52 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Here you go.

http://fr.slideshare.net/obd2motor/u...mmming-scanner

Great paths info from GM:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...101-paths.html

Mr. Sam
Old 04-26-2016, 09:56 AM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Tx's again Mr. Sam, I'm going check with T Vert in the other thread & see how he makes out with Tech2 he has ordered.

I'm tracking my battery surface voltage & current draw with the fuse & relay removed. Overnight battery went from 12.76 to 12.63 & in the 20ma draw area.

I found a BCM relearn procedure, does anyone know if this resets the module. My battery is disconnected over the winter months & the draw issue has been going a least a couple of seasons. I'm wondering if the re learn would work any differently than the battery disconnect?
Old 04-26-2016, 11:22 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

The relearn only allows the BCM to "talk" correctly to the PCM for a handshake as they say.

Rebooting the BCM by disconnecting the battery might do something.

Mr. Sam

Get notified of new replies

To Current draw Courtesy Relay

Quick Reply: Current draw Courtesy Relay